Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 am

G08 wrote:
wab wrote: Ha ha, it's weird because it's like you and I have switched places with this coaching change. I used to be all "eh, I guess we'll see" and you were all "wheeeeeeee!".
Sigh. I miss being "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Lots of people on the radio saying the same shit, maybe the talkshow hosts will get me out of it.
Lower expectations make good "better", and worse "not do bad".

We do this every off-season. However I can give reasons why this won't work just as easily as I can why it will.

In the end Nagy could be fantastic, yet this team still needs a lot more talent.
User avatar
donkeykong
Journeyman
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I just...I love, love the hire. But...

I remember going through this enthusiasm in previous years, only to be let down and my heart trampled on. This feels different though. It feels like Pace and Nagy are putting together a young coaching staff, of talented teachers. It feels like they are moving forward with conviction. Was it like this in the past and I don't remember? Did it feel this way when Trestman was putting together his staff, or Fox his? Does it genuinely feel different this time? I think it feels different.
It genuinely feels different!

I wasn’t AT ALL excited about Trestman and, being that the Broncos are my second favorite team, I wasn’t AT ALL excited about Fox! I loathed the Fox hire because I didn’t feel a single win in Denver was attributed to him, they didn’t need him there, they needed a DC and had Manning. That’s it, he didn’t do anything and his record shouldn’t count...he stood there, Manning tossed TD’s, and when they actually needed a coach in the Super Bowl they got the man we’ve been looking at on the sidelines for 3 years getting out coached in every aspect, end of story.

The game has evolved and changed. As ridiculous as this sounds...these young coaches played Madden like the rest of the people their age when they were kids. This old mentality of these stupid unwritten rules where you take knees and “respect” your opponents so you don’t score are going away! The game has moved past that with these younger coaches. Look at LA, you hang 50 on your opponent whenever you can and you win the game. NE has been so successful because their HC has been playing by these “new rules” for 15 years now. The Patriots, whom I loathe, get a lead and then pile on points until the final whistle, just like we did to our buddy’s playing Madden when we were kids and into our adulthood. Nobody is given a chance to come back because they quit playing or went up by 14 in the 2nd quarter and tried to run the clock out for the remainder of the game.

The game passed Fox by...these new coaches are who passed him, and I for one, couldn’t be more excited.
User avatar
pus
Crafty Veteran
Location: Earth
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 pm

donkeykong wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I just...I love, love the hire. But...

I remember going through this enthusiasm in previous years, only to be let down and my heart trampled on. This feels different though. It feels like Pace and Nagy are putting together a young coaching staff, of talented teachers. It feels like they are moving forward with conviction. Was it like this in the past and I don't remember? Did it feel this way when Trestman was putting together his staff, or Fox his? Does it genuinely feel different this time? I think it feels different.
It genuinely feels different!

I wasn’t AT ALL excited about Trestman and, being that the Broncos are my second favorite team, I wasn’t AT ALL excited about Fox! I loathed the Fox hire because I didn’t feel a single win in Denver was attributed to him, they didn’t need him there, they needed a DC and had Manning. That’s it, he didn’t do anything and his record shouldn’t count...he stood there, Manning tossed TD’s, and when they actually needed a coach in the Super Bowl they got the man we’ve been looking at on the sidelines for 3 years getting out coached in every aspect, end of story.

The game has evolved and changed. As ridiculous as this sounds...these young coaches played Madden like the rest of the people their age when they were kids. This old mentality of these stupid unwritten rules where you take knees and “respect” your opponents so you don’t score are going away! The game has moved past that with these younger coaches. Look at LA, you hang 50 on your opponent whenever you can and you win the game. NE has been so successful because their HC has been playing by these “new rules” for 15 years now. The Patriots, whom I loathe, get a lead and then pile on points until the final whistle, just like we did to our buddy’s playing Madden when we were kids and into our adulthood. Nobody is given a chance to come back because they quit playing or went up by 14 in the 2nd quarter and tried to run the clock out for the remainder of the game.

The game passed Fox by...these new coaches are who passed him, and I for one, couldn’t be more excited.


I share your gripes about Fox, but I have a different take about the "Pre-Madden era" and today's game.

Running up the score when you can do so is not a new game-day coaching strategy.

this----- when I was a kid I heard a very highly successful nfl head coach talking on TV: the coach (a major asshole) said he liked to get a couple touchdowns up and put another touchdown on top of it and another touchdown on top of that - only then would he maybe get a little conservative and play to eat up the clock - that was in the 1960's and it stuck since then with me as a very sound principle of game-day coaching that most of the truly "elite" coaches have followed. Obviously this would not include Coach Fox.

