Marcus Davenport OMFG!!!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I have no problem taking Davenport. I think a trade down makes the most sense, if possible.
The only concern I have is someone like the Packers looming at 14 and jumping us.
You can tell I'm overdue for the draft to get here. It keeps rolling around in my head that we trade back with 'Zona at 15 and GB takes him right in front of us. I don't throw things on draft days any more, but I'd be thinking about it in that case.
Dude this draft has been so frustrating, we can go one million different ways and my brain is trying to figure out each option and then determine which provides the best bang for our buck. It was fun at first but now I'm just ready for this to be over :lol:
Watch Pace draft Ridley.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I have no problem taking Davenport. I think a trade down makes the most sense, if possible.
The only concern I have is someone like the Packers looming at 14 and jumping us.
You can tell I'm overdue for the draft to get here. It keeps rolling around in my head that we trade back with 'Zona at 15 and GB takes him right in front of us. I don't throw things on draft days any more, but I'd be thinking about it in that case.
Dude this draft has been so frustrating, we can go one million different ways and my brain is trying to figure out each option and then determine which provides the best bang for our buck. It was fun at first but now I'm just ready for this to be over :lol:
Watch Pace draft Ridley.
I was just going to say... it's going to fucking suck when Davenport is sitting there and we take someone else.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Realistically In my opinion Edmunds is still the better pick, but Davenport is a bigger need.
Adipost
MVP

I went and looked through some Aldon Smith footage when he was with Vic Fangio...

AS speed to power

VS

MD speed to power

- - -

AS double team

VS

MD double team

- - -

AS chase

VS

MD chase

- - -

AS shed

VS

MS chase

- - -

AS burst

VS

MS burst

- - -

AS disengage

VS

MD disengage

- - -

AS power

VS

MD power

- - -

AS pancake

VS

MD pancake

- - -

AS hands

VS

MD hands

- - -

AS motor

VS

MD motor

- - -

AS punch

VS

MD punch

- - -

AS inside move

VS

MS inside move

- - -

AS around the corner

VS

MS around the corner

- - -

The only difference being that I couldn’t find Aldon Smith bending much whereas I saw instances of Davenport dipping/bending around the corner...

MD dip/bend
G08
Hall of Famer

I saw that on reddit, awesome shit and it's exactly what I see in Davenport as well. It's going to suck when we don't take him.

G08
Hall of Famer

Albert Breer:

2. I believe UTSA defensive end Marcus Davenport will go somewhere between picks 10 and 16, and has the potential to make that look way too low. One college scouting director who’s been studying him for a couple years told me Davenport played at 240 pounds in 2016, and 265 pounds in ’17, while adding “he’s still coming” weight-wise. Some believe he has a higher ceiling than Bradley Chubb.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Albert Breer:

2. I believe UTSA defensive end Marcus Davenport will go somewhere between picks 10 and 16, and has the potential to make that look way too low. One college scouting director who’s been studying him for a couple years told me Davenport played at 240 pounds in 2016, and 265 pounds in ’17, while adding “he’s still coming” weight-wise. Some believe he has a higher ceiling than Bradley Chubb.
I've stopped reading scouting reports and analysis at this point. My brain just can't anymore.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:Albert Breer:

I've stopped reading scouting reports and analysis at this point. My brain just can't anymore.
I'm just digging and digging for any nuggets from scouts/directors/analysts that have connections.

This draft is going to be interesting for me. Does Pace truly value BPA, does he factor in 'need' as well? We've all got opinions on this roster and where we need to upgrade/add depth, does he feel the same?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:We've all got opinions on this roster and where we need to upgrade/add depth, does he feel the same?
Hard to say. Guys like us see the interior of the OL and pass rusher as a need. He could see Jordan Morgan and Eric Kush as perfectly capable options and that OL isn't a need. He could see Aaron Lynch as a solid addition who is paired with the DC that made him a budding star. He's spoken highly of Howard Jones in the past and what a good get from the Bucs he was. Again, teams trust their scouting. He may not be so quick to give up on guys.

There's a logjam at corner, but he could see that Callahan and LeBlanc are pending FA's...so maybe he takes Ward.

Maybe he's concerned about Goldman's health and contract situation and takes Vea.

