Baker Mayfield eligible to participate in NFL combine

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Baker Mayfield eligible to participate in NFL combine
Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield's arrest in February won't disqualify him from participating in this year's NFL scouting combine, a league spokesman said Wednesday.

While the list of players invited to Indianapolis for the combine in late February/early March has yet to be finalized, the expectation is that Mayfield, the Heisman Trophy winner, will be among those invited.

In recent years, per NFL policy, some players who had off-field legal issues were not invited to participate. Bengals running back Joe Mixon was the most high-profile case last year.

Mayfield was arrested Feb. 25 in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest. Mayfield reached a plea deal in June and paid fines for several of the charges.

However, because the incident did not involve violence, NFL officials seem not to feel it rises to the level of offense that would preclude a player from participating in the combine.
I think this guy has all the makings of the next Johnny Manziel
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Does he have a documented history of asholedness? I don't know anything about him outside of football so if you got anything lets hear it.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Johnny has family money. Does Baker?
Johnny left college as soon as he could. Did Baker?
Johnny did cocaine. Baker grabbed his nuts.

I totally get the comparison, tho...
wab
Mod

Mayfield isn't anywhere close to Manziel. He's got a bit of an outwardly "fuck you" attitude, but he's not Manziel. Mayfield has the respect of his teammates and is a leader in the Oklahoma locker room. Manziel wanted to make money and be famous. Mayfield wants to win football games.
wab
Mod

I will say that I'm REALLY glad the Bears don't have to dip into this year's QB pool.
Roquenut
Rookie

I think it's okay to have him help our team. I think he will make a difference in the game.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Roquenut wrote:I think it's okay to have him help our team. I think he will make a difference in the game.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Bot
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:I will say that I'm REALLY glad the Bears don't have to dip into this year's QB pool.
This year’s QB crop certainly did not arrive as advertised
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
wab wrote:I will say that I'm REALLY glad the Bears don't have to dip into this year's QB pool.
i cant remember if anyone on this board was saying it, but last season there were plenty out there on other boards who were furious with us trading up for trubs when 2018's class was going to be so much better.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
i cant remember if anyone on this board was saying it, but last season there were plenty out there on other boards who were furious with us trading up for trubs when 2018's class was going to be so much better.
I'll admit that I was PO'd that Pace (and I really like him) traded up for Biscuit and then especially what we gave up to move one slot. We just signed Glennon for $15 million per year for three years. What the heck did we do that for just to draft a guy at #2? Especially with the way the 2018 QB class was being talked about and its not like we weren't going to be right there to draft one of those guys anyway.

I really wanted Solomon Thomas, then Fournette or trading it away.

So far I'm glad Pace did what he did.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think Mayfield is a bust. I see his talent in the college game. But what makes him great in college, won't translate to the NFL that well.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Mayfield will have a Rex Grossman like career in the NFL.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RING4CHI wrote:Mayfield will have a Rex Grossman like career in the NFL.
Grossman got hurt twice then was always spooked by pressure.

You see the same for Mayfield? Hurt early then can't take a hit?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:

I think "too small, overrated & overdrafted, will hang around the league, but won't remotely ever live up to draft position" is a pretty reasonable guess for eventual similarities.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I always wondered how Grossman would’ve turned out had he not gotten hurt so early in his career.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I always wondered how Grossman would’ve turned out had he not gotten hurt so early in his career.
He had a great arm, and was pretty good at the deep ball. I don't think he was that accurate on the short to middle length passes. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly though.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

I think "too small, overrated & overdrafted, will hang around the league, but won't remotely ever live up to draft position" is a pretty reasonable guess for eventual similarities.
Much like the "Good Rex, bad Rex" routine, I think he'll be consistently frustrating with his own "Good Baker, bad Baker" career in the NFL.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
I'll admit that I was PO'd that Pace (and I really like him) traded up for Biscuit and then especially what we gave up to move one slot. We just signed Glennon for $15 million per year for three years. What the heck did we do that for just to draft a guy at #2? Especially with the way the 2018 QB class was being talked about and its not like we weren't going to be right there to draft one of those guys anyway.

I really wanted Solomon Thomas, then Fournette or trading it away.

So far I'm glad Pace did what he did.
People say this all the time. 'I can't believe what Pace gave up top trade from #3 to #2. But if you look at the trade value chart, Pace got even money. It was a fair trade. Secondly, Glennon's deal was always a one year deal. It was $45M with $18M guaranteed. Glennon was never intended to start past 2017. Lastly, the theory is, if you know who you want to draft go and get him, and damn the consequences. Pace traded up to get HIS guy. The QB he thought could lead this franchise. So, in agreement with you, I am glad that Pace did what he did as well. I'm just tired of listening to meatballs talk about how Pace gave up too much to trade up one spot.