In my opinion its about making the other team feel like they're beaten so they just want to get it over with. Sure, it can be kind of boring in the 4Q against lesser opponents but its fun as shit when we smear the real asshole teams.
:drool:
It's football, it's not brain surgery. Have some fun." - Mike Ditka

Image
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Soooooooo

Considering Grasu was the starting C for Helfrich... are we to assume he's safe here? And that he might even be a starter?
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
docc
Head Coach
Location: Dry Heat
Posts: 2431
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:24 pm

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
malk wrote:Where these guys being courted by anyone else? Super happy with the hires from what I read but by the same token it would seem odd that they weren't in demand?

If they were then it's another feather in the cap for Pace and Nagy. Maybe one feather each.
Hiestand left ND where he could have stayed for the rest of his life, and Helfrich turned down the Bruins OC job to come to the Bears. So, something must be working in Chicago right now.
Hilfrich was also being courted by the AZ Wildcats to be their head coach.
Here in Tucson..It would have been AWESOME..
Divided loyalties..I am an Illini alum..40 years in Tucson so Wildcat fan..and 63+ years as a Bear man..
Went to my first game at Wrigley in 1955..!!!!!!!!!!!

I Played at Illinois//
And first game here at AZ Wildcats in 1974..
Fuck me dry..
Last edited by docc on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3224
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm

G08 wrote:Soooooooo

Considering Grasu was the starting C for Helfrich... are we to assume he's safe here? And that he might even be a starter?
Excellent question. My guess is that he sticks around for his contract year and they'll decide. Nagy did say that he'd review the tape of the current guys. I believe we've been using a zone blocking scheme, similar in some ways to what we'd expect from Nagy & Helfrich. That Grasu tape isn't going to say "starter".
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
Adipost
MVP
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:54 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 am

G08 wrote:Brad Childress said that the QB really doesn't hit his stride in this offense until year 3, 4, 5 of being in the same system. So we need to keep this in mind as well dudes.
LOL. That excuse is not gonna fly.
User avatar
FaithInCutler
MVP
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 am

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Brad Childress said that the QB really doesn't hit his stride in this offense until year 3, 4, 5 of being in the same system. So we need to keep this in mind as well dudes.
LOL. That excuse is not gonna fly.
It’s not an excuse, it’s realistic.

Just because someone hits their stride doesn’t mean they played poorly before. It just means they “figure it all out” and it comes easier.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am

FaithInCutler wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Brad Childress said that the QB really doesn't hit his stride in this offense until year 3, 4, 5 of being in the same system. So we need to keep this in mind as well dudes.
LOL. That excuse is not gonna fly.
It’s not an excuse, it’s realistic.

Just because someone hits their stride doesn’t mean they played poorly before. It just means they “figure it all out” and it comes easier.
Yep. It's reality... QBs hit their stride, typically, in year 3 of being in the same scheme.

Alex Smith's career in this system, by rating:

89.1
93.4
95.4
91.2
104.7
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach
Location: England
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am

G08 wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Brad Childress said that the QB really doesn't hit his stride in this offense until year 3, 4, 5 of being in the same system. So we need to keep this in mind as well dudes.
LOL. That excuse is not gonna fly.
It’s not an excuse, it’s realistic.

Just because someone hits their stride doesn’t mean they played poorly before. It just means they “figure it all out” and it comes easier.
Yep. It's reality... QBs hit their stride, typically, in year 3 of being in the same scheme.

Alex Smith's career in this system, by rating:

89.1
93.4
95.4
91.2
104.7
Or if your Dak Prescott by year three you’ve been well and truly found out
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Heard an interesting blurb on the radio about Helfrich failing at Oregon:

All his players loved him. ALL the players, they said he was the nicest guy in the world. He just didn't have that switch a head coach needs at times to demand respect from everyone and it ultimately was what did him in.

Here? I think this might work out very well... Trubisky is a respectful young man and I don't think he would need someone that is screaming and tearing into him.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
mshu7
Player of the Month
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm

G08 wrote:Heard an interesting blurb on the radio about Helfrich failing at Oregon:

All his players loved him. ALL the players, they said he was the nicest guy in the world. He just didn't have that switch a head coach needs at times to demand respect from everyone and it ultimately was what did him in.

Here? I think this might work out very well... Trubisky is a respectful young man and I don't think he would need someone that is screaming and tearing into him.
I've read good things about him as well, but from my understanding, it was his recruiting that killed him as a HC. That's why they were still really good after Kelly left, but once Kelly's players were gone, Oregon went downhill quickly.

