Your Overall Draft Impression?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What is your overall opinion of this draft? How does it affect your view of this Bears team heading into TC?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My view is... I really don't judge drafts until the players have a chance to play. So no opinion that way.

Overall, it's predictable that they stuck to needs--as teams generally do. The talk of us taking Ward or Fitzpatrick or James just had me scratching my head.

I'm shocked that pass rusher wasn't addressed until R6. Clearly, their medicals on Landry weren't good enough to take him in R2. I was hoping for that when he dropped. I guess we'll just have to see how that plays out. Passing on Armstrong and Sweat in R4 surprised me. Those seemed like obvious choices before a depth ILB. And then to pull the trigger on a medical red flag guy in R6 seemed like a shot in the dark. I imagine we'll be watching for a pass rusher on cutdown day. It's been posted that there's a bunch of potential R1 pass rushers in next year's draft. That's looking more and more like the plan.

I do find it interesting that we picked 2 ILBs in the first 4 rounds. I didn't have that position as such a high need spot. But apparently the team did. I thought we were OK with Kwiatkowski starting, but this draft screams loud and clear that Fangio doesn't think so. I missed the boat on that one. I heard somewhere (Pace presser I think?) that Kwit's switching to the ILB/OLB role that Christian Jones had with the team last year. Clearly, they've revealed something there.

In any case, I did get the OL in R2 guess right. That just made too much sense and the need was abundantly clear in my eyes.

Overall, they did give us a lot of reason to hope. I'm a bit excited with our first 3 picks. If we hit on those 3, this draft is a winner and we could have a good outcome there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Overall....pumped. Pace and co. nailed the first 3 picks. Pace has proven time and again that he and his staff have talent evaluating mid round picks so even though I didn't hear of a couple of them, I'm hoping history continues to repeat itself.
As for the upcoming season, I'm hesitant to become confident. I've been let down for far too long and although I am quietly confident this team will be much improved, you just never know. Time will tell.

P.S. Fitts better stay healthy and offer effective pass rush or Pace better get lucky and pick up a draft/cap casualty here shortly or I may start to worry more.
wab
Mod

I think it’s a pretty good draft. Kawasaki is probably going to play outside in base packages... it’s clearly going to be a Steelers style zone blitz defense.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:I think it’s a pretty good draft. Kawasaki is probably going to play outside in base packages... it’s clearly going to be a Steelers style zone blitz defense.

This. Kwiatkowski was a pretty good blitzer at WVU, and Smith was a fantastic blitzer at Georgia. We've got some pretty good athletes along the DL, good enough to occasionally drop back into a zone - so I expect to see pressure coming after the QB from all different areas of the field.

I think Pace/Nagy/Fangio looked out at the EDGE rushers available in FA and the draft and were incredibly underwhelmed. They'll generate their QB pressure using a variety of different players/pressures.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I was very pleased by nearly all parts of this draft. It has been a good 14-15 years since I have liked a Bears' draft this strongly.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

A. This is the most excited I've been post draft in a long time. We have a ten win team. Nobody is going to want to play us.

I want to say A+, but let's see how the Miller trade works out after those picks are taken next year and we see how he turns out.

Smith was the original guy I was hoping we'd get until I got butterflies and went to either Davenport and Vea. Daniels was a necessary pick that lacked the appeal, at least for me, of Landry, but we need the OL help. Miller and Wims have me excited.

I do wish we got a guard out of this. Otherwise I don't see a reason to not like this draft a lot.
IotaNet
MVP

To properly evaluate this draft, you have to do so in a broader context. This draft is not merely about the past few days ...

* You have to start with Pace drafting Trubisky ...
* Then you move to seeing Trubisky in action and seeing what we needed to surround him with ...
* That determined the kind of offense that he would thrive in ...
* That led to hiring the right coach (Nagy) that could install and teach that kind of offense ...
* Which led to finding the right kind of players that could execute that offense ...
* Which led to the decisions we made in free agency ...

... which led to the draft we just had. Taken by itself, this was a a very good draft.

But in the whole context of what Pace is trying to do, it was borderline genius!

I am more pumped to be a Bears fan that I have been in over 30 years. Yea, yeah, Lovie's Bears had a nice run but I always felt that team was was killer defense, a meh offense, and Devin Hester.

