What Do You Think of Coach Nagy’s Use of Mizzell?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

He’s been used more frequently in these past two games and has done well but is it at the expense of Howard?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mizzell is Cohen-lite in Nagy's eyes, I think. I'm not a fan of Mizzell, because I think he's useless if you hand him the ball. To some extent yes, it's at Howard's expense and I don't like that either.

Nagy has said for a couple weeks now that he's dissatisfied with the run game. That has to mean more Howard and Less Mizzell (as long as Cohen is playing).

But who am I to criticize our coach who now has us 8-3 now and the happiest I've been as a Bear fan in years? :surrender: :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

I've never seen Mizzell do anything that Cunningham cannot do better. I don't understand what the Bears see in him. He's a waste of space.
wab
Mod

He seems to be getting more time at the expense of Cunningham. He’s got a little more speed maybe?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I heard in an interview, he likes Mizzell's hands. Nagy loves the little scatback types of RB's that he can split wide and create mismatches in the secondary. As much as he tells Howard he's going to "get him going". I don't actually think it's going to happen, and that will be by design. Nagy doesn't want a big, zone scheme, off tackle, RB. That doesn't fit his offense.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It didn't hurt the team so can't be a bad thing.
Middleguard
MVP

wab wrote:He seems to be getting more time at the expense of Cunningham. He’s got a little more speed maybe?
That just means he's going nowhere fast.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Benny is the one MIA with Mizzel getting reps. If he performed better I'd like him more, but as long as we are winning, it doesn't hurt to get a feel for what he may be able to offer the team.
EricTighe
MVP

Perhaps his extended playing time has to do with the change at QB?

We will see when Trubisky comes back if Mizzel still gets all the reps he does now?
wab
Mod

I guess...I don't really care who he chooses, or how he chooses to use the 3rd string RB.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't really care that much, but he's getting targeted too often for my tastes. Hey, if he gets open, he gets open.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Does anyone remember when he was picked up last year? They talked about how quick he was. He hasn't shown it on the field yet, but I do think Nagy sees him as Cohen light.

Benny C is also hurt, which is why he's seeing more of the field. Add into the fact that Howard seems to be getting phased out b/c he's struggling and you have Mizzel getting more touches. Howard got 18 touches last year, around mid Oct it was 16 touches, and I believe its around 14 touches now(all average per game).
sturf
Journeyman

I think it's important to remember is that Mizzell is not replacing a RB. I think that's where people get confused. He's replacing a WR because both White and Wims have no special teams value. To play on coverage and return teams is why he's active on game day and because he's is active they are playing him a little offense primarily in Cohen's role as a slot receiver. I haven't checked the snap counts to see if this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were using Mizzell to protect Anthony Miller from having to play as much special teams as he was earlier in the season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think the more people that get their hands on the ball in the offense and produce, the harder it is for the defense to game plan against us. Works for me.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty sure we are going to look hard at RB in free agency and the draft. Methinks all that smoke about Howard not being a good fit for this offense had some merit to it...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:Pretty sure we are going to look hard at RB in free agency and the draft. Methinks all that smoke about Howard not being a good fit for this offense had some merit to it...
I would agree with this. Regardless of the reason Howard has struggled in this O, and is getting fewer and fewer carries as the year goes on. I cannot see how that leads to him staying.

I would prefer he does and the team figures out how to use him, but imo this goes beyond scheme and Nagy not wanting not use him(he's top 10 in carries and earlier in the year he was around 6th in carries). This appears to be a performance/fit issue; unless it comes out after the season he was injured. If he's playing w/a bad hammy and just trying to work through it, ala Matt Forte in his soph year, then He'll definitely be kept.
Z Bear
MVP

I do not think Jordan Howard is the issue as much as the offensive line and play calling. How many times has he been hit behind the line of scrimmage this year? That is not on the RB.
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote:I do not think Jordan Howard is the issue as much as the offensive line and play calling. How many times has he been hit behind the line of scrimmage this year? That is not on the RB.
I don't have a lot of gripes about Nagy, but the one I do have is his blocking scheme. He's got literally one guy on the line that is a power blocker, and that's Massey.

Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, and Kush/Witzmann are all pass blockers/ZBS guys. They aren't maulers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Z Bear wrote:I do not think Jordan Howard is the issue as much as the offensive line and play calling. How many times has he been hit behind the line of scrimmage this year? That is not on the RB.
I don't have a lot of gripes about Nagy, but the one I do have is his blocking scheme. He's got literally one guy on the line that is a power blocker, and that's Massey.

Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, and Kush/Witzmann are all pass blockers/ZBS guys. They aren't maulers.
That in combination with the breakdown of Howard as a pure zone runner, really is the issue. It's not that Howard or our OL is ineffective, it's that Nagy isn't playing to their strengths. Given how much Nagy values the run game, that's not suprising.

I don't know this WAB, so I am asking for your's or someone else's expertise. Can you run an RPO based offense with a zone blocking scheme?
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:

That in combination with the breakdown of Howard as a pure zone runner, really is the issue. It's not that Howard or our OL is ineffective, it's that Nagy isn't playing to their strengths. Given how much Nagy values the run game, that's not suprising.

