Theoretical draft question

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

Prefeace: I am drinking lol

So my thought is this: when we gave up our 2nd rounder pick for next year to get a player that Pace believed was worth a 2nd rounder...what is to keep a team from paying that draft pick forward for multiple years? So next year we dont have that pick but we see someone we want and we trade the 2020 pick. rinse repeat etc...until suddenly someone does that same to us and suddenly we have it back?

Does this make sense or have I drank to much?

One of the reasons I thought this was , during the few minutes when N.O traded up and all the talking heads swore they were taking Lamaar Jackson, i was telling everyone in the room....nope!! they are taking Davenport OR someone who can help them NOW! They have were a good team and want to win now while they have Brees. People drafting know they have to produce now, and can mortgage the future that someone else might have to pay for. I wonder if that is what Pace is doing?

Thoughts?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Umbali wrote:Prefeace: I am drinking lol

So my thought is this: when we gave up our 2nd rounder pick for next year to get a player that Pace believed was worth a 2nd rounder...what is to keep a team from paying that draft pick forward for multiple years? So next year we dont have that pick but we see someone we want and we trade the 2020 pick. rinse repeat etc...until suddenly someone does that same to us and suddenly we have it back?

Does this make sense or have I drank to much?

One of the reasons I thought this was , during the few minutes when N.O traded up and all the talking heads swore they were taking Lamaar Jackson, i was telling everyone in the room....nope!! they are taking Davenport OR someone who can help them NOW! They have were a good team and want to win now while they have Brees. People drafting know they have to produce now, and can mortgage the future that someone else might have to pay for. I wonder if that is what Pace is doing?

Thoughts?
I actually was thinking the same exact thing about the 2nd rnd pick.
Adipost
MVP

It’s like the Fed printing money, just keep doing it until it all comes crashing down. For now, future draft picks are infinite.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pace ripped New England off, typically a future pick is worth one round less. Meaning: if you trade a 2019 2nd round pick, it is viewed as a 3rd round pick. I don't think we will be so fortunate next off-season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:Pace ripped New England off, typically a future pick is worth one round less. Meaning: if you trade a 2019 2nd round pick, it is viewed as a 3rd round pick. I don't think we will be so fortunate next off-season.
We also gave up a 4th this year to make up the difference.

I think the kid looks like a valuable contributor in this offense, and it’s an apparent sign that they think they’re ready to compete for a playoff spot right now. So I have no problem with it ftr.
G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
G08 wrote:Pace ripped New England off, typically a future pick is worth one round less. Meaning: if you trade a 2019 2nd round pick, it is viewed as a 3rd round pick. I don't think we will be so fortunate next off-season.
We also gave up a 4th this year to make up the difference.

I think the kid looks like a valuable contributor in this offense, and it’s an apparent sign that they think they’re ready to compete for a playoff spot right now. So I have no problem with it ftr.
That doesn't make up the difference, though.

Look at the Saints in the 2017 draft, they gave up a 2018 2nd rounder and 7th rounder in order to acquire a 2017 3rd rounder. We got a hell of a deal.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

Unfortunately, the trade chart values are completely wrong.
Nanky
Journeyman

You could trade up each year, but you'd almost have to trade back in the other rounds to acquire additional picks to trade. Otherwise you'd be losing multiple picks every year to gain an additional 2nd rounder each year.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Unfortunately, the trade chart values are completely wrong.
I think they're good for a ballpark estimate, but if you're talking about 'future picks' then yeah everything gets thrown out the window.

Z Bear
MVP

Picks 1, 2, and 3 of the draft should be for drafting immediate contributors (not necessarily starters).

Picks 4 - 7 of the draft should be used for moving around in rounds 1-3 and taking projects.

If you hit a on starter in rounds 4-7 you get lucky, if you miss on players on the first 3 rounds you have shitty drafts. I was not a big fan of the Shaheen pick last year however we made it up wit the Eddie Jackson pick in the 4th. In hindsight if you look back on the draft and say we picked Jackson in the 2nd and Shaheen in the 4th no one would complain.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Look at it this way... When you trade up, in a twisted way, it could be viewed in the context of making a loan. You get the pick you want (or the $$$), but you have to pay the interest, which in this case is the additional pick given up. If you make the trade up every year, it's like giving up that 3rd or 4th round pick every year. So it's like going from 7 draft picks to 6 in every draft.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.