This is a team that is being built for the present and future, not as a "throwback." We are going to have killer defense AND a cutting edge offense. When have we ever been able to say that in any of our lifetimes? :o

We're not totally there yet -- we still need a deadly pass rush and we won't have that until after next years draft. Its also going to take some time for Biscuit and the rest of the squad to really learn and internalize Nagy's offense.

tl;dr We are well on our way back to being relevant in the NFL -- and that's great news!
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Adipost
MVP

The only scenario better for me would have been to trade down with Buffalo for a 2nd round pick, draft Davenport/Daniels/Miller, and still keep the 105 pick and the 2019 2nd rounder.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:To properly evaluate this draft, you have to do so in a broader context. This draft is not merely about the past few days ...

* Then you move to seeing Trubisky in action and seeing what we needed to surround him with ...
* That led to hiring the right coach (Nagy) that could install and teach that kind of offense ...
* Which led to finding the right kind of players that could execute that offense ...

... which led to the draft we just had. Taken by itself, this was a a very good draft.

But in the whole context of what Pace is trying to do, it was borderline genius!

I am more pumped to be a Bears fan that I have been in over 30 years. Yea, yeah, Lovie's Bears had a nice run but I always felt that team was was killer defense, a meh offense, and Devin Hester.

This is a team that is being built for the present and future, not as a "throwback." We are going to have killer defense AND a cutting edge offense. When have we ever been able to say that in any of our lifetimes? :o

We're not totally there yet -- we still need a deadly pass rush and we won't have that until after next years draft. Its also going to take some time for Biscuit and the rest of the squad to really learn and internalize Nagy's offense.

tl;dr We are well on our way back to being relevant in the NFL -- and that's great news!
Well said.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like to say that a draft should produce at least 2 competent starters and a competent part-time player (contributor). I'm optimistic that Pace did that. He didn't try to get too cute and outsmart anyone. He drafted players at positions of need that we have all identified. The addition of another receiver really says to me that everyone is taking 2018 seriously. This isn't just another rebuilding year - this is a year they expect to win some games. Next year they can make decisions on Amos and White, and plan to add an EDGE guy early in the draft.

We have a bit of money and I'm wondering now if Pace will add a veteran EDGE guy even if it means overpaying a bit. Otherwise Fangio will try to compensate with blitzing and our speedy new LBs will pick up a few sacks to compensate for Acho being less than what we want at his spot
xyt in the discord chats
IotaNet
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:... I'm wondering now if Pace will add a veteran EDGE guy ...
Who's available?

I know they picked up Lynch but is there anyone you can think of that might be available?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Nanky
Journeyman

Houston
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Every year fans are super optimistic about their teams prospects. I am more pessimistic then most. I think the draft was good but A+ ratings are far from realistic in my opinion. The Bears drafted a bunch of smaller guys with injury concerns. They got good talent but A+ hall of fame class of 2035 isn't accurate.

If you consider 3 starters per draft to be good. The bears at best have 2 starters, 1 slot WR who is close to a starter and 2 rotation special teams guys.

Grade B

Smith is a very good player. He has elite instincts, above a average athleticism, a bit light in the pants. Yes LBs can be light in some cases. Smith though is a naturally thinner build and average height. If healthy he has pro bowl ability. That's not arguable, so it's a good pick. I preferred Edmunds, due to ceiling, size, athleticism, versitility, but Smith is good. He had great burst, understanding of coverage. Injury concern Tony Pauline reports Smith had some medical concerns.

Daniels is athletically as good as a center gets, but not a strength specimen. He holds the point better then some give him credit for. He physically is small compared to most. He gets to the second level well, and is very aware in the scrum. He fits the system. He is not a guard. You or 6'3" Leno and 6'3" Daniels and you can't run that way. I preferred Connor Williams, but center Daniels is an above average starter ceiling. Injury concern Daniels self reported teams checking outhis knees.

