Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Mark Helfrich, former Oregon coach, is reportedly being tabbed as the OC under Nagy.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

After doing some research on this guy, I love it.
-Shu
wab
Mod

Nagy is putting together a hell of an offensive staff. Helfrich is widely considered a Chip Kelly disciple, but he really came up under Dirk Koetter.

I like it.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Hell yes. I’ve expressed my love for Helfrich in a couple other threads so I won’t do it here again other than to say this is a damn good hire and no one should be happier than Mitch.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

When I heard who was available at OC, and I did some reading on Helfrich, I really like the hire. Seems like he will fit into the 'teaching' mold really well. Doesn't feel the need to call plays. Will probably be the OC/QB coach. Obviously he was pivotal in the install of one of the most complex, and dynamic NCAA I offenses in a couple decades. Helfrich will know how to to the most out of his QB, and how to teach, while installing the offense. Love it.
UOK
Site Admin

@AdamSchefter
1m
Bears now have hired former Oregon HC Mark Helfrich as their offensive coordinator, per source.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Giggity. These are dream hires for me.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Giggity. These are dream hires for me.

I’m going to fall asleep tonight with visions of RPO’s and inverted veer dancing in my head.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I just...I love, love the hire. But...

I remember going through this enthusiasm in previous years, only to be let down and my heart trampled on. This feels different though. It feels like Pace and Nagy are putting together a young coaching staff, of talented teachers. It feels like they are moving forward with conviction. Was it like this in the past and I don't remember? Did it feel this way when Trestman was putting together his staff, or Fox his? Does it genuinely feel different this time? I think it feels different.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

We finally have an entire offensive staff that knows how (and how not) to use Cohen.

Giggity.

wab
Mod

Yeah, this feels different. The only feeling I remember having that was similar was when the Bears landed Gase. But even then it was bittersweet because we all knew he was a one year guy.
malk
Head Coach

Where these guys being courted by anyone else? Super happy with the hires from what I read but by the same token it would seem odd that they weren't in demand?

If they were then it's another feather in the cap for Pace and Nagy. Maybe one feather each.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Where these guys being courted by anyone else? Super happy with the hires from what I read but by the same token it would seem odd that they weren't in demand?

If they were then it's another feather in the cap for Pace and Nagy. Maybe one feather each.
Chip Kelly was really trying to get Helfrich on his staff as OC at UCLA, and he had also been rumored as a candidate for the Texas job. It's not like no one was looking at him. Hiestand is widely regarded as the best OL coach in the country, used to work for the Bears, and decided to come back to the NFL after being in ND (and putting together, inarguably one of the best OL's in the nation).
wab
Mod

malk wrote:Where these guys being courted by anyone else? Super happy with the hires from what I read but by the same token it would seem odd that they weren't in demand?

Hiestand left ND where he could have stayed for the rest of his life, and Helfrich turned down the Bruins OC job to come to the Bears. So, something must be working in Chicago right now.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:

Hiestand left ND where he could have stayed for the rest of his life, and Helfrich turned down the Bruins OC job to come to the Bears. So, something must be working in Chicago right now.
Hilfrich was also being courted by the AZ Wildcats to be their head coach.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

Honestly, its the Cubs all over again. Coaches, athletes, competitors want to win in a city that loves sports. No one wants to go to Jacksonville to win a Super Bowl, nobody gives a shit down there. Competitors want to go where, 1) the team has a rabid fan base, 2) haven't won in a long time. The Bears haven't won the SB in 32 years. Everyone coming here knows that they can be rock stars if they can pull it off. That Chicago will throw them an epic party that will last for weeks. I said it before. Watch what happens when FA opens. I bet we snag 3-4 big names, that want to be here.
malk
Head Coach

Thanks all, sounds even better now and it was pretty damn good already.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Switching to a fast paced cutting edge offense is very unbears-like.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:

Honestly, its the Cubs all over again. Coaches, athletes, competitors want to win in a city that loves sports. No one wants to go to Jacksonville to win a Super Bowl, nobody gives a shit down there. Competitors want to go where, 1) the team has a rabid fan base, 2) haven't won in a long time. The Bears haven't won the SB in 32 years. Everyone coming here knows that they can be rock stars if they can pull it off. That Chicago will throw them an epic party that will last for weeks. I said it before. Watch what happens when FA opens. I bet we snag 3-4 big names, that want to be here.
Something I hadn't really considered but is so, so true is just how REVERED being a head coach of the Bears means. A lot of guys grew up idolizing Ditka, Buddy Ryan, the 46, the 85 champions. They've seen recently just how glorious it can be to mold a winner in Chicago, as the Blackhawks and Cubs have turned things around and are now forever glorified.

They go to Chicago and see all the restaurants named after coaches, players, and broadcasters. They see the city embrace winners by literally lighting up the skyline for the playoffs. They see the crowds of millions show up to the championship parades. They want that. They want to make history.

