Update: Orange jerseys debut, uniform rules change

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears to unveil orange jerseys on June 15
The wait is nearly over for Chicago Bears fans who have been clamoring for the organization to go back to their orange jerseys this season. Earlier this year the team hinted at the return to the orange look by simply putting an all-orange photo as their avatar on social media. On Monday the team announced on Friday, June 15 the team will be unveiling the orange look for this upcoming season.

At the NFL Owner's Meetings in Orlando earlier this year, team chairman George McCaskey announced the team was going back to that look this year. Chicago's alternate jersey the last few seasons have been their Monsters of the Midway throwbacks.

Chicago originally wore an orange jersey with navy pants beginning in the 1930s. Previous to that season it had worn navy jerseys with vertical orange stripes. In 1932 the team began putting numbers on the front of the jersey and transition to an orange jersey with navy numbers trimmed in white with black stripes on the arm. The team wore the jersey sporadically throughout that decade and, according to ChicagoBears.com, "the jersey was 'so loud' that stories are told about crowds in New York booing the jersey."

The Bears brought back those 1930s jerseys for a Thanksgiving game against the Dallas Cowboys in 2003 before debuting a new orange jersey that looked like their traditional home navy jerseys and away white jerseys. The team wore those orange jerseys a handful of times throughout the mid-2000s before the NFL made the switch from Reebox to Nike. In 2012 the Bears got rid of the orange jerseys, making way for their Monsters of the Midway throwback jerseys that debuted that fall.

I hated the previous versions of the orange jerseys so I hope whatever latest and greatest version they're coming up with doesn't suck.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

What's to unveil? They already said they'd be the same uniform they wore for a number of years, just slightly modified to fit the new cut of the Nike jerseys.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:What's to unveil? They already said they'd be the same uniform they wore for a number of years, just slightly modified to fit the new cut of the Nike jerseys.

George says they're gonna be special, so ....

maybe the team got a deal on some Bucs creamsicle orange jerseys recently found in a warehouse?
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Hate it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I never liked the orange jersey's anyways. I prefer the 1940's alternates they've been wearing for the past 7-8 seasons. So for me, it'll be a "meh" unveiling.
Never Die Easy
BR0D1E86
MVP

Horrible.
Richie
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:I never liked the orange jersey's anyways. I prefer the 1940's alternates they've been wearing for the past 7-8 seasons. So for me, it'll be a "meh" unveiling.
Same. The 40's throwbacks are classy as hell. Which suits what our organization (ideally) represents perfectly.

I can only get on my knees and pray that these aren't some outrageous multi-colored/tacky Nike scheme. I hate that they've semi-brought that crap into the NFL.
wab
Mod

Eh, i don't hate the orange.
Z Bear
MVP

I kind of like these oranges ones... think it would look better with navy pants.

Richie
MVP

wab wrote:Eh, i don't hate the orange.
Yeah, I should have been more clear. I don't hate the orange either -- they have a place. I just prefer our throwbacks.

I'm fine with going back to them for a season or two. I just hope we don't try to do something ridiculous with them.

Anyone remember these things from Thanksgiving 2004? Bears tried to say they were our 1933 throwbacks, I think. Really ridiculous. This game also sucked. I remember our D was just coming into form under Lovie and the NFC was terrible. We were in the thick of the WC race at 4-6 (lol) and Krenzel got hurt. Mighty Jon Quinn led us to 0 offensive points. Jerry Azumah had a pick six and that was it.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Anyone remember these things from Thanksgiving 2004? Bears tried to say they were our 1933 throwbacks, I think. Really ridiculous. This game also sucked. I remember our D was just coming into form under Lovie and the NFC was terrible. We were in the thick of the WC race at 4-6 (lol) and Krenzel got hurt. Mighty Jon Quinn led us to 0 offensive points. Jerry Azumah had a pick six and that was it.

that's pretty close to the 1930's version ... maybe the orange is too bright though and the white outline could have been thinner

the game they were worn in being terrible kind of tainted my view on it as well

Bears unis through the years :

the orange one in the pic is dated 1935, but was probably the same one in 1933 and is definitely different than the 2005 version
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:Anyone remember these things from Thanksgiving 2004? Bears tried to say they were our 1933 throwbacks, I think. Really ridiculous. This game also sucked. I remember our D was just coming into form under Lovie and the NFC was terrible. We were in the thick of the WC race at 4-6 (lol) and Krenzel got hurt. Mighty Jon Quinn led us to 0 offensive points. Jerry Azumah had a pick six and that was it.

that's pretty close to the 1930's version ... maybe the orange is too bright though and the white outline could have been thinner

the game they were worn in being terrible kind of tainted my view on it as well

Bears unis through the years :

the orange one in the pic is dated 1935, but was probably the same one in 1933 and is definitely different than the 2005 version
Yeah, you're right. That is accurate.

I suppose that I'm just surprised a 1930's NFL team donned orange uniforms. Compared to most throwbacks, that's a bit colorful.

