Eddie Jackson -- Best FS in the NFL?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I want to someone to make the argument as to why Jackson is NOT the best FS in the league.

Ready...GO!

I have watched the pick in the Lions game about 15 times. I can tell you, without a doubt, Jackson read that play from the moment they lined up. Just like he did with the Vikings. His ability to diagnose a play, and time his route to the ball in order to make an effective play on it, IS RIDICULOUS. This is not normal. Being able to not only read the play, but then time the route to make sure you are there when the ball is, is insane.

OK. Someone make the argument. I want to hear it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He scores too much?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Maybe. He’s been a nonfactor on offense this season though.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rich man's Mike Brown.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I want to someone to make the argument as to why Jackson is NOT the best FS in the league.

Ready...GO!

I have watched the pick in the Lions game about 15 times. I can tell you, without a doubt, Jackson read that play from the moment they lined up. Just like he did with the Vikings. His ability to diagnose a play, and time his route to the ball in order to make an effective play on it, IS RIDICULOUS. This is not normal. Being able to not only read the play, but then time the route to make sure you are there when the ball is, is insane.

OK. Someone make the argument. I want to hear it.
Yeah, but can he run block?

Now in all seriousness, remember when a lot of us were concerned about how are we going to pay Amos? If I can only keep one, I keep Eddie Jackson. He needs to get paid.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Only real concern is how his tackling can be God-awful during his bad games. He had a 2-3 game stretch starting with MIA IIRC that he was routinely taking bad angles and just missing ballcarriers. I don't think I can remember a game where he was actually abused through the air.

But when he is on, holy shit the guy is ridiculously good. I think the 'lows' will dissipate with more time on the field, he really is a converted corner who didn't get as much game experience due to injuries he sustained in college. He is still learning the position really... which is crazy considering how often he is playing at an elite level.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

When we drafted Jackson I was stunned he had fallen that far because his talent was lower 1st/high 2nd round. I also was worried his injury might be worse than thought going into the draft because he had fallen. At this point it is clear the collective GMs were all a bit too cautious and we got a steal in the 4th.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Rich man's Mike Brown.
this is accurate
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

If you go back and watch the Minnesota pick-6 and the one yesterday. Jackson is playing perfect complimentary defense. He is reacting to routes based on the pass rush. He has studied, and knows the routes that the opposition is going to run, and then he is diagnosing them before the ball has been snapped. He is the definition of a ball hawk.

On top of that, I am really surprised by his speed. His ability to diagnose, and then fly to the ball is amazing. He accelerates so fast, the QB doesn't know he's driving to intercept the ball until it's out of the QB's hand, and it's too late.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

In all seriousness, yes. He is. Most people would say Earl, but he's hurt and aging. Many might go to Eric Weddle, who Im a fan of, but his numbers are rather pedestrian this season.
malk
Head Coach

I've been gutted about missing out on Weddle since that draft day, finally Jackson is the player to put that to bed.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don’t know if this link will work, but the Bears Instagram posted a photo showing Eddie is 7th in Pro Bowl votes among Free Safeties. There’s SIX Free Safeties getting more votes than him, and that makes my brain hurt.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:

I don’t know if this link will work, but the Bears Instagram posted a photo showing Eddie is 7th in Pro Bowl votes among Free Safeties. There’s SIX Free Safeties getting more votes than him, and that makes my brain hurt.

What was the stat that I read. He has more pick sixes than any other FS going back to 2015....and Jackson was drafted in 2017.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:

What was the stat that I read. He has more pick sixes than any other FS going back to 2015....and Jackson was drafted in 2017.
It’s in this thread. He leads the NFL in defensive td’s since 2015, not just free safeties.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:If you go back and watch the Minnesota pick-6 and the one yesterday. Jackson is playing perfect complimentary defense. He is reacting to routes based on the pass rush. He has studied, and knows the routes that the opposition is going to run, and then he is diagnosing them before the ball has been snapped. He is the definition of a ball hawk.

On top of that, I am really surprised by his speed. His ability to diagnose, and then fly to the ball is amazing. He accelerates so fast, the QB doesn't know he's driving to intercept the ball until it's out of the QB's hand, and it's too late.

his speed was well hidden in his senior year of college as he had a few minor leg issues before breaking his leg ... nothing serious, but a bruise here, a strain there, and only playing 3/4 speed (but still doing well enough to remain a starter)

the Bears stole him in the 4th round the year he was drafted, and he may well not have been 100% his rookie season .... but now we get to see how a healthy version of him pays big dividends
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

[video][/video]

https://youtu.be/wng8PrcYmwY

Great breakdown of why we ABSOLUTELY stole Eddie Jackson in the 4th round of the draft & prob helps cement the idea that Amos will most likely be gone during the next FA period.

Not sure if you guys have heard, but I but there's more than 1 source claiming Action Jackson as a legit contender for Defense Player of the Year, and at this pace.. I Def agree!