Official: Bears sign Roquan Smith

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
TheSting wrote:Compare and contrast that to Anthony Miller. Which guy was DRAFTED to be a captain of this team? Now, which guy is ACTING like he's a captain of this team?
I don't think that's fair. If Anthony Miller is a dumbass who signed whatever they put in front of him and ran off to practice, ignoring his agent's advice and screwing himself in the process, is that acting like a team captain? I'm not saying that's what Miller did because I don't know. But you don't know that it isn't what he did. And that's my point. We really don't have enough detailed information to know what the whole deal is here. And this is one of those things where what they're arguing about doesn't matter now. It can only matter later. So we all have a tendancy to think short term, when the issue at hand is a long term one.
Good post.

If Smith didn't have a finalized contract and tore his ACL in camp, would anyone expect the Bears to act in good faith to sign him to the same contract he would've had had he not torn the ACL? Doubt it.

Plus this is likely the biggest contract Roquan will ever sign. For many rookies there isn't a 2nd big contract, so while to some here who put this team spirit/chemistry/passion for the craft as the end-all/be-all, realistically this is what Smith has worked his entire life to get.

I don't blame him for holding out or for going for money. It sucks he's missing time, but this is too important on a personal level. If his agency is representing him poorly, that's between the Bears, Roquan, and CAA to work on a dialogue to expedite this process. If both sides are stubborn and entrenched, nobody makes any money, and ultimately Roquan's value goes down. This will get done.
If this is the biggest contract Roquan ever signs then he will be labeled a bust.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
TheSting wrote:Compare and contrast that to Anthony Miller. Which guy was DRAFTED to be a captain of this team? Now, which guy is ACTING like he's a captain of this team?
I don't think that's fair. If Anthony Miller is a dumbass who signed whatever they put in front of him and ran off to practice, ignoring his agent's advice and screwing himself in the process, is that acting like a team captain? I'm not saying that's what Miller did because I don't know. But you don't know that it isn't what he did. And that's my point. We really don't have enough detailed information to know what the whole deal is here. And this is one of those things where what they're arguing about doesn't matter now. It can only matter later. So we all have a tendancy to think short term, when the issue at hand is a long term one.
Good post.

If Smith didn't have a finalized contract and tore his ACL in camp, would anyone expect the Bears to act in good faith to sign him to the same contract he would've had had he not torn the ACL? Doubt it.

Plus this is likely the biggest contract Roquan will ever sign. For many rookies there isn't a 2nd big contract, so while to some here who put this team spirit/chemistry/passion for the craft as the end-all/be-all, realistically this is what Smith has worked his entire life to get.

I don't blame him for holding out or for going for money. It sucks he's missing time, but this is too important on a personal level. If his agency is representing him poorly, that's between the Bears, Roquan, and CAA to work on a dialogue to expedite this process. If both sides are stubborn and entrenched, nobody makes any money, and ultimately Roquan's value goes down. This will get done.
If this is the biggest contract Roquan ever signs then he will be labeled a bust.
This guy gets it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

makaur
Pro Bowler

If he’s there for Game 1 and sacks Rodgers so hard that Danica Patrick sh*ts herself...I won’t care one bit about this holdout.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

makaur wrote:If he’s there for Game 1 and sacks Rodgers so hard that Danica Patrick sh*ts herself...I won’t care one bit about this holdout.
Sure, but with his current behaviour, he won't be physically and technically able to do it.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
G08
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote:If he’s there for Game 1 and sacks Rodgers so hard that Danica Patrick sh*ts herself...I won’t care one bit about this holdout.
.... I think Danica Patrick's hot

Nanky
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
.... I think Danica Patrick's hot
Could you speak up please . . .
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

:thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Umbali
MVP

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:I just don't care I guess. At best this holdout is footnote in a long illustrious career, at worst he misses a couple games and meatball fans turn against him for a month or so.
WAB is my guy.

I definitely don't feel like this situation at all merits anger yet, but if you're set on being angry about it, I guess that's the prerogative.

This is where I am. I am concerned but if he comes in and lights it up for years...who cares. The Mack scenario obviously is tantalizing but clearly it wouldnt be a straight up trade. Its not realistic. I think we are ok because he will eventually sign.

That being said....we are The Bears...if it can go sideways...it just might lmao
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:
....and clearly a player that doesn't seem to give a shit about missing time.
Slowquan.
G08
Hall of Famer

BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:
G08 wrote:
....and clearly a player that doesn't seem to give a shit about missing time.
Slowquan.
Laying on the low-quan.

docc
Head Coach

..uh..so far..
No Quan..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm frustrated as hell that a player that we drafted that high who wasn't even in my top 2 of who I wanted (Davenport, Vea) is causing all this negative energy around a franchise with the highest level of enthusiasm in a decade or more.

He was drafted to be a leader. He's not in my opinion. This isn't like some veteran player with an established history who wants to get paid. This guy hasn't played a down yet.

This wasn't an urgent need. Pass rusher was. Vea in my mind would've given us an elite d-line that opens up pass rush possibilities.