Beyond that? Chicago is an incredible city. Best restaurants in the United States, incredible place to live, and if you do right by them, they'll love you forever.
wab
Mod

staleystarch wrote:Switching to a fast paced cutting edge offense is very unbears-like.
It's almost like the Bears have recognized the direction the league is heading and are hiring people accordingly. This is a very confusing time to be a fan...
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
staleystarch wrote:Switching to a fast paced cutting edge offense is very unbears-like.
It's almost like the Bears have recognized the direction the league is heading and are hiring people accordingly. This is a very confusing time to be a fan...
I'm just crossing my fingers this more like hiring Bill Walsh than Gary Crowton.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:

Jesus I'm turning into the debbie downer aren't I? I'm not excited about anything. CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, but I've read this story before... Trestman's an offensive genius and is going to bring our offense into the 21st century, OMG look at those Alshon reverses that always go for 10+ yards! Ok he failed but John Fox just got ADAM FUCKING GASE! Did you see what he did in Denver!? He's going to bring our offense into the 21st century.

I'm just... I'm pumping the breaks until I actually see it in a meaningful game. It sucks, I hate it, and I genuinely am jealous of ya'll that are excited because that used to be me.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:

Jesus I'm turning into the debbie downer aren't I? I'm not excited about anything. CAUTIOUSLY optimistic, but I've read this story before... Trestman's an offensive genius and is going to bring our offense into the 21st century, OMG look at those Alshon reverses that always go for 10+ yards! Ok he failed but John Fox just got ADAM FUCKING GASE! Did you see what he did in Denver!? He's going to bring our offense into the 21st century.

I'm just... I'm pumping the breaks until I actually see it in a meaningful game. It sucks, I hate it, and I genuinely am jealous of ya'll that are excited because that used to be me.
Ha ha, it's weird because it's like you and I have switched places with this coaching change. I used to be all "eh, I guess we'll see" and you were all "wheeeeeeee!".
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

You don't get cutting edge if you don't take a swing.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Who are you talking about?

Helfrich was being pursued by Arizona for the HC position and Texas for the OC position.

Hiestand was being pursued by (according to reports) 4 NFL teams.

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Ha ha, it's weird because it's like you and I have switched places with this coaching change. I used to be all "eh, I guess we'll see" and you were all "wheeeeeeee!".
Sigh. I miss being "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Lots of people on the radio saying the same shit, maybe the talkshow hosts will get me out of it.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:

Ha ha, it's weird because it's like you and I have switched places with this coaching change. I used to be all "eh, I guess we'll see" and you were all "wheeeeeeee!".
I will say. This transformation is not happening next year. I could see the Bears outperforming expectations next year, and maybe even earning a WC spot. But they are still 2-3 years away from real success.
G08
Hall of Famer

Brad Childress said that the QB really doesn't hit his stride in this offense until year 3, 4, 5 of being in the same system. So we need to keep this in mind as well dudes.

IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: ... Honestly, its the Cubs all over again. Coaches, athletes, competitors want to win in a city that loves sports. No one wants to go to Jacksonville to win a Super Bowl, nobody gives a shit down there ..
I'll use this quote to emphasize a different point.

It's about the city and the excitement but it is also about winning and losing.

Jacksonville used to be seen as a wasteland -- a joke. A totally backwards franchise. (Remember when everyone was clamoring from them to sign Tebow just to get some excitement?

Fast forward to one season with Coughlin in place and now all of a sudden the Jags are flying high (even with an inept quarterback.) They're seen as tough, disciplined, and on the rise. As someone said, "Winning is a wonderful deodorant."

I am excited about the moves we're making -- they seem to be sensible, well tough-out, and forward thinking. The bottom line however, is that we need to see some results on the field next fall. If we can do that, none of the other stuff will matter.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: ... Honestly, its the Cubs all over again. Coaches, athletes, competitors want to win in a city that loves sports. No one wants to go to Jacksonville to win a Super Bowl, nobody gives a shit down there ..
I'll use this quote to emphasize a different point.

It's about the city and the excitement but it is also about winning and losing.

Jacksonville used to be seen as a wasteland -- a joke. A totally backwards franchise. (Remember when everyone was clamoring from them to sign Tebow just to get some excitement?

Fast forward to one season with Coughlin in place and now all of a sudden the Jags are flying high (even with an inept quarterback.) They're seen as tough, disciplined, and on the rise. As someone said, "Winning is a wonderful deodorant."

I am excited about the moves we're making -- they seem to be sensible, well tough-out, and forward thinking. The bottom line however, is that we need to see some results on the field next fall. If we can do that, none of the other stuff will matter.
100% agree. But players and coaches are football smart way beyond our level. They know who the good coaches are. they hear the internal talk about the good GM's and the bad ones. The franchises that are headed in the right direction, and the ones that aren't. They also travel all over the US playing other teams, and see every fanbase out there. They see a half full Miami Dolphins stadium in September, and a rabid fanbase in November when its 25*, and Soldier Field is PACKED. They see all of that. All I'm saying is that when a team starts heading in the right direction, coaches and players know it. The FA period will be a big tell as to who is actually buying into this rebuild. Players want to win and win big. For the fame, the endorsements, the money. They will go where they think they have the best chance to get that, and all things being equal, they would rather do it in a city like Chicago than Jacksonville.