View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am 
MVP

Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/people-ignoring-good-mark-helfrich-will-jordan-howard/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 am 
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Some good Jordan Howard stats in here. I remember many of us wondering why we refused to use the shotgun this season, especially since we used it so frequently and were relatively successful out of it the year before...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/01/people-ignoring-good-mark-helfrich-will-jordan-howard/

I mean, this, this, this;

Quote:
In other words Howard has averaged a whopping 6.05 yards per carry running out of the shotgun formation. The fact the Bears only did it 35 times in 2017 despite having a mobile QB like Trubisky for 12 of those games? That’s criminal negligence.

It just further solidifies the possibility of a complete offensive turnaround for 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am 
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Quote:
In other words Howard has averaged a whopping 6.05 yards per carry running out of the shotgun formation. The fact the Bears only did it 35 times in 2017 despite having a mobile QB like Trubisky for 12 of those games? That’s criminal negligence.

It just further solidifies the possibility of a complete offensive turnaround for 2018.

It's irrelevant now but I'm still completely baffled by this turnaround. No change in HC or OC, we draft a QB that would likely operate well out of the gun and we just stop using it. The only thing that would make any sense is Pace issuing a pretty strong message that he wanted Trubisky to lean how to play under centre but that seems like a massive stretch.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am 
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Quote:

It's irrelevant now but I'm still completely baffled by this turnaround. No change in HC or OC, we draft a QB that would likely operate well out of the gun and we just stop using it. The only thing that would make any sense is Pace issuing a pretty strong message that he wanted Trubisky to lean how to play under centre but that seems like a massive stretch.

Not a massive stretch at all. I have no doubt that part of this last year was focused on the development of Trubisky. Granted they should have gone to that shotgun play more often. But a large portion of his play this year was getting experience playing under center. Now, we won't see much of it with Nagy/Hellfrich, but Biscuits didn't do it at all in NC, and needed to learn how in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am 
Hall of Famer

For as much as we bagged on Loggains and friends last season, I thought they did a heck of a job developing Trubisky. It was night-and-day compared to his first couple starts in the league. Solid base with which to work next season.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am 
Mod

I think Loggians could teach fundamentals and a pretty good "coach" but he couldn't scheme worth a shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 pm 
Hall of Famer

I've been a broken record with this but I want Shaheen to cut weight down to about 260 lbs, I think that's going to unlock some speed and balance for the kid.

The worry I have with the Howard/Cohen dynamic is tipping our hand.

Kareem Hunt played 64.75% of the Chiefs' offensive snaps (665 snaps), rushed the ball 272 times and was targeted 63 times in the passing game. So roughly 50% of the time he was on the field he was either rushing the ball or had a pass go his way.

Tyreek Hill played 75.56% of their snaps and had 122 combined looks. 18.34% of the time he was on the field he had the ball go his way.

That mix, I presume, is going to be different for Howard/Cohen. I honestly think that Howard is going to get a bulk of the carries, and Cohen is going to have a hybrid WR/RB role for us next season. Otherwise, you're tipping your hand way too much for my taste.

I'm anticipating a lot of shotgun, single back looks with Cohen outside or in the slot. RPOs with some ghost jet action from Cohen (sprinkled in with some reverses to keep defenses honest) and Howard punishing defenders on inside/outside zone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 pm 
Mod

i think it's entirely possible that Cohen spends most of his time at WR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
i think it's entirely possible that Cohen spends most of his time at WR.

Wouldn't shock me one single bit, man. Kid ran solid routes for someone that hardly played the position in college. Plus, dude has HUGE mitts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm 
Head Coach

Shaheen and Cohen being better utilised, or just better after their rookie years, could really unlock this offence for Nagy.

With Cohen I agree that it needs to be via him being out wide or in the slot. It's not mainly the touches but the yards per reception that need need to go up. His routes are nice so I'm looking forward to seeing how we can scheme that minimises his height being an issue. Minimises his height. Lol.

For Shaheen it's just about those touches! 12 receptions on 14 targets means get that kid more targets. Bin off Sims, make this kid a feature, and see if he steps up to the mark.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next