Miller was a guy whom to me seemed very average. I have watched more of him sense. I can't put my finger on who he reminds me of, but the style seems so familiar. Almost like a short striding Davante Adams. He is athletic and can start and stopquickly. He can run really clean breaks and shows good hands. People ding him on routes but they only ran like 3 in Memphis so I think they over analyze some things. He does have drops but Terry seem like focus drops not hands, as I like how he will catch away from his body. Only 5'11"and slender. He has work to become good but has tools. I preferred James Washington. Injury concern Miller has a foot fracture that is healing.

IYIEGBUNIWE (had to copy and paste) I don't know another 230lb ILB. I am sure I watched him, but I don't km now much. He has an average athletic score on my big board. Armstrong was my choice.

Nichols actually scored as above average in my athletic score. He is built very similar to Bullard , who we think i's miscast, and his combine numbers mirror closely. He can penetrate but needs to refine his hand usage. He is a project and depth. He beat up on less talented players and could be a good rotational piece in a few years. Mcintosh was my choice.

Kylie Fitts has been discussed. Could be the stall of the draft, or could never step for inn Soldier field. Clear injury concern. ESB was available.

Wind probably will never play. Holten Hill was here.
Umbali
MVP

I was surprised we kept passing on edge rusher but I would think that Fangio must have some input and an idea of what he wants, so I will take a wait and see approach on that.

Overall Im geeked for the season to start but dont expect us to win 10 this year but evolve into it next year assuming we can stay healthy.

We have a lot of health question marks and I would love to see us on the right side of that for a change.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd say overall I'm happy. I wanted an edge rusher badly but the board didn't seem to break for us that way early. It's being reported that Buffalo called us about #8 but we told them we had a guy targeted there and weren't for sale.

Roquan Smith and James Daniels are first round values and while Smith wasn't a need he certainly upgrades the position as well as the overall athleticism of our defense. Anthony Miller was a solid get because (I'm assuming here) Pace/Nagy wanted him badly enough to use next years 2nd round pick to acquire him. I like him a lot in the slot and with an accurate QB like MT10 a WR like this who can get separation with his quickness and route running savvy is gold.

After that it seems like Pace went after athletic traits with the hope of development. I think Fitts could be a player if he manages to stay healthy, I like his burst/bend and I think as he continues to develop his spin move and counters to his dip/rip he could be a 4-6 sack guy in a rotation.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

OL, Interior lineman was first one my list.
MLB was second.
WR was third.

So they hit on my top 3 so that is that.

Like many others, this is the first time I haven't questioned (in my mind) WTF are they thinking on draft day. Everything makes sense in the first 2 rounds. After that, I will give them a pass on the other guys until we see what happens with 4-7. But in past drafts, questionable guys have proven to contribute who were reaches soooo....

I am VERY happy with this draft as a whole. Though I don't feel like any of the guys are "sexy" picks... They were the picks that will help anchor the team in the future (or that's the hope). They hopefully just drafted the QB of the defense and the OL for the next 10 years. They also drafted a WR who hopefully can grow with a 2nd yr Franchise QB. In the past two drafts, they just drafted (potentially) the top 3 leadership positions. Smith and Trubisky seem lights out in that department, and have talent to boot. Only time will tell on any players, But just have the same feeling that I did when they drafted Trubisky.... The team is headed in the right direction.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I have a positive impression of the draft right now. Health will factor a lot into that but it's a difficult thing to predict, if even possible.

I like pretty much all the picks and think they fit what they are trying to do.

I don't the buy the entire "the line is to light argument". Some of the worst run and pass blocking lines in the league are the heaviest and some of the best are the lightest and vice versa with some of the lightest are the worst at both and some of the heaviest are the best.

It's about good players and good coaching, not if this guy is 2" shorter and 15 lbs lighter. Can he block and do what needs to be done in the offense.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:To properly evaluate this draft, you have to do so in a broader context. This draft is not merely about the past few days ...

well said ... and like any draft, first impressions when they happen may not mean much other than as a (usally temporary) happy fit

IotaNet wrote:I am more pumped to be a Bears fan that I have been in over 30 years. Yea, yeah, Lovie's Bears had a nice run but I always felt that team was was killer defense, a meh offense, and Devin Hester.
Lovie's Bears were opportunities lost ... if had not been so insecure he was threatened by having a competent offensive mind acting with him, his teams would have won at least 1 Super Bowl

IotaNet wrote:This is a team that is being built for the present and future, not as a "throwback." We are going to have killer defense AND a cutting edge offense. When have we ever been able to say that in any of our lifetimes? :o

it has been a nice learning experience to watch this current team being built ... we as fans may not always agree on how those things are being done, but it is clear the team does in fact have a plan and they are executing it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Middleguard
MVP

Iyiegbuniwe is my favorite pick of this draft. Anybody want to argue that he wasn't a straight up BPA pick? Fourth-rounders aren't throw-aways. So to me this means that the Bears are not only out of rebuild, but they're dipping their toes into stockpile.