We have a linebacking corps that is good enough to get the job done. And if an elite pass rusher like Mack is potentially out there we should take that very seriously.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have not read that there is any negative energy around this team. Seems like camp has been moving along quite well and no one is really focusing on this outside of the fans.
UOK
Site Admin

@Bernstein_McK

"The Bears are very dug in. They believe the precedent (on-field, non-football related fines) is unacceptable." -Dan Bernstein on the Roquan Smith situation, adding there has been zero contact between the two parties
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@Bernstein_McK

"The Bears are very dug in. They believe the precedent (on-field, non-football related fines) is unacceptable." -Dan Bernstein on the Roquan Smith situation, adding there has been zero contact between the two parties

that is a very strange quote

so the Bears find the current system of fines unacceptable?

maybe Bernstein was drinking when he posted that
George Carlin
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

@Bernstein_McK: "The Bears are very dug in. They believe the precedent (on-field, non-football related fines) is unacceptable." -Dan Bernstein on the Roquan Smith situation, adding there has been zero contact between the two parties

G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Image
Nick Kwiatkoski, I'm so glad I learned how to spell your name.

I hope he kicks ass and takes names.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:@Bernstein_McK: "The Bears are very dug in. They believe the precedent (on-field, non-football related fines) is unacceptable." -Dan Bernstein on the Roquan Smith situation, adding there has been zero contact between the two parties

second time I've seen that quote and it still puzzles me

it reads as if the Bears find the current system of fines unacceptable ... is that addressing the new fines as unacceptable? the fines before the new fines? both?

I'm unclear on what that actually means and how it applies to Smith's situation

as to Smith - I have read conflicting reports on what the Bears have or have not agreed to include or remove from his contract clauses

if they have removed the language regarding the new helmet hitting rule, then I don't see what the holdup is ... if they haven't, then I understand what the holdup is
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:@Bernstein_McK: "The Bears are very dug in. They believe the precedent (on-field, non-football related fines) is unacceptable." -Dan Bernstein on the Roquan Smith situation, adding there has been zero contact between the two parties

second time I've seen that quote and it still puzzles me

it reads as if the Bears find the current system of fines unacceptable ... is that addressing the new fines as unacceptable? the fines before the new fines? both?

I'm unclear on what that actually means and how it applies to Smith's situation

as to Smith - I have read conflicting reports on what the Bears have or have not agreed to include or remove from his contract clauses

if they have removed the language regarding the new helmet hitting rule, then I don't see what the holdup is ... if they haven't, then I understand what the holdup is
Roquan and his agents think he shouldn't be penalized for fines he accrues for non-football related occurrences.

The Bears think that is fucking ridiculous.

(The Bears are right)

UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are Smith’s requests for such broad protections unusual or unreasonable?

That depends on whom you ask. No one disputes that guaranteed money should be subject to forfeiture if a player commits a crime (i.e. domestic abuse) or violates the league’s drug policies. But opinions differ when it comes to on-field, in-game discipline.

Seven other teams have executed contracts that include clauses protecting a first-round draft pick’s guaranteed money if he is suspended for an illegal hit. Only four of 32 teams have executed contracts with the broader behavioral protections that Smith seeks, one source said.

Smith has nothing in his background to suggest he’ll be ever be suspended for any misconduct. So why are his agents insisting upon these provisions for him specifically? And why would the Bears dig in to protect themselves against such an improbable scenario?

This is where the impasse goes beyond Roquan Smith and involves precedent for future contracts.

Smith’s agents aren’t just fighting to protect every dime Smith can earn. They’re also fighting for their future business. They want to be able to hold up Smith’s contract in recruiting meetings and show draft prospects how they scrap and claw for their clients. They want to negotiate with other teams and say that because the Bears agreed to these protections, they’re the new standard.

Meanwhile, the Bears aren’t worried that Smith will be a behavior problem on or off the field. To them, this is about the principle of having leeway to assess punitive damages for a rules violation outside the parameters of a football play. They’d rather not sacrifice that authority. For any player.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ah ... that makes things much more clear

thanks UOK

however, I also have a question I don't seem to find being addressed elsewhere

the current CBA expires in 2020 ... so until then, the players and owners are supposed to abide by the terms agreed upon in the current CBA

so why do the owners now get to change rules regarding how player infractions are addressed in 2018? shouldn't the owners also have to wait until the current CBA expires? I think they should, but that is not how it is ... the owners get to do what they want with a simple majority vote ... which seems unfair to me and creates a very uneven negotiation playing field ... so it doesn't surprise me players aren't thrilled

in this case though I think Smith's agent may be over playing his hand ... he seems to want to make this some larger issue than simply taking care of his client
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What I find interesting is that this whole battle starts because of one word... GUARANTEED. I believe this is the word from the mutually agreed upon rookie salary cap calculation agreement, established some years ago. It doesn't say just salary, bonus or payment. It uses that particular descriptor. And by making certain payments "guaranteed", that means you get them no matter what. (If not, why didn't they say "conditionally guaranteed"?)

