College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
Z Bear wrote:Dam, cancelling my Bennie Fowler jersey order.
Well, at least wait till after training camp.... White might fracture his leg stretching in warmups....
How come?

Oh, I guess he’s been hurt. I didn’t realize that. Thanks for bringing it up.
Eye roll..... don't be a douche, your better than that.
Don’t make lazy posts. Your better than that.
Real sorry for the "lazy" post. Come on dude, really? I was making a weak joke and was replying to someone else. Not you. Instead of worrying about other people's conversations why don't you just enjoy a nice looking draft.
wab
Mod

The “White breaks everything” trope is tired. And takes away from a nice looking draft.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:The “White breaks everything” trope is tired. And takes away from a nice looking draft.
Whatever man, I'm not here to have lame fights on the boards. Get over yourself. Done with this....
wab
Mod

Cool
cblaz11
MVP

Miller reminds me so much of Jarvis Landry..with better deep play ability.
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote:Miller reminds me so much of Jarvis Landry..with better deep play ability.
Right? It’s like all the good parts of ODB and Landry in one guy.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

So do we think Miller starts right away over White and Gabriel?

That would be pretty awesome to get 3 day 1 starters before we get to R4. (Apologies to our traded 2019 R2 pick.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
cblaz11
MVP

I think we have competition and depth now. Does he start right away, not sure, but he definitely contributes right away. I think we see a lot of sets with Robinson, Gabriel, and Miller on the field together.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This tells me that, all of the work that White is putting in, is going to go for nothing. It's possible that Nagy, or Pace have looked at his techniques/speed/quickness and decided that, even if he DOES stay healthy, he's not going to be a long term answer at the position. They are clearly cutting bait with him after this year.

That’s fucking ridiculous. They know they can’t count on him at all. If he does break out great - but this has everything to do with his injury history and nothing to do with the work he’s putting in.
This
Yeah I'm going to third this. Nagy looked at every WR in this draft (Pace's words) and then we made this move to get this kid. They wanted him, badly, and they would rather trade next year's second to get him in the offense with Mitch now than wait a year.

You see his hand size? Jesus fucking Christ.

Back to the road, enjoy the night dudes!
NFL Network reported that the Bears were trying to trade up for Calvin Ridley. They obviously wanted a WR badly in this draft.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:So do we think Miller starts right away over White and Gabriel?

That would be pretty awesome to get 3 day 1 starters before we get to R4. (Apologies to our traded 2019 R2 pick.)
I think from a depth chart standpoint it’s Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:So do we think Miller starts right away over White and Gabriel?

I think from a depth chart standpoint it’s Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White.
Which will get tested often. If Nagy runs his offense the way HE wants to. There will be several 3 and 4 WR sets.
SC Bear
Journeyman

IMO this is a special player. So far three outstanding picks in what I believe will be remembered as a great draft. My guess is that Gabriel, Grasu will be gone next year netting $10.0 in cap. If White's injury trend continues that is another 5.0, although I hope that he makes it this year and in the future
Last edited by SC Bear on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docc
Head Coach

I like this draft.. Pace and the coaches seem to have a direction Bears never did before..

Excited to see how this develops..
GSH
MVP

any chance this miller can wear #86 at the WR position? might save a few hombres some pesetos
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I love this pick but don't like that we gave up a fourth this year and a second next year to get it done. I really liked that we had two fourths because I was hoping we'd address OL there. Even after the Daniels pick I was hoping for an OL in the fourth.

There's also no guarantees that this means anything about White although I think for him it's just a matter of how big of a bust he'll be. Not retaining Meredith forced our hand into needing to draft a WR.

Everybody likes to do the whole this player reminds me of that guy thing, but I see Miller and I think Steve Smith. I'm not saying he'll be as good, although he could be you never know, but that's what his game remind me of.