Overall, sounds like we don't need to worry about him leaving to be a HC. Doesn't sound like he's cut out for it.
-Shu
sturf
Journeyman
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

So he doesn't have to recruit. He doesn't have to lead the team or be the disciplinarian. He can just focus on teaching offensive football and game planning.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

sturf wrote:So he doesn't have to recruit. He doesn't have to lead the team or be the disciplinarian. He can just focus on teaching offensive football and game planning.
Bingo. Bring in new concepts and ideas, work with your coaching staff and your offense, and teach teach teach.

I like that he has head coaching experience, should help Nagy on gameday.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7736
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

G08 wrote:
sturf wrote:So he doesn't have to recruit. He doesn't have to lead the team or be the disciplinarian. He can just focus on teaching offensive football and game planning.
Bingo. Bring in new concepts and ideas, work with your coaching staff and your offense, and teach teach teach.

I like that he has head coaching experience, should help Nagy on gameday.
I actually expect him to double as the QB Coach as well. He will be OC/QB Coach. No reason not to if he isn't calling plays.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
sturf wrote:So he doesn't have to recruit. He doesn't have to lead the team or be the disciplinarian. He can just focus on teaching offensive football and game planning.
Bingo. Bring in new concepts and ideas, work with your coaching staff and your offense, and teach teach teach.

I like that he has head coaching experience, should help Nagy on gameday.
I actually expect him to double as the QB Coach as well. He will be OC/QB Coach. No reason not to if he isn't calling plays.

Other than that this is the NFL and there isn't a limit on the number of coaches you can have on staff (like in college) and there isn't a salary cap for coaches contracts. Zero reason not to have a QB coach on staff.

I fully expect that Helfrich will be working with Trubisky - but even without game-day play-calling responsibilities Helfrich will have plenty on his plate and the Bears would be better served by having a dedicated QB coach in addition to Helfrich.
*^*Team Vita Vea*^*

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
sturf wrote:So he doesn't have to recruit. He doesn't have to lead the team or be the disciplinarian. He can just focus on teaching offensive football and game planning.
Bingo. Bring in new concepts and ideas, work with your coaching staff and your offense, and teach teach teach.

I like that he has head coaching experience, should help Nagy on gameday.
I actually expect him to double as the QB Coach as well. He will be OC/QB Coach. No reason not to if he isn't calling plays.

Other than that this is the NFL and there isn't a limit on the number of coaches you can have on staff (like in college) and there isn't a salary cap for coaches contracts. Zero reason not to have a QB coach on staff.

I fully expect that Helfrich will be working with Trubisky - but even without game-day play-calling responsibilities Helfrich will have plenty on his plate and the Bears would be better served by having a dedicated QB coach in addition to Helfrich.
There will be a body but Helfrich will be the lead QB coach you'd imagine.

It kind of makes me thing we should stash a #3 QB as a coach just to rub it in the league's face after they denied Nagy his NFL game for that reason.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

“As far as Mark Helfrich, here’s a guy who’s been in the college world,” Nagy said. “It’s a little bit different than in the league. But I was really intrigued by the stuff that they do out there. I was intrigued talking to Mark; just some of our philosophies and him knowing what we do offensively and being able to kind of get to a point to where we can kind of mesh some things together and see how it works. So it’s been a really neat transition for him. It’s been great for me learning more about him and what they do and what they did at Oregon and his philosophy in his career, so I’m really looking forward to that.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 8205e97ba4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Hematite
Player of the Month
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

UOK wrote:“As far as Mark Helfrich, here’s a guy who’s been in the college world,” Nagy said. “It’s a little bit different than in the league. But I was really intrigued by the stuff that they do out there. I was intrigued talking to Mark; just some of our philosophies and him knowing what we do offensively and being able to kind of get to a point to where we can kind of mesh some things together and see how it works. So it’s been a really neat transition for him. It’s been great for me learning more about him and what they do and what they did at Oregon and his philosophy in his career, so I’m really looking forward to that.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 8205e97ba4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's Nagy's offense, dammit!! Just kidding and not directed at you. This is what I was intriqued by. The fact that Nagy chose Helfrich over all other candidates speaks to his offensive philosphy he wants to incorporate which will include many Kelly/Helfrich concepts blended into the WCO. I can't wait!!
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7736
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm

UOK wrote:“As far as Mark Helfrich, here’s a guy who’s been in the college world,” Nagy said. “It’s a little bit different than in the league. But I was really intrigued by the stuff that they do out there. I was intrigued talking to Mark; just some of our philosophies and him knowing what we do offensively and being able to kind of get to a point to where we can kind of mesh some things together and see how it works. So it’s been a really neat transition for him. It’s been great for me learning more about him and what they do and what they did at Oregon and his philosophy in his career, so I’m really looking forward to that.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 8205e97ba4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oooohhhh....this is what I wanted to hear. It makes me all tingly inside.