What I do know is that the staff and the fans probably don't see the roster/needs/holes the same way.
G08
Hall of Famer

Not to get too off track but if you look at just his first 2 rounds, he drafts for 'need' after a starter has left:

2015 - Marshall gone, drafts White #7. Paea gone, drafts Goldman

2016 - McClellin gone, drafts Floyd at #9. Slauson gone, drafts Whitehair

2017 - Cutler gone, drafts Trubisky. Paulsen gone (this is a reach here), drafts Shaheen

2018 - Gone - (OLB) McPhee, Young, Houston; (OG) Josh Sitton; (DE) Mitch Unrein; (ILB) Christian Jones; (WR) Kendall Wright, Cameron Meredith, Marcus Wheaton

OLB - only Aaron Lynch was added
OG - nobody added
ILB - nobody added
WR was addressed with Robinson, Gabriel and (ostensibly) Kevin White

If you ask me, OLB has two red flashing lights next to it just above a loud, piercing alarm.

OG has options with Kush, Grasu (at center), and Morgan
ILB needs depth
WR needs depth

Unless Pace has some day 2 or 3 "sleeper" at OLB, OR is expecting Aaron Lynch to save us, I just don't see how our first or second round pick isn't a pass rusher.

Davenport
Landry
Turay
Sweat
Carter
Armstrong

I think one of those dudes is going to be a Chicago Bear in 2018.

wab
Mod

Don't count out DL. Unrein is gone, and Coward was moved to offense. Only Jenkins was brought back.

I'm not putting anything in stone, but I'd be shocked if the Bears didn't take a defensive linemen with one of their first two picks.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Don't count out DL. Unrein is gone, and Coward was moved to offense. Only Jenkins was brought back.

I'm not putting anything in stone, but I'd be shocked if the Bears didn't take a defensive linemen with one of their first two picks.
Bob Legere has an article today on PFW about Chicago's need for a DL and the possibility of drafting Vea at 8.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't quite see that happening only because I do think they want to give Bullard and RRH a chance to play meaningful snaps.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I don't quite see that happening only because I do think they want to give Bullard and RRH a chance to play meaningful snaps.
yup, i think a bunch of bears fans are going to be surprised when we dont take a defensive lineman until the third day, if at all. We have all three starters penciled in, we have 2 backups who know the system, we'll bring in udfa's, maybe another late free agent in the next phase of FA that happens after the draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
G08 wrote:I don't quite see that happening only because I do think they want to give Bullard and RRH a chance to play meaningful snaps.
yup, i think a bunch of bears fans are going to be surprised when we dont take a defensive lineman until the third day, if at all. We have all three starters penciled in, we have 2 backups who know the system, we'll bring in udfa's, maybe another late free agent in the next phase of FA that happens after the draft.
I feel the same way about Amos/Jackson as well as Kwiatkoski.

7 more days.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
While I could see them taking a DL in R1 or R2, it seems pretty evident that OG and OLB are our biggest needs. So my $$$ would be on those two in R1 and R2 and we don't have an R3. I think WR is nipping at the heels of DL as a need also. A lot depends on how the board falls.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

If we take Nelson at 8, I pretty much expect a trade down in round 2. I don't see pockets of talent there outside of iOL and potentially WR depending upon how early Moore/Ridley go.

G08
Hall of Famer

Davenport - 200 pass rushing opportunities last season, applied a pressure in 1 out of every 4 opps.

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Davenport - 200 pass rushing opportunities last season, applied a pressure in 1 out of every 4 opps.
That’s pretty crazy, 25% clip. I wonder what the average is.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Davenport - 200 pass rushing opportunities last season, applied a pressure in 1 out of every 4 opps.
That’s pretty crazy, 25% clip. I wonder what the average is.
No idea, I found the Senior Bowl practices on YouTube and was focusing on him when one of the announcers brought up that stat.

I'm smitten. This is bad.

EricTighe
MVP

i still don't see a guy worthy of a top 10 pick. If it goes down I hope I am wrong. Didn't have Floyd or White that high either. So guess it is possible Pace goes anti-me again. I do see a quality pro that is going to be better against then run then rushing the passer.
wab
Mod

You don't see that happening because you've been over analyzing edge rushers since December :)
G08
Hall of Famer

Fastest players in @NFLDraft by weight-adjusted:

1. @MarcusJD84, UTSA
2. @Zcarter_7, UGA
3. @saquon, PSU
4. Leon Jacobs, WIS
5. @Shaquemgriffin, UCF

G08
Hall of Famer

"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian
Is he referring to the QB’s?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian

Bill Polian lost his fastball a long long long long long time ago.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
BR0D1E86
MVP

If he was viewed as that good he’d be a top 4 or 5 pick this year, because I’m not sure any of the top quarterbacks would have gone before any of last year’s top 3 if they were all lumped together in one draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

Biggs:

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Biggs:

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com
G08
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth Greg Cosell said that knowing Fangio, if the pick came down to Davenport or Landry he would likely prefer Davenport. He said he loves the bigger, violent guys that can set the EDGE if he can get them.