With GB drafting two CBs with their first two picks, is their plan to start those guys week 1? If so, have fun with that against AR15, Gabriel and Miller. I'm guessing Nagy can scheme that shit all day long.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:I love this pick but don't like that we gave up a fourth this year and a second next year to get it done.
The Bears didn't give up a fourth and a second for this pick. The Bears gave up a fourth round pick to get an advance on next year's second round pick.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:I love this pick but don't like that we gave up a fourth this year and a second next year to get it done.
The Bears didn't give up a fourth and a second for this pick. The Bears gave up a fourth round pick to get an advance on next year's second round pick.
Bingo.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

RING4CHI wrote:
Yeah, that's the way I see it. If it's a guy they really like why not? If your really looking to surround your young QB with talent is not a bad plan. Why wait?
Pagan
MVP

RING4CHI wrote:
Even better= Next year's 2nd round pick has a 3rd round value This draft.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I find the trade interesting... If we suck and it's a top 10 #2, that's a bad deal because we'll obviously NEED that top 40 pick to get better. If we're a playoff team, good deal for us and we'll be able to live without it. It's like Ryan Pace is betting on ourselves here. And Anthony Miller MUST be a part of it.

Pace once again proves that right or wrong, he doesn't lack for cajones.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

beardownunder
Rookie

Mikefive wrote:I find the trade interesting... If we suck and it's a top 10 #2, that's a bad deal because we'll obviously NEED that top 40 pick to get better. If we're a playoff team, good deal for us and we'll be able to live without it. It's like Ryan Pace is betting on ourselves here. And Anthony Miller MUST be a part of it.

Pace once again proves that right or wrong, he doesn't lack for cajones.
Part of it is the gamble that we won't be a top 10 pick. But there's also the Trubisky factor. He has to be good as soon as possible to keep the confidence growing in the organisation and more than that his own confidence. They've already invested so much in Mitch but another 4th rounder to make sure he has everything he needs, sure why not?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
Z Bear wrote:Dam, cancelling my Bennie Fowler jersey order.
Well, at least wait till after training camp.... White might fracture his leg stretching in warmups....
How come?

Oh, I guess he’s been hurt. I didn’t realize that. Thanks for bringing it up.
Eye roll..... don't be a douche, your better than that.
Don’t make lazy posts. Your better than that.
Clearly neither of you are better than that.

#you're

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yup, longterm i love the move. Taylor Gabriel is a 4 year deal, but we can get out with minimal cap hit after two.
AR12 is a 3 year deal but the same, we can cut him after two with minimal cap hit. There's a very real chance that this is White's last year with the Bear's.

Having a young ascending talent in the pipeline means we have way more options down the line, and dont have a gun to our head to draft WR high or sign a pricey free agent.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:Yup, longterm i love the move. Taylor Gabriel is a 4 year deal, but we can get out with minimal cap hit after two.
AR12 is a 3 year deal but the same, we can cut him after two with minimal cap hit. There's a very real chance that this is White's last year with the Bear's.

Having a young ascending talent in the pipeline means we have way more options down the line, and dont have a gun to our head to draft WR high or sign a pricey free agent.
Or not get in a situation where 2 people get injured and all of a sudden you have 3 UDFA WR's starting.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Adipost
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:Miller reminds me so much of Jarvis Landry..with better deep play ability.
I watched the UCF, UCLA, and Iowa state games. It’s scary how similar he looks to Landry. The quick cuts out of his routes, the huge hands, the catch radius and body positioning to catch inaccurate passes, the sideline screen passes turned fearlessly into the middle of the field, the always falling forward for extra yards as he’s being tackled, the massive chip on his shoulder, the fire he shows on the field that wears down the defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This pick admittedly makes me dislike the Gabriel signing a bit.
They're different dudes... as of right now it looks like Robinson is our X, Gabriel our Z/Ze, and Miller our slot/Ze.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:This pick admittedly makes me dislike the Gabriel signing a bit.
They're different dudes... as of right now it looks like Robinson is our X, Gabriel our Z/Ze, and Miller our slot/Ze.
In fairness, I've disliked the Gabriel signing since it happened because he doesn't do anything Cohen can't. Drafting Miller just sealed it for me.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The only thing I didn't like about the Gabriel signing was the cost. $7M/year is excessive for any uncertain starter. But otherwise, I sure don't see anything wrong with having 2 guys who can outrun the defense. I know there's only one football, but that sure gives opposing safeties a lot to think about and will create a lot of space underneath. That's a very good thing.

G08
Hall of Famer

I think Nagy wanted to find his "Tyreek Hill" player for this offense and he saw it in Gabriel.

When you have this bad of an offense and whiffs on players like Kevin White, you're going to pay for it on the back-end in FA. I don't love what we paid him but it is what it is.