R1, P8: Roquan Smith, LB - Georgia

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I'm glad we got somebody who can step in and play Day 1 and be an impact player. That was my hope going in, and sounds like he's all that and maybe more.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well Smith is a really good player. While I still think Pace had few cards he should have played (Trade Back/ select a different player), he didn't get a bad player.

I do wonder what the medical flag report was about.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Well Smith is a really good player. While I still think Pace had few cards he should have played (Trade Back/ select a different player), he didn't get a bad player.

I do wonder what the medical flag report was about.

Considering what Oakland got to move back (a 3rd and a 5th) - I just don't think there was any value in trading back.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Considering what Oakland got to move back (a 3rd and a 5th) - I just don't think there was any value in trading back.

Eh I still would have.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I like this pick and think he is going to step right into the starting lineup and help right out of the box

I wanted Quenton Nelson (fuck you Colts), but am happy the Bears got a defensive stud
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

Very happy with the pick. Would have been fine with Nelson, but I really felt like we needed to beef up our defensive front-seven given our lack of pass rush and injury issues at the linebacker position. Glad we addressed one of those in a huge way with the first pick - now I'm hoping someone like Landry will fall to us today (assuming his medical is okay).
sturf
Journeyman

The way I'm looking at this is that all of the linebackers, inside and outside, were still on the board. That means to me this was almost certainly Fangio's top rated linebacker. So I have to trust that.
IotaNet
MVP

Kid wasn’t my first choice but he’s being universally hailed as a great pick. And you gotta love that Bears picked the “Butkus Award” winner.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

sturf wrote:The way I'm looking at this is that all of the linebackers, inside and outside, were still on the board. That means to me this was almost certainly Fangio's top rated linebacker. So I have to trust that.
Bingo. I can find a lot of comfort in that. If Fangio thinks this kid can be his Patrick Willis it's a home run pick.

I wish he was bigger (YES WAB I KNOW HE'S THE SAME SIZE AS DANNY TREVATHAN :lol:) but it is what it is.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
sturf wrote:The way I'm looking at this is that all of the linebackers, inside and outside, were still on the board. That means to me this was almost certainly Fangio's top rated linebacker. So I have to trust that.
Bingo. I can find a lot of comfort in that. If Fangio thinks this kid can be his Patrick Willis it's a home run pick.

I wish he was bigger (YES WAB I KNOW HE'S THE SAME SIZE AS DANNY TREVATHAN :lol:) but it is what it is.
AT LEAST HE'S NOT A 6'3 LEFT TACKLE
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:Kid wasn’t my first choice but he’s being universally hailed as a great pick. And you gotta love that Bears picked the “Butkus Award” winner.

that is cool... and hopefully a very good omen :thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Gotta say... I just love the way the guy tackles. He grabs you, wraps up and if he can, he throws you down. You don't draw it up any better than that.

I never saw the guy get interviewed before. Talk about a clear headed, leadership guy. Wow. Travathan will show him the ropes to start off. And then that defense is his.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

AT LEAST HE'S NOT A 6'3 LEFT TACKLE
SIX THREE AND 7/8 OF AN INCH!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

He's like, the EXACT same size. Kinda weird.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

He's like, the EXACT same size. Kinda weird.
Same arm length, same hand size....it’s uncanny. Smith is faster though.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Gotta say... I just love the way the guy tackles. He grabs you, wraps up and if he can, he throws you down. You don't draw it up any better than that.

I never saw the guy get interviewed before. Talk about a clear headed, leadership guy. Wow. Travathan will show him the ropes to start off. And then that defense is his.
It was the one thing that I noticed right off the bat. His tackling technique is flawless. I never saw him hit a ball carrier without wrapping him up, and sliding down the legs.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Gotta say... I just love the way the guy tackles. He grabs you, wraps up and if he can, he throws you down. You don't draw it up any better than that.

It was the one thing that I noticed right off the bat. His tackling technique is flawless. I never saw him hit a ball carrier without wrapping him up, and sliding down the legs.

Smith's high school coach was on 670 and he was asked about the thing that Smith improved the most on since he first saw him as a freshman. His coach said that he was a skinny kid who wasn't afraid to tackle but didn't have the bulk to punish kids when he did tackle. He said that when he got to Georgia and he got into a S&C program there he put on 30+ pounds and realized that he had the size to 'get nasty' when tackling.

Makes me think that Smith had to have good technique as a high schooler if only because he was a smaller guy.

Coach said that in the championship game Smith had 16 carries for 274 yards and 4 TDs on offense, and 24 tackles including 7.5 TFL on defense.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Wow... the play in this tweet... that’s some closing speed.

https://twitter.com/sportsmockery/statu ... 48097?s=20
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The phone call from Matt Nagy to Roquan Smith.

Perhaps the most interesting thing in that clip is the Draftek pick value chart in full view on someone's PC screen in the war room. Who says they don't use that?

Umbali
MVP

I am geeked up about this pick. I Love his tackling and speed. But his tackling..wow
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:The phone call from Matt Nagy to Roquan Smith.

Perhaps the most interesting thing in that clip is the Draftek pick value chart in full view on someone's PC screen in the war room. Who says they don't use that?
It sure does look like that chart but there are differences.
UOK
Site Admin

[video][/video]
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:[video][/video]
I’m excited about this dude.
cblaz11
MVP

Ya, I agree. I feel like we have missing our identity on defense since the Urlacher, Briggs, Peanut years. This guy is going to be a major part in changing that..at least I hope. We need Floyd to truly put it together this year...
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote:Ya, I agree. I feel like we have missing our identity on defense since the Urlacher, Briggs, Peanut years. This guy is going to be a major part in changing that..at least I hope. We need Floyd to truly put it together this year...
This is sort of a make or break year for Floyd. He needs to have a big year or risk being replaced.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

With our OLB position not addressed in the draft so far, I think we can pretty well predict more zone blitz stuff thrown into our defense that has this guy occasionally heading straight for the QB at high speed.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice to get back to having a home grown stud LB. I haven't been this excited about a pick in awhile. I think he is going to tear it up. I am envisioning him on a zone blitz putting Rodgers on his ass. Love me some Chicago Bear LBs.
CrownMyAss
Rookie

As long as he gets a cool number like 50 or 58, or heck, have Urlacher bless the #54 for him.

Just don't want him getting an underwhelming number like 53 or 57, because I want to buy his jersey.