EDGE Prospect Talk: Tremaine Edmunds

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:Can anybody show me any sign on tape this guys an edge rusher?
Well he wasn't in college.

What you can see
- Athletic Ability
- Tall and Long
-Closing Speed/Burst
- Physical at the point

He is playing inside in college so your projecting. His physical attributes are easy to see. On those tackles for a loss you see amazing burst. On those delayed blitzes you see he can turn a gaurd shoulder with ease. You see him take on linemen in the ground game and stand them up. He has short area quickness You should be able to see how those abilities translate. The only thing is can he bend and his first step. One play where he is lined up wide against West Virginia you can see that he can. However generally he is not playing from the outside. He had all the traits to be really fucking good at almost any position.
Hematite
Player of the Month

McCblaz wrote:Can anybody show me any sign on tape this guys an edge rusher?
I hear what you are saying. If Q. Nelson, Edmunds and Ward/Jackson are all available at 8, Pace and Co. better be sure as hell they can unleash Edmunds potential as an edge rusher if he's the pick.
cblaz11
MVP

Couple guys I'd be open to at 8 who we KNOW can play the position we're drafting them for, McGlinchey or R Smith from Georgia.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm still skeptical of him as a pass rusher. But hey if it doesn't work out there, he can always be a Pro Bowl caliber ILB IMO.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:Couple guys I'd be open to at 8 who we KNOW can play the position we're drafting them for, McGlinchey or R Smith from Georgia.
McGlinchey isn't worth the #8 pick.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Brett Kollmann drops a casual "brian urlacher" in here:

[video][/video]
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Best quote in that video:

"Every LB coach in the league is watching the same tape I watched and thinking - Tremaine Edmunds has no fucking idea what he's doing out there and he's still the best player on the field."
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd take this kid at 8 and tell Vic Fangio to use him like Aldon Smith: hunt, hunt, hunt, hunt, hunt.

Over time, as the kid gets more comfortable in this defense, you can start to add more wrinkles.

When he hits his peak, I could see him playing inside in base and outside in sub packages.

malk
Head Coach

I can see the Urlacher comparison on paper but it was weird hearing "imagine Urlacher but 6'5, 250lb and faster than most safeties".

Um, so like Urlacher then!

Seems like a great fit for me. Fangio has experience as a linebacker coach, he's got a good vet to work with in Trevathan and a versatile scheme to find a place in. We've also had some decent play out of a raw, see ball get ball player in Jones so there's some experience in how we could use him in his rookie year whilst he's still developing.

I'd be very happy with him at 8.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Problem is that now people are talking about him in the top 7. So there's a good chance he doesn't make it to the Bears. Because Bears.

Right now, my top 10 players are:
Nelson
Barkley
Chubb
Darnold
Fitzpatrick
Allen
Edmunds
Vea
Ward
Davenport

So who knows.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Problem is that now people are talking about him in the top 7. So there's a good chance he doesn't make it to the Bears. Because Bears.

Nelson
Barkley
Chubb
Darnold
Fitzpatrick
Allen
Edmunds
Vea
Ward
Davenport

So who knows.
Where would he go in the top 7 though, wab?

1. Cleveland Browns - No
2. New York Giants - No
3. Indianapolis Colts - Doubt It
4. Cleveland Browns from Houston Texans - No
5. Denver Broncos - No
6. New York Jets - Doubt It
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Maybe?

If that's the case we could/should have Fitzpatrick, Nelson, or Chubb fall in our lap. Or a QB needy team could trade up with us if one of those big 3 happen to fall.

wab
Mod

I think he could go as high as 3. I think Denver is an option since Todd Davis is a pending FA. The Bucks could use him.

There's also the possibility that the Raiders move up above the Bears for him.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think he could go as high as 3. I think Denver is an option since Todd Davis is a pending FA. The Bucks could use him.

I think 3 might be rich, but yeah I didn't even think about teams jumping us. Bleh.

