Cubs 2018 Reg. Season General Discussion

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Opening Day is here, folks. Talk Cubs.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Happ takes the first pitch of the 2018 season deep.

I've missed you, baseball.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schwarber's defense still blows, but that bat still has POWAH
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Fourth-grader skips school for Cubs game, runs into principal
Move over, Ferris Bueller, there’s a new kid Cubs king in town.

Tucker Steckman, a fourth-grader from Illinois, took a page straight out of the 1986 classic film “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” on Tuesday when he skipped classes at Wells Elementary School in East Moline to catch the Cubs’ home opener with his father, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

“Skipping school … shh!” read a sign held by Tucker outside Wrigley Field. “Don’t tell Principal Versluis.”

The cheeky photo — complete with Tucker’s “censored” face — caught the eyes of Major League Baseball, which tweeted the pic to more than 8.3 million followers.

“Ferris Bueller?” one reply read. “Is that you?”

But unlike the John Hughes flick, in which Bueller deftly avoided his principal all around Chicago, Tucker actually ran into his while at the game.

“I saw him and I was kind of ducking down,” Versluis told the newspaper. “I didn’t want him to see me either. I’m here with my son, Aiden, who’s in fifth grade, and I called out sick for the day!”

Versluis, 43, shrugged off both students’ absences, telling the newspaper it was “all good.”
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Anthony Rizzo OK with taking pay cut for fewer games: 'We play too much baseball'
CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo is advocating for a shorter season, even if that means a smaller paycheck for players.

"I think we play too much baseball," Rizzo said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on ESPN 1000. "Yes, guys are going to take pay cuts. But are we playing this game for the money or do we love this game? I know it's both, but in the long run it will make everything better."

Rizzo believes a transition period with guaranteed contracts could be worked out, perhaps "grandfathering" them into a new system with new contracts reflecting fewer games played.

"Once you start taking money from guys, that's where it's going to be a little more dicey," he said.

The Cubs postponed back-to-back games Sunday and Monday and are scheduled to take on the St. Louis Cardinals in freezing temperatures Tuesday night. Rizzo has been on the disabled list with back tightness but is scheduled to play Tuesday.

The conditions at Wrigley Field, however, won't be ideal for someone coming off a back ailment.

"I think playing in the cold sucks," Rizzo said. "I was thinking about this the other day. When you think of Cubs and Cardinals, you think of a beautiful Saturday at Wrigley Field. You don't think about playing in 20 degrees."

Even if the season isn't shortened, Rizzo sees no reason it has to start so early.

"In a perfect world, we'd start the season later and play a few scheduled doubleheaders going into an off day," he said. "As a fan you're going to a baseball game in April, and it's raining, snowing and [with] freezing rain. Is it really that much fun? That's my question."

I agree with Rizzo ... shorten the season ... bring back scheduled doubleheaders to make up for it a bit

opening day should be May 1st ... World Series finished by end of September
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Tonight's game..and the ending was great. My son and I had to drop off his son (my grandson)..so good grandpa..left watching a pitchers duel (Hamels vs Scherzer)..in the 8th..dropped off grandson..
I had put the game on my phone..

When Bote hit the Slam..!!!! We went nuts..stopped for an ice cream and enjoyed the post game on 670..
Fucking great night..here 1800 miles from Wrigley..!!
UOK
Site Admin

docc wrote:Tonight's game..and the ending was great. My son and I had to drop off his son (my grandson)..so good grandpa..left watching a pitchers duel (Hamels vs Scherzer)..in the 8th..dropped off grandson..
I had put the game on my phone..

When Bote hit the Slam..!!!! We went nuts..stopped for an ice cream and enjoyed the post game on 670..
Fucking great night..here 1800 miles from Wrigley..!!

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp ... _2500K.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Relive it here. Amazing. Wish I watched it in the moment.
malagabears
Journeyman

Cubs fan here, I hope they go all the way! GO CUBS & BEARS!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-T580 mediante Tapatalk
docc
Head Coach

And the Cubs are done..47 games in 49 days..

Hitting coach Chili Davis will be gone

And..wait till next year..now Bears..Hawks and Bulls for me..
Last edited by docc on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOK
Site Admin

Fuck the Cubs for that. Like 8 hits in 40 innings. Disgraceful.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:And the Cubs are done..47 games in 49 days..

Is it Chili's fault these guys swing from the heels constantly? Don't take pitches at the right time? The players under performed. This game, I have never seen more swings out balls out of the zone, hell, by both teams. The hitters need to start thinking about getting on base instead of HRs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
docc wrote:And the Cubs are done..47 games in 49 days..

Is it Chili's fault these guys swing from the heels constantly? Don't take pitches at the right time? The players under performed. This game, I have never seen more swings out balls out of the zone, hell, by both teams. The hitters need to start thinking about getting on base instead of HRs.

yeah, I don't think it was the hitting coaches problem either ... it was a 1 run game and everyone seemed to want to be the one to put one on Waveland ... even the Rockies ... and what won the game? small ball

and there is nothing wrong with playing small ball in a close game where the possibility of even 1 run can be big
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think the schedule did them in. Hitters were tired.