I don't know this WAB, so I am asking for your's or someone else's expertise. Can you run an RPO based offense with a zone blocking scheme?
You can, but it's mostly going to be inside zone. In an RPO heavy offense, the blocking scheme will really depend on what defense the other team is in.

Generally the offensive line will block inside zone with the backside of the offensive line base blocking, which gives the QB protection in case he decides to throw. If the offense has the favorable numbers in the box, the QB will hand the ball off to the back on the inside zone play. That's whee the struggle is coming. Howard was successful in the stretch zone because he was all the Bears had and defenses loaded up to stop him inside. Now the defense has to account for the RPO and tends to spread out more, limiting the cutback lanes he thrived on.

There's also a lot of nuances with blocking "covered" or "uncovered" in both inside and outside zone schemes, and I'm not familiar enough with what Hiestand does in those situations and how that could be impacting Howard.
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote:How many times has he been hit behind the line of scrimmage this year? That is not on the RB.
It kinda is though, because he's slow to anticipate the RPO. When the Bears have favorable blocking and Mitch hands the ball to Howard, he's just not hitting the holes (seeing the holes?) fast enough. Howard is used to getting the handoff and getting to a running lane.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think we're seeing more Mizzell because the PR/KR has been shit, Cunningham got hurt in the Lions game, and because the running game in general has been struggling. It could be that he likes Mizzell or it could be that he's the last option.

As for the Howard stuff, I'm still thinking that there's no point in worrying about it because he's so inexpensive. So what if he gets only a few carries? I guess we start talking about "he doesn't contribute on special teams"?
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
C'mon Boris...you can find something to complain about. You usually do... :taunt:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
C'mon Boris...you can find something to complain about. You usually do... :taunt:

every complaint I had at the beginning of the season, I have watched the Bears get better at ... and while it wasn't a direct improvement to my specific complaint of the time, it was always a step in the right direction ... sometimes big, sometimes small, but a step in the right direction

it is so refreshing to actually witness a team being rebuilt and reborn into success right before my eyes, and I am so damn appreciative of it, that no, I have no complaints with how this team is being run nor with the results we are witnessing

and I am really pleased my pre-season prediction of a 10-6 Bears team may have actually been conservative :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

every complaint I had at the beginning of the season, I have watched the Bears get better at ... and while it wasn't a direct improvement to my specific complaint of the time, it was always a step in the right direction ... sometimes big, sometimes small, but a step in the right direction

it is so refreshing to actually witness a team being rebuilt and reborn into success right before my eyes, and I am so damn appreciative of it, that no, I have no complaints with how this team is being run nor with the results we are witnessing

and I am really pleased my pre-season prediction of a 10-6 Bears team may have actually been conservative :toast:
To your point, we're scoring almost 30 points a game while really only running this offense at full speed for 2.5 quarters per game. We're 8-3. The defense is amazing. I'm ecstatic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

To your point, we're scoring almost 30 points a game while really only running this offense at full speed for 2.5 quarters per game. We're 8-3. The defense is amazing. I'm ecstatic.
If the Bears can score 30-40 points a game next year, and at the very least, maintain the defense (I think it will get better) they are going to win A LOT of games. Honestly I'm not sure who I would put above the Bears. All of the high-flying offenses this year have a mediocre defense at best.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

If the Bears can score 30-40 points a game next year, and at the very least, maintain the defense (I think it will get better) they are going to win A LOT of games. Honestly I'm not sure who I would put above the Bears. All of the high-flying offenses this year have a mediocre defense at best.
Agreed.

The big thing to watch next year is how does the Bears additional experience in Nagy's system offset the opposing defense having a full year of game film. I think that ends up being a wash and we still put up a ton of points per game.

Next year, losses like the GB and NE ones don't happen. GB was a function of unfamiliarity with the system and road jitters. Kyle Fuller also makes that INT more often than not. Special teams fucked up against NE. We should be 10-1 in the first year of Nagy's system and year 2 of Biscuit's career (really year 1).

Another thing is that we have to be at the point where the free agent who is on the fence between deciding whether to play in Chicago or someplace else leans towards us.
Pagan
MVP

Tons of great responses on this thread & exactly why I see the Bears owning this division for the next 5+ years.

The Bears are already the most obviously complete & talented roster in the division.
They're also the youngest, and the which means that most of the players are still scratching the surface & ascending!

All of this discounting any future offseason moves that Pace will undoubtably make.

We've all had to witness such terrible franchise bungle for so many years, and it can be difficult to see or accept what is obviously before us.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Pagan wrote:Tons of great responses on this thread & exactly why I see the Bears owning this division for the next 5+ years.

The Bears are already the most obviously complete & talented roster in the division.
They're also the youngest, and the which means that most of the players are still scratching the surface & ascending!

All of this discounting any future offseason moves that Pace will undoubtably make.

We've all had to witness such terrible franchise bungle for so many years, and it can be difficult to see or accept what is obviously before us.
Probably cannot go beyond a few years b/c of how quickly it can all change via draft and fa. But I tend to agree the O should get better and the D should remain the same/similar. Should make for a more competitive team overall.