Also, I was wrong. The pick six was McQuarters - not Azumah. Regardless, yeah... that game stunk and Quinn was a total embarrassment.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Z Bear wrote:I kind of like these oranges ones... think it would look better with navy pants.

Yeah navy pants for sure
Richie
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
Z Bear wrote:I kind of like these oranges ones... think it would look better with navy pants.

Yeah navy pants for sure
I think that's one of those things that sounds good in theory, but then is way too much in real life. I don't know... Worth a shot, maybe.
BR0D1E86
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:

Yeah navy pants for sure
Yep. Navy pants and no orange shirt and that would look pretty sharp.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Richie wrote:
Yeah, I should have been more clear. I don't hate the orange either -- they have a place. I just prefer our throwbacks.

I'm fine with going back to them for a season or two. I just hope we don't try to do something ridiculous with them.

Anyone remember these things from Thanksgiving 2004? Bears tried to say they were our 1933 throwbacks, I think. Really ridiculous. This game also sucked. I remember our D was just coming into form under Lovie and the NFC was terrible. We were in the thick of the WC race at 4-6 (lol) and Krenzel got hurt. Mighty Jon Quinn led us to 0 offensive points. Jerry Azumah had a pick six and that was it.

I was in Dallas attending that game back in 2004. Embarrassing was the best way I could describe it. From the uniforms to Jonathan Quinn to the entire futility of the organization at that point.
Never Die Easy
Richie
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:
Richie wrote:

I was in Dallas attending that game back in 2004. Embarrassing was the best way I could describe it. From the uniforms to Jonathan Quinn to the entire futility of the organization at that point.
Yeah, 2004 was (thankfully) the end of a very dark 10 year period or so. Our offense was, undoubtedly a complete embarrassment. Truly, I've never seen a more dysfunctional NFL offense in my life than when Quinn was out there leading the Bears. At least with Henry Burris, you could tell he was more just completely raw than anything. With Quinn, it was just watching a complete imposter of an NFL football player. Probably the worst NFL QB I have ever and will ever see.

The D was actually getting there, but the 04 offense made the 05 and 06 offenses look like juggernauts. I remember those 3 consecutive Krenzel wins -- with the one being at Tennessee where we failed to notch an offensive point and won on an overtime safety. Hutchinson provided perhaps our shining moment that season in actually playing well in his Bears debut start and beating a solid Vikings team.

The Houston game (at that point the coldest in Soldier Field history) was another flat out embarrassment. Ended our dim little playoff hopes.
Pagan
MVP

Richie wrote:

The D was actually getting there, but the 04 offense made the 05 and 06 offenses look like juggernauts. I remember those 3 consecutive Krenzel wins -- with the one being at Tennessee where we failed to notch an offensive point and won on an overtime safety. Hutchinson provided perhaps our shining moment that season in actually playing well in his Bears debut start and beating a solid Vikings team.

The Houston game (at that point the coldest in Soldier Field history) was another flat out embarrassment. Ended our dim little playoff hopes.
I was actually at that cold game against Huston.

My brother called me up, last min & said that some "guy" said it was too cold & gave him 2 tickets.
I had a T-shirt & a hood on & just enough time to get there if I didn't get pulled over.

It was like - 14 or something w/ the wind chill= & it WAS pretty chilly.
There was a family FROM Texas sitting in front of us, dressed on some sort of Eskimo outfits, with just their "Kenny" faces showing.

I asked my brother (loud enough for the Texans fans to hear) if he heard that it was supposed to be cold today.

It was cold enough to freeze a hot chocolate before you finished it.
& unfortunately the Texans players weren't so affected.
UOK
Site Admin

skamanfrank
Journeyman

Not hideous.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

looks better than the 2004 version they tried but not much different from the last one they used ... all they did was move the number from the sleeve to the top of the shoulder

so why did they make a big deal out of this "special unveiling"?
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... ke-jerseys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So a clarification: The 40s throwbacks are STILL around. They fall under the new uniform categorization of "classics." The orange jersey is an "alternate."

The Bears will wear the 40s 'classics' this season in a game that hasn't been announced.

The orange is back for Week 6 at Miami and Week 11 vs. Minnesota.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

I never liked the orange uniforms... Rather have the throwbacks they've been wearing those look cool. Orange just doesn't look intimidating looks more like they should be at a rave or soccer match.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Z Bear
MVP

UOK wrote:https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... ke-jerseys

The orange is back for Week 6 at Miami and Week 11 vs. Minnesota.

Yea... I get to see the oranges in person.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Boris13c wrote:looks better than the 2004 version they tried but not much different from the last one they used ... all they did was move the number from the sleeve to the top of the shoulder

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Some will buy these specifically because they were hyped up.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:
Boris13c wrote:looks better than the 2004 version they tried but not much different from the last one they used ... all they did was move the number from the sleeve to the top of the shoulder

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Some will buy these specifically because they were hyped up.

ah ... of course ... that should have dawned on me earlier
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Never cared for the Orange.. I like Navy Jersey..White pants and the reverse..and All white or all Navy.. Orange will be fine with me..IF WE WIN those games..:)
Used to seem All white road..Navy home..depending on the home team choice..