What are your favorite vacation destinations?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

malagabears
Journeyman

Long time removed from the US for personal and career reasons but I love to travel. So with that said what are some of your favorite vacations spots and where have you been?

I personally have travelled to 5 continents (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, & Africa). I personally have made it a goal to visit the following destinations in the next 2-3 years.

1. South Africa - I want to travel into the bush and go on a genuine safari before too long. SA is the best country for me with 2 huge game reserves.
2. Australia - Apart from Antartica which I doubt I will visit it is the only continent I have not hit yet.

All in all I have been to 15-20 countries on those 5 continents I mentioned.

I am personally doing the Caribbean because my wife loves it and I kinda do too.

Enviado desde mi SM-T580 mediante Tapatalk
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My wife and I visited Mexico and Ireland (and have traveled quite a bit in Canada, but that's not really another country unless you get into the French Canadian areas). I really like Ireland and had a blast when we were there staying in peoples' homes as part of a B&B voucher system we found. I think I would really like to take a Scottish highland tour one of these years.

Most of our traveling ranges from Tennessee to Maine in the states. We really love the Smokey Mountains in TN, The White Mountains in NH, and the Adirondacks in NY. Scenery, hiking and good food are prerequisites for me for a good vacation.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malagabears
Journeyman

Atkins&Rebel wrote:My wife and I visited Mexico and Ireland (and have traveled quite a bit in Canada, but that's not really another country unless you get into the French Canadian areas). I really like Ireland and had a blast when we were there staying in peoples' homes as part of a B&B voucher system we found. I think I would really like to take a Scottish highland tour one of these years.

Most of our traveling ranges from Tennessee to Maine in the states. We really love the Smokey Mountains in TN, The White Mountains in NH, and the Adirondacks in NY. Scenery, hiking and good food are prerequisites for me for a good vacation.
Europe is incredible to visit because of the sheer amount of culture and diversity you have. For example where I live in southern Spain it is a 4.5 hours drive to Portugal, 1.5 hours to Gibratar, or 2 hours to get to Algeciras which then takes you on an hour ferry to Morroco. The food in Europe is quite diverse as well. So much to do and see.
UOK
Site Admin

My family is huge on going to western Michigan every summer. It's a great place to camp.
malagabears
Journeyman

When I visit the US in Nov-Dec I am going to try and travel back to Niagara Falls to take my elderly mom. She has been under the weather lately and loved NF tbe last time I took her 12 years ago. I might drive around that region for an exgra day or 2 if anyone is from there and has any tips?
Butkus1970
Rookie

I'm from the UK & have lived in or visited many parts of Europe & Australia as well as Hong Kong but my favourite destination is the US.

I have been around 11-12 times mostly to the usual holiday places like Orlando & California but Vegas is my all time favourite, i have been 8 times so far....

I really want to visit NY/Boston & Chicago in the near future. Hopefully i will get there in the next couple of years.
malagabears
Journeyman

Butkus, Ireally wantto do onemajor trip to Australia (3 or 4 weeks) butman that is a long flight. Almost have to do it in Business to arrive in any good shape and not knackerd. We shall see but maybe late next year or early 2020.
Butkus1970
Rookie

malagabears wrote:Butkus, Ireally wantto do onemajor trip to Australia (3 or 4 weeks) butman that is a long flight. Almost have to do it in Business to arrive in any good shape and not knackerd. We shall see but maybe late next year or early 2020.
It is a brutal flight for sure. Both times i went i went in Economy (coach) & it is nasty! The first time i went i went for four weeks (Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide) & the second time for three weeks (Adelaide & Brisbane). Two weeks is an absolute minimum but, like you, i would have to somehow try & find the funds to fly business if i were to ever do it again.

Good luck!
malagabears
Journeyman

Butkus1970 wrote:
malagabears wrote:Butkus, Ireally wantto do onemajor trip to Australia (3 or 4 weeks) butman that is a long flight. Almost have to do it in Business to arrive in any good shape and not knackerd. We shall see but maybe late next year or early 2020.
It is a brutal flight for sure. Both times i went i went in Economy (coach) & it is nasty! The first time i went i went for four weeks (Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide) & the second time for three weeks (Adelaide & Brisbane). Two weeks is an absolute minimum but, like you, i would have to somehow try & find the funds to fly business if i were to ever do it again.

Good luck!
Well, I was able to have a very successful career and have retired young (54) and have been to Germany and the Caribbean already this year. Actually headed back to the Carribean on the 29th for 10 nights and then back to the US on 7 Nov to see Mum. That yearly trip is mandatory.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Usually somewhere warm and touristy with the wife and kids for a week and 1 week every summer with the boys fishing in northern Saskatchewan.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

When the kids were younger they loved the Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells. They wanted to go every year.

I love Colorado. Love mountains. Done the touristy things there (white water rafting, Pikes Peak, St Mary's Glacier...). Best experience was biking down the mountains with my oldest son. They took you to the top, gave you a map and said have fun. It was awesome.
G08
Hall of Famer

Amsterdam. The knee-jerk response is "ohh weed and prostitutes!" but it's such a beautiful place to me. So much history, such a laid back environment, beautiful scenery/canals. I'm going back again in a couple weeks and then off to Germany for Oktoberfest!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Amsterdam. The knee-jerk response is "ohh weed and prostitutes!" but it's such a beautiful place to me. So much history, such a laid back environment, beautiful scenery/canals. I'm going back again in a couple weeks and then off to Germany for Oktoberfest!
I miss being able to get a train to Amsterdam. I still didn't do it often but it was nice.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HawkBear
Rookie

G08 wrote:Amsterdam. The knee-jerk response is "ohh weed and prostitutes!" but it's such a beautiful place to me. So much history, such a laid back environment, beautiful scenery/canals. I'm going back again in a couple weeks and then off to Germany for Oktoberfest!
I second this. Amsterdam is badass. I went in my early 20s, would like to go back now that I am a bit older.
Pagan
MVP

Last year, I at exactly this time, my wife & I took a trip to 7 day trip where we spent 5 days in Italy (visiting our daughter stationed in Aviano) & 2 days in our layover location Dublin Ireland.

1st.. let me say that Aer Lingus isn't just a fancy "Mile High Club" position.. it's a pretty great affordable airliner.

Anyone looking for a holiday overseas... Anywhere in Europe is a great generic landing spot. Most of us here in the US do not fully appreciate the size of our country vs. that of Europe= Our states are basically a European country.
This means you can fill your passport, & more importantly, min~max your time/culture ratio!

We loved our time in Northern & Central Italy, so much great ancient to renniassance era architecture.

Hands down.... for us though was Ireland.
The weather was stereotypical "Ireland weather" ; misty rain & chilly, but yet everything stays green & beautiful there.

What REALLY sold us were the people.
Ireland is CHAULK full of story tellers & comedians.
Everyone we met had personality +.

This Feb, and I after the Bears Superb Bowl game we're going on a cruise to Belize for some scuba & pagan temple adventures.
Then on the way back up to South Bend IN we're pitstopping in New Orleans March 5th for Mardi Gras.

Anyone here have advice for Belize or Mardi Gras?