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that NFL teams are trying to skirt around something they've already agreed to in collective bargaining. Now in the court of public opinion, it's easy to argue that promises to pay can and should be rightly withheld if the player behaves badly. But from a legal standpoint, saying certain payments are "guaranteed" and then later saying they're guaranteed, unless..., then morally right or wrong, that boils down to a player and his agent conceding ground they've already bargained (conceding other things) to gain.

Am I reading this wrong?

Also, I'm very glad that the first of the 3 previously linked articles had one writer rightly place blame on the NFL, which I find to be vastly ignored in this discussion. By making rule changes vague enough to have players, agents and teams entirely unclear about how enforcement will play out, you motivate agents to protect their clients from costly outcomes which aren't always avoidable. I'm frankly surprised there haven't been more holdouts like this one.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Z Bear
MVP

If the Bears exempted suspensions from the helmet rule, as has been reported even though not listed in the article above, CAA needs to go pound sand. Roquan needs to step up and tell them enough is enough and get in camp. 4 other teams were stupid enough to put language in, it does not mean the Bears need to as well. Get in the boat with the 7 other teams until people see how this new rule plays out.
Adipost
MVP

Read this on another board and found it thought provoking...
I have this sense that Roquan isn't worried about a ref bump or fight. I think he wants to be the first Bear to kneel for the anthem and he wants to protect his money if he were to do so. He has seen CK get cold shouldered and if he were to suck ass and then want to turn himself into a spectacle, he wants to have financial protections. Kneeling for the anthem in Soldier Field would be big news and by the way he has conducted himself as a college recruit and an unsigned rookie reeks of someone wanting to make a "bigger picture" gesture.

Whether you would love it or hate it matters not, that is would my sixth sense says this is about. He just isn't saying what non football action he wants to be protected from losing money as a result of doing.

My reasoning is that as a gifted athlete he is supremely confident in his skills and has little fear the Bears would strip money away from him as has never been done before as a result of a football fight. That fear would be a completely illogical reason to hold out this long and he knows it.
However, there is no barometer of how Ginny or George would react to a knelling Bear or what clause they may use to punish him to dissuade him from that action. That is what I think he wants his freedom to do.

I know that comes out there from left field, but holding out for the "fighting" issue is like picketing city hall for the right to jaywalk without fear of prosecution, sure technically it could happen, but is the non-issue worth the effort. I think he has other, possibly more divisive actions he wants protection to perform. I doubt he even knows what those may be, but I think, as he has proven, he likes to be on the leading edge of change and that may mean he wants to act in a provocative way in a Bears uniform.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:Read this on another board and found it thought provoking...
I have this sense that Roquan isn't worried about a ref bump or fight. I think he wants to be the first Bear to kneel for the anthem and he wants to protect his money if he were to do so. He has seen CK get cold shouldered and if he were to suck ass and then want to turn himself into a spectacle, he wants to have financial protections. Kneeling for the anthem in Soldier Field would be big news and by the way he has conducted himself as a college recruit and an unsigned rookie reeks of someone wanting to make a "bigger picture" gesture.

Whether you would love it or hate it matters not, that is would my sixth sense says this is about. He just isn't saying what non football action he wants to be protected from losing money as a result of doing.

My reasoning is that as a gifted athlete he is supremely confident in his skills and has little fear the Bears would strip money away from him as has never been done before as a result of a football fight. That fear would be a completely illogical reason to hold out this long and he knows it.
However, there is no barometer of how Ginny or George would react to a knelling Bear or what clause they may use to punish him to dissuade him from that action. That is what I think he wants his freedom to do.

I know that comes out there from left field, but holding out for the "fighting" issue is like picketing city hall for the right to jaywalk without fear of prosecution, sure technically it could happen, but is the non-issue worth the effort. I think he has other, possibly more divisive actions he wants protection to perform. I doubt he even knows what those may be, but I think, as he has proven, he likes to be on the leading edge of change and that may mean he wants to act in a provocative way in a Bears uniform.
Thought crossed my mind but I don't believe George McCaskey would fine a player for kneeling during the anthem. I also don't believe the NFL has a strict mandate (currently, anyway) that states a fine would occur for doing so.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:@Bernstein_McK

that is a very strange quote

so the Bears find the current system of fines unacceptable?

maybe Bernstein was drinking when he posted that
The precedent for giving in regarding the off field discipline stuff would be unacceptable. Pretty sure that’s how that should read.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

"on field, non-football related fines." On field, key two words. This is not about behavior OFF the football field. "On Field." Like the quote above states, maybe kneeling during the anthem, maybe getting kicked out of a game for a retaliatory punch, criticizing refs..........
docc
Head Coach

..ass raping an official..dropping Trousers and mooning the Pope ?
skamanfrank
Journeyman

**Hypothetical question and not what I think is going to happen**
What happens if he just doesn't sign? Does he have to go back into the draft? Does he become a free agent and anyone can pick him up? Do the bears get any compensation if he never signs?