R2, P51: Anthony Miller, WR - Memphis

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:Miller reminds me so much of Jarvis Landry..with better deep play ability.
I watched the UCF, UCLA, and Iowa state games. It’s scary how similar he looks to Landry. The quick cuts out of his routes, the huge hands, the catch radius and body positioning to catch inaccurate passes, the sideline screen passes turned fearlessly into the middle of the field, the always falling forward for extra yards as he’s being tackled, the massive chip on his shoulder, the fire he shows on the field that wears down the defense.
I'm starting to dig into each of these prospects today and I'm going to say that these drops are starting to piss me off.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:Miller reminds me so much of Jarvis Landry..with better deep play ability.
I watched the UCF, UCLA, and Iowa state games. It’s scary how similar he looks to Landry. The quick cuts out of his routes, the huge hands, the catch radius and body positioning to catch inaccurate passes, the sideline screen passes turned fearlessly into the middle of the field, the always falling forward for extra yards as he’s being tackled, the massive chip on his shoulder, the fire he shows on the field that wears down the defense.
I'm starting to dig into each of these prospects today and I'm going to say that these drops are starting to piss me off.

And they're all on routine catches. Definitely has some focus issues they'll need to work on. Not sure how you coach that out of a guy - but he has way too good of hands to make those kinds of drops.

Despite the drops - I think this kid is going to kill it in thei KC/Philly/Oregon offense. His run-after-catch is fun to watch.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

And they're all on routine catches. Definitely has some focus issues they'll need to work on. Not sure how you coach that out of a guy - but he has way too good of hands to make those kinds of drops.

Despite the drops - I think this kid is going to kill it in thei KC/Philly/Oregon offense. His run-after-catch is fun to watch.
For sure, he's got this ability which I haven't seen too much of where once he catches the ball he has this instantaneous burst to get him up the field, it's a blast to watch.

G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

This is how you run a fucking slant

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Apparently 21 drops in the past 2 seasons.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
I'm curious about his number of targets

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.

Adipost
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
So a 10% drop rate. I’m not sure how bad that is or if it’s even bad. :wheelchair:
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
So a 10% drop rate. I’m not sure how bad that is or if it’s even bad. :wheelchair:

Peshek over at Rotoworld did an evaluation a few years back and found that 6-7% is the average drop% for college WRs.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

PFF has him at 95 out of 134 in drop rate. (my quick counting maybe off a few numbers). Bottom quarter of those drafted. It's not a hands problem, from what I have seen it's concentration.
Adipost
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:PFF has him at 95 out of 134 in drop rate. (my quick counting maybe off a few numbers). Bottom quarter of those drafted. It's not a hands problem, from what I have seen it's concentration.
The worry with me comes in the fact that Allen Robinson had the same concentration drop problem in 2016.
G08
Hall of Famer

An analyst opined that it was because Miller often times was too worried about YAC before he even secured the catch. Still... maddening to see.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Until he starts dropping them with the bears, he will get the benefit of the doubt with me.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
Nope, we need to know the targets or better catchable balls. If his catch % is 60% then he had 318 targets and a drop % (to raw targets) of 6.6%. Still higher than you'd like but not as bad.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
Nope, we need to know the targets or better catchable balls. If his catch % is 60% then he had 318 targets and a drop % (to raw targets) of 6.6%. Still higher than you'd like but not as bad.
191 catches + 21 drops = 212 catchable passes
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:

On 191 catches.
You'll have to cite where you found these 21 drops brofessor

Sugashane
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
I found it here - likely a PFF total.

https://catcrave.com/2018/04/09/carolin ... ny-miller/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/4/19/17 ... s-seahawks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not a brofessor, but I am Dr Sexy, M.D.

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:

On 191 catches.
Fair, though if I wanted to quibble, and I always do, we haven't specified whether it is drop rate per target or catchable pass. The latter would make more sense but drops/catchable passes is incredibly subjective. I'd bet that quite a few receptions come off non "catchable" passes too!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:Anthony Miller

VS

Jarvis Landry

Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77 at the combine. Miller, with a foot injury, ran a 4.5 (4.46-4.52) at his pro day.

I mean, I hope Anthony Miller can become as productive as Landry - and while physically they do seem like clones - Miller does have that one additional element (speed) that Landry lacks.

Sugashane
Player of the Month

Adipost wrote:Anthony Miller

VS

Jarvis Landry

I'll take Miller. Even if they would be identical, Landry is averaging like $15 mil, I'll take the rookie with a low cap hit for the empty stats please.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm seeing Landry and OBJ comps being thrown around on these here interwebs... I think the brakes should be pumped, albeit slightly.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I am watching more and more video of this kid, and I can't figure out why in the HOLY HELL he wasn't taken in the first round, or at the very least early second. He is a fantastic route runner, with amazing hands and body control. WOW!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I am watching more and more video of this kid, and I can't figure out why in the HOLY HELL he wasn't taken in the first round, or at the very least early second. He is a fantastic route runner, with amazing hands and body control. WOW!
He's the Baker Mayfield of this WR class. Sure, he's productive and dominating and all. But he's only 5'11"!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hot damn did you guys read this? This kid quickly might become my favorite Bear (behind the QB, because G08).

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I am watching more and more video of this kid, and I can't figure out why in the HOLY HELL he wasn't taken in the first round, or at the very least early second. He is a fantastic route runner, with amazing hands and body control. WOW!
He's the Baker Mayfield of this WR class. Sure, he's productive and dominating and all. But he's only 5'11"!
So are Antonio Brown and Jarvis Landry. They seem to do alright.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Hot damn did you guys read this? This kid quickly might become my favorite Bear (behind the QB, because G08).
Full speed. Everything is full speed.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Some numbers on the % of targets caught for some of the top receivers (sorry for the source)...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/05/antho ... lete-myth/
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

EricTighe
MVP

A flippin BEAST. Enough said.

Screw the slot let this kid start already. Let Taylor Gabriel play the slot.

Bye the way is it just me or did the Bears kill this draft with Nagy here? Pace has always said he takes the head coaches suggestions very serious. I know supposedly Fox knew nothing of the Trubisky love.