NFL HoF will mail T.O. his jacket - T.O. to CFL?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hall of Fame won't mention Terrell Owens at induction but will mail him his gold jacket
Terrell Owens, one of the best wide receivers in NFL history, announced recently that he will not attend the 2018 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Instead, Owens will give his induction speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga.

"After giving it much thought I have realized just how much I want to celebrate what will inevitably be the best weekend of my life at a place that means so much to me," Owens wrote in a message posted to Twitter.

"I'm proud to be a Moc, and I'm honored to share this experience with my family, friends, teammates and fans at the place that provided me an opportunity beyond high school and where I truly began to find myself as an athlete. Thank you to everyone who has supported my celebration decision. I look forward to seeing you all in Chattanooga. Getcha popcorn ready!"

The Hall of Fame is matching Owens by excluding him entirely from the induction proceedings, the Hall's executive director told Clark Judge of the Talk of Fame Network.

Owens will not be introduced for Friday night's Gold Jacket ceremony, nor will he be announced the following night at Canton's annual induction ceremony, said the Hall's executive director, Joe Horrigan.

"The focus," Horrigan said, "is on the guys who are here."

And that excludes Owens.

Instead, the Hall of Fame will simply mail Owens his gold jacket first thing Saturday -- the morning after the rest of the Class of 2018 receives their jackets. Owens will still appear on materials featuring the entire Hall of Fame class, but "There's no reason to bring him up as an individual," Horrigan said. "He's not here."

EDIT - to change thread title to reflect updated story
Last edited by Boris13c on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Haha, what a petty pissing contest.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don't think it's petty at all. It's a huge honor to be inducted into the NFL HOF. Why take away from those who are there to make the event about a person who doesn't want to be there?

TO has always been about TO. No one else has to be...that is the point TO has never understood and why he has always acted like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way.

Someone was apologetic for TO saying that his decision not to attend is justified because he was snubbed for a few years and some/many of the voters criticized his character. So what. TO would prove them wrong by simply showing up, being thankful for being included in the most prestigious honor in pro football. Instead he's skipping and proving his critics correct, by exemplifying the selfishness that he's portrayed his whole career.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

Ya, this is exactly why TO was begging for a job the last couple years of his career and for me, a big reason he shouldn't have been a hall of famer. Part of being the best, is being a great teammate.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

I'm glad they are not going to say his name. If they did, that would only draw more attention to him.

Sob...snifff...snifff... "That's my quarterback."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Terrell Owens aims to return to football with CFL team
Terrell Owens doesn't want any part of ceremonies in Canton, Ohio, but he wants in north of the border.

The 44-year-old former All-Pro, who is less than a month from being enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, wants to add an extra chapter to his playing career in a league that plays with an extra man. Owens has activated a clause that will force the Edmonton Eskimos, the Canadian Football League team that owns his rights, to either offer him a contract or release him from their control within 10 days, according to TSN.

"Absolutely 100 percent," Owens' agent Jason Staroszik told TSN's Dave Naylor when asked about Owens' interest in playing in the CFL. "He still feels like he has some football years left in him. He just loves the game and wants to get back to playing whether it's the CFL or NFL."

Owens hasn't played a down of professional football since he suited up for the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League in 2011. He played his last NFL snap as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2010 season, in which he caught 72 passes for 983 yards and nine touchdowns.

He signed a one-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks in 2012, but was released in less than a month's time.
George Carlin
Sugashane
Player of the Month

cblaz11 wrote:Ya, this is exactly why TO was begging for a job the last couple years of his career and for me, a big reason he shouldn't have been a hall of famer. Part of being the best, is being a great teammate.
If he shouldn't the Moss shouldn't. Moss just mailed it in during his time in OAK, which is the absolute worst thing to do as a teammate. Owens went balls to the wall every game at least. Both were headcases, but whether a person is selfish privately or publicly there is no real difference IMO. He helped win and busted his ass, he didn't get to live off of Brady to pad his stats, and he was far more effective at 37 than Moss was at 33.

You hear about how a lot of these guys are assholes, in the NFL and other sports. Who cares? Football is a game about winning, not about popularity. Lewis was an accessory to murder FFS. Never hear anyone bash him for that or say he shouldn't be in the Hall. Bryant was straight up hated by a number of his teammates, he even sad he didn't care if they liked him. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be a first ballot HOFer. Owens is probably the 2nd best WR all time, and got held out because a number of writers were little bitches. He has the right to do what he wants, just as the writers had the right to blackball him for 2 years.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote:You hear about how a lot of these guys are assholes, in the NFL and other sports. Who cares? Football is a game about winning, not about popularity. Lewis was an accessory to murder FFS. Never hear anyone bash him for that or say he shouldn't be in the Hall.
there were many many threads on Ray Lewis and his knife wielding limo riding days ... just seems no one felt interested in rehashing those, which is fine

if you go by his on field efforts, he deserves the HoF ... if you include his arrest and off field idiocy which led to it, then that certainly does bring the character issue into play ... which no one seems to care about any more
George Carlin
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Maybe TO could catch passes from Johnny Football upon signing with the CFL.... if he plays defensive back.