Or if you want to argue that he fulfilled a need on special teams, then I'm equally excited. When was the last time the Bears felt confident enough in their offense and defense to go as high as round 4 for STs?
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I'd say overall I'm happy. I wanted an edge rusher badly but the board didn't seem to break for us that way early. It's being reported that Buffalo called us about #8 but we told them we had a guy targeted there and weren't for sale.
God damnit Pace!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

malk wrote:
G08 wrote:I'd say overall I'm happy. I wanted an edge rusher badly but the board didn't seem to break for us that way early. It's being reported that Buffalo called us about #8 but we told them we had a guy targeted there and weren't for sale.
God damnit Pace!
I admire his conviction. It also reinforces my ongoing point that the fans care more about the amount of picks the team has than the actual team does. Part of me appreciates that the Bears care more about getting their guy than stockpiling picks.
G08
Hall of Famer

I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.
Couldn't agree more. If Biscuit and Smith turn into "face-of-the-franchise studs," nobody will remember (or even care) what Pace gave up to get them -- he will just be remembered as the GM who got things in order around here.

"L'audace l'audace toujours l'audace"

- Colin Powell
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote:I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.
Couldn't agree more. If Biscuit and Smith turn into "face-of-the-franchise studs," nobody will remember (or even care) what Pace gave up to get them -- he will just be remembered as the GM who got things in order around here.
Well, malk will. :taunt:

I can see his point, to be fair, but if you're worried about losing out on your guy you absolutely don't make that trade.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

Solid B+ from me:

Roquan Smith, God-willing, should be the next great Chicago Bears MLB and be here for the next 10+ years.

James Daniels is a young, technically sound iOL who can arguably play 3 positions on our line. As he gets stronger I think he'll be a top 10-15 player at his position.

Anthony Miller is having his name thrown around with the likes of Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, and Odell Beckham Jr. That's insane to me, but if he could be even 1/2 of what those dudes did in this league I think the pick will be a home-run. Yes, it sucks that we needed to burn a 2019 pick to get him, but don't for one second think we didn't get the better end of the value here. Ostensibly, we gave the Patriots a 4th round pick for the right to use our 2nd round pick one year early. I'm good with that, especially considering what many think Miller's ceiling can be in this league.

The rest of the draft was looking for athletic traits and banking on upside. I'm of the opinion Iyiegbuniwe will be a 4-phase special teamer this season while he learns the nuances of the defense. Don't be surprised if he takes Trevathan's job in 2019 or 2020. I don't think Bilal Nichols is anything special unless you are looking at his athletic profile -- this dude can move for a man north of 305 lbs. I think he'll be in the rotation at 5T and might even steal some snaps at 3T when we are in nickel. Kylie Fitts might be my favorite pick on day 3; I mentioned earlier in this thread that he's a bigger/stronger Harold Landry that unfortunately has been engulfed by the injury bug. Good new for him is that I see him on the lower end of the rotation and a wonderful hedge to Aaron Lynch. Watch his snaps and practice reps at the Senior Bowl, he can beat you with speed and can run the arc as well as any prospect in this draft. The difference is that he has power, knows how to use his length, and has a chip on his shoulder. The round 7 WR pick, Javon Wims, doesn't do too much for me. He looks like "just-a-guy" running routes but I do like his ability to high-point 50/50 balls and his concentration and hands on the sidelines. I think he's WR6 or most likely practice squad.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm with you most of the way, G08 (though I'm considerably higher on Nichols than you are). I liked Day 3 pretty well up until Round 7 — I have less confidence in Wims producing anything than I have in Kevin White — but it's all lottery tickets by then anyway.
KFFL refugee.