Image
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am

Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/peopl ... an-howard/
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7736
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/peopl ... an-howard/
I mean, this, this, this;
In other words Howard has averaged a whopping 6.05 yards per carry running out of the shotgun formation. The fact the Bears only did it 35 times in 2017 despite having a mobile QB like Trubisky for 12 of those games? That’s criminal negligence.
It just further solidifies the possibility of a complete offensive turnaround for 2018.
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/peopl ... an-howard/
I mean, this, this, this;
In other words Howard has averaged a whopping 6.05 yards per carry running out of the shotgun formation. The fact the Bears only did it 35 times in 2017 despite having a mobile QB like Trubisky for 12 of those games? That’s criminal negligence.
It just further solidifies the possibility of a complete offensive turnaround for 2018.
It's irrelevant now but I'm still completely baffled by this turnaround. No change in HC or OC, we draft a QB that would likely operate well out of the gun and we just stop using it. The only thing that would make any sense is Pace issuing a pretty strong message that he wanted Trubisky to lean how to play under centre but that seems like a massive stretch.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7736
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/peopl ... an-howard/
I mean, this, this, this;
In other words Howard has averaged a whopping 6.05 yards per carry running out of the shotgun formation. The fact the Bears only did it 35 times in 2017 despite having a mobile QB like Trubisky for 12 of those games? That’s criminal negligence.
It just further solidifies the possibility of a complete offensive turnaround for 2018.
It's irrelevant now but I'm still completely baffled by this turnaround. No change in HC or OC, we draft a QB that would likely operate well out of the gun and we just stop using it. The only thing that would make any sense is Pace issuing a pretty strong message that he wanted Trubisky to lean how to play under centre but that seems like a massive stretch.
Not a massive stretch at all. I have no doubt that part of this last year was focused on the development of Trubisky. Granted they should have gone to that shotgun play more often. But a large portion of his play this year was getting experience playing under center. Now, we won't see much of it with Nagy/Hellfrich, but Biscuits didn't do it at all in NC, and needed to learn how in the NFL.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am

For as much as we bagged on Loggains and friends last season, I thought they did a heck of a job developing Trubisky. It was night-and-day compared to his first couple starts in the league. Solid base with which to work next season.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

I think Loggians could teach fundamentals and a pretty good "coach" but he couldn't scheme worth a shit.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 pm

I've been a broken record with this but I want Shaheen to cut weight down to about 260 lbs, I think that's going to unlock some speed and balance for the kid.

The worry I have with the Howard/Cohen dynamic is tipping our hand.

Kareem Hunt played 64.75% of the Chiefs' offensive snaps (665 snaps), rushed the ball 272 times and was targeted 63 times in the passing game. So roughly 50% of the time he was on the field he was either rushing the ball or had a pass go his way.

Tyreek Hill played 75.56% of their snaps and had 122 combined looks. 18.34% of the time he was on the field he had the ball go his way.

That mix, I presume, is going to be different for Howard/Cohen. I honestly think that Howard is going to get a bulk of the carries, and Cohen is going to have a hybrid WR/RB role for us next season. Otherwise, you're tipping your hand way too much for my taste.

I'm anticipating a lot of shotgun, single back looks with Cohen outside or in the slot. RPOs with some ghost jet action from Cohen (sprinkled in with some reverses to keep defenses honest) and Howard punishing defenders on inside/outside zone.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 pm

i think it's entirely possible that Cohen spends most of his time at WR.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm

wab wrote:i think it's entirely possible that Cohen spends most of his time at WR.
Wouldn't shock me one single bit, man. Kid ran solid routes for someone that hardly played the position in college. Plus, dude has HUGE mitts.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Shaheen and Cohen being better utilised, or just better after their rookie years, could really unlock this offence for Nagy.

With Cohen I agree that it needs to be via him being out wide or in the slot. It's not mainly the touches but the yards per reception that need need to go up. His routes are nice so I'm looking forward to seeing how we can scheme that minimises his height being an issue. Minimises his height. Lol.

For Shaheen it's just about those touches! 12 receptions on 14 targets means get that kid more targets. Bin off Sims, make this kid a feature, and see if he steps up to the mark.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

Return to “Halas Hall”