Vegas Golden Knights Make NHL History with Playoff Sweep

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Vegas Golden Knights Make NHL History with Playoff Sweep vs. Kings
The Vegas Golden Knights became the first NHL expansion franchise to sweep a playoff series in its debut season following a 1-0 victory to eliminate the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night at the Staples Center.

Arash Markazi of ESPN.com provided comments from Golden Knights goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who recorded 31 saves for his second shutout of the series.

"You guys remind us or tell us about those records, but it's not something that we talk about or shoot for," Fleury said. "All season long, I didn't know any records about expansion teams. We just do what a regular team would. We just play the game and try to win. That's it."

The Golden Knights' immediate success was a shock. The Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook listed the expansion team at 200-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup in August, double the next-highest teams, in its 2017-18 opening lines, per ESPN.com.

OddsShark notes Vegas is now the favorite to win the championship (+470) after it breezed past the Kings, who've won the Cup twice in the past seven years.

Dynamic center Jonathan Marchessault said the fact that the team was overlooked helped add motivation for its inaugural campaign and makes the moment special, per Markazi:

"It feels great. All of us, we came in with a chip on our shoulder, and we're just looking at the next game ahead of us. When we play right away, I think we can go far, but we cannot look too far right now. We've got to look at the next game and be able to cash in the rest that we're going to have here and be ready when the second round starts."

The Golden Knights advanced to face either the San Jose Sharks or Anaheim Ducks in the Western Conference semifinals.
whoever did their expansion draft really put together a very good bunch ... players who are complimentary to each other ... a fun bunch to watch
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Fluery was standing on his head the whole series. I am rooting for them until they have to meet up with the Jets. Got a thing for the Jets. Love me some Buff and Laine. The Jets have a good young nucleus that will be fun to watch. These playoffs have been wearing me out, keeping me up late.

I hate the fucking Preds and hillybilly fans.

I would like to see Toronto and their young crew turn it around as well. I think Boston has too much for them this year.

Someone put Crosby out, bastard.

Glad to see the Ducks and Kings eliminated.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Preds v Jets series should be a barn burner. I will be rooting hard for the Jets.

Bruins v Leafs in game 7 tonight. I am gonna miss it and it pisses me off. I w ould love to see a leaf upset.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The Preds v Jets series should be a barn burner. I will be rooting hard for the Jets.
Game 7 tonight ... winner gets to play Vegas

Otis Day wrote:Bruins v Leafs in game 7 tonight. I am gonna miss it and it pisses me off. I w ould love to see a leaf upset.
the Lightning beating the Bruins any consolation to you?
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:The Preds v Jets series should be a barn burner. I will be rooting hard for the Jets.
Game 7 tonight ... winner gets to play Vegas

Otis Day wrote:Bruins v Leafs in game 7 tonight. I am gonna miss it and it pisses me off. I w ould love to see a leaf upset.
the Lightning beating the Bruins any consolation to you?
Somewhat. Kind of would like to see an all Canada Stanley Cup. Poor country has not won a cup since about '93. Liked watch Marchand lose, he is such a d bag.

Hoping for Lightning v Jets in the Cup. SSSSOOOOO, that probably won't happen. Jets blew their chance Monday night to get to Vegas. Hopefully the play a little better tonight. I will miss some of it but hope I can catch the 3rd period.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Smashville :rofl: They lost 3 of 4 at home, so maybe the name is appropriate. Their hopes and dreams smashed at home :headbang: Their fans make me sick.
UOK
Site Admin

It'd be fucking nuts if the Knights and Caps met in the finals and the Caps, finally having gotten the monkey off their back, lose to the expansion team in year 1.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

VGK is a helluva story. The NHL set them up pretty well compared to other expansion teams. The front office did a helluva job putting that team together. They are impressive. Not sure why I dislike the Caps, probably Ovechkin. Would not bother me to any matchup on the Cup but I am rooting for a Jets v Lightning matchup now. There has been some awesome games this playoff season. Kind of nice to not be a nervous wreck watching the Hawks, I am enjoying this more.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It'd be fucking nuts if the Knights and Caps met in the finals and the Caps, finally having gotten the monkey off their back, lose to the expansion team in year 1.

I don't really have anything against the Capitals but I would be ok with this scenario
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Vegas is looking awfully damn good. Fluery playing out of his ass and the Vegas D in general is killing. Here's hoping the Jets can win 3 in a row. That is doubtful. LVGK against the Lightining.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Vegas is looking awfully damn good. Fluery playing out of his ass and the Vegas D in general is killing. Here's hoping the Jets can win 3 in a row. That is doubtful. LVGK against the Lightining.

Knights to the Stanley Cup Final

that was a good series between them and Winnipeg

Caps vs Lightning Game 7 on Wednesday for the right to lose to Vegas :D
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Vegas looking awfully strong. Here is to hoping the Bolts make it. I don't think either Eastern team beats Vegas though.