If we lose out on him I'd hope Fitzpatrick is there, otherwise I'd take a long look at Ward or Nelson I guess.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Do not want Fitzpatrick. S isn't enough of a need in my mind to spend a top 10 pick on it. Amos isn't anything special - but he's okay enough to go BPA-not-named-Minkah at 8
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Do not want Fitzpatrick. S isn't enough of a need in my mind to spend a top 10 pick on it. Amos isn't anything special - but he's okay enough to go BPA-not-named-Minkah at 8
I'd use him all over the place... boundary, slot, etc.

wab
Mod

I think teams will give Fitzpatrick every opportunity to play corner.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:I think he could go as high as 3. I think Denver is an option since Todd Davis is a pending FA. The Bucks could use him.

I think 3 might be rich, but yeah I didn't even think about teams jumping us. Bleh.
man, i like edmunds as an ilb prospect alot, but it's wild to think someone would actually trade away picks to take him.
wab
Mod

You think someone would've traded up for Urlacher? And that's even assuming he's only being looked at inside (almost every "expert" thinks he can rush the passer outside).
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Greg Gabriel interviews Edmunds - worth watching (only 3 min long): http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/edward-jones-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Die Easy
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Problem is that now people are talking about him in the top 7. So there's a good chance he doesn't make it to the Bears. Because Bears.

Nelson
Barkley
Chubb
Darnold
Fitzpatrick
Allen
Edmunds
Vea
Ward
Davenport

So who knows.
It's funny that you now want Nelson #1. When I suggested it weeks ago, you were like, 'no way are we taking a G at #8.'
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Nelson
Barkley
Chubb
Darnold
Fitzpatrick
Allen
Edmunds
Vea
Ward
Davenport

So who knows.
It's funny that you now want Nelson #1. When I suggested it weeks ago, you were like, 'no way are we taking a G at #8.'
Me? I mocked him to the Bears in my first draft.

If I said anything, I said just because the Bears hired his college position coach doesn’t mean they will take him, or that they have to take him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nelson is a luxury pick that we can't afford right now, IMO. I hope the kid goes before us at #8.

Tremaine Edmunds is my pick all the way; at minimum you have an elite talent at ILB (keyword: talent). I trust Fangio to treat him just like Aldon Smith during his 14 sack rookie season -- just sick him after the QB and occasionally sprinkle in him dropping into coverage. Kid's a freak.

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Nelson is a luxury pick that we can't afford right now, IMO. I hope the kid goes before us at #8.

Tremaine Edmunds is my pick all the way; at minimum you have an elite talent at ILB (keyword: talent). I trust Fangio to treat him just like Aldon Smith during his 14 sack rookie season -- just sick him after the QB and occasionally sprinkle in him dropping into coverage. Kid's a freak.
This right here.

And he is young enough that he has to be taught anyway. He comes from a football family and seems to be a good kid to boot.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Middleguard
MVP

I hadn't read before, or hadn't paid attention to, the fact that Edmunds' dad was two-time All-Pro and his brothers play football as well. That's a big box on Pace's checklist. I think he'll trade up a pick to get him after the Bucs tell him the 49ers already made them an offer.
IotaNet
MVP

Middleguard wrote:I hadn't read before, or hadn't paid attention to, the fact that Edmunds' dad was two-time All-Pro and his brothers play football as well. That's a big box on Pace's checklist ...
Yup. Pace is all about "character guys" and rightfully so. He's trying to establish a certain culture for the team going forward and to your point, this kid coming from a successful "football family" carries weight with Pace.

He was also a quarter-finalist for the Lott (as in Ronnie) IMPACT trophy. IMPACT is an acronym for: Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community, and Tenacity. He didn't win but he was nominated this past season.
(Link: http://www.hokiesports.com/football/rec ... 19aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I'm telling you, this kid checks all the boxes.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
cblaz11
MVP

G08 wrote:Nelson is a luxury pick that we can't afford right now, IMO. I hope the kid goes before us at #8.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still want him at 8!?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

After seeing the improvements he made from the start of the season to the final 4-5 games? Yep.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

This draft class feels so weird to me. I can't quite place it.
EricTighe
MVP

After watching that video why wouldn't anyone want him.

All in!