The 2017 Draft Class

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's an interesting look back...

1. Mitchell Trubisky
Of course, he was the #2 pick in the draft, so he comes with expectations. But how many #2 pick QBs flame out? Biscuit is already a decent NFL QB and he has tons more to learn! The arrow is definitely pointing up for him and there's every reason to think he'll continue to improve.

2. Adam Shaheen
Missing over half the season on IR has held back his progress. But we saw flashes last year and more in TC. It will be really interesting to see how he is woven into the offense the rest of this year.

4a. Eddie Jackson
Five defensive TDs in 27 games and an odds on Pro Bowl guy in year 2 says it all.

4b. Tarik Cohen
A big play waiting to happen matchup nightmare. A game breaker.

5. Jordan Morgan
Swing and a miss.

If you look at this draft class and consider the potential still there for the top 2 selections, this could be an absolutely STELLAR draft class, considering it was only 5 guys. Thumbs up Ryan Pace!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Pace has to get an A on that one.

Probable franchise top 7 (maybe higher) level QB
Currently the best safety in football
An explosive RB that's used in multiple facets of the offense and is a threat to score everytime he gets the ball.

The last two drafts have been homeruns.
cblaz11
MVP

Shaheen needs to stay healthy...That’s a concern.

Anytime you find your franchise QB in a draft it’s going to be considered a hit....Eddie Jackson and Cohen makes this draft a homerun. If Shaheen can stay healthy it could be a grand slam.

The 2016 class is going to come down to one guy IMO, Leonard Floyd. Whitehair and Howard were great picks, I have a feeling Bush will be starting in place of Amos next year, but we need Floyd to stay healthy and step up. That said, I think he’s played the best 4 game stretch of his career. He’s getting after it out there...He may not be getting the sacks but he forcing plays.

Man, the 2018 class has the making me of a legendary draft class. Smith, Daniels, and Miller all look like potential pro bowl players. Nichols is a beast, Fitts and Wims both should stick on the roster long term. Also, Tolliver is a potential starter heading into next year if we say bye to Prince.

It will be interesting to see what Pace has in his bag of tricks in next years draft.
snake95
Journeyman

Considering Pace (at the moment) only will have a few draft picks heading into next years draft it makes the 2018 class even more impressive IMO. Also considering we may not be big players in FA next year due to the Mack aquisition I kind of wonder if if Howard will be moved for additional picks...He's the one guy teams may covet...I for one hope not because I love the guy and he's the best bruising punishing type runner we've had in years and he stays healthy (knock on wood). Curious as to why under Fox and everyone knew we were feeding him the ball he would produce, however in Nagy's offense he tends to get stopped more often. I'll be curious to see Howards impact the rest of the way.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

snake95 wrote:Considering Pace (at the moment) only will have a few draft picks heading into next years draft it makes the 2018 class even more impressive IMO. Also considering we may not be big players in FA next year due to the Mack aquisition I kind of wonder if if Howard will be moved for additional picks...He's the one guy teams may covet...I for one hope not because I love the guy and he's the best bruising punishing type runner we've had in years and he stays healthy (knock on wood). Curious as to why under Fox and everyone knew we were feeding him the ball he would produce, however in Nagy's offense he tends to get stopped more often. I'll be curious to see Howards impact the rest of the way.
Going forward, I think we should call it "the Mackquisition". :toast:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

cblaz11
MVP

I’m curious what Howard would net on the market....money or trade value.

Would you move him for a 3rd rd pick? I’m not sure I would. That said, I’m not sure what I’d pay him either.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

cblaz11 wrote:I’m curious what Howard would net on the market....money or trade value.

Would you move him for a 3rd rd pick? I’m not sure I would. That said, I’m not sure what I’d pay him either.

I think Howard knows his days are numbered at this point... I just don't see the Bears extending his contract and you might as well get what you can for a guy of his caliber. This offense is supposed to be unpredictable and would be better off with a guy that's like Forte (for instance), I think Nagy wants players to be sort of interchangeable to an extent.

Having one guy that doesn't fit the mold of the speedy/quick guys on offense now does give the D an advantage in some cases. If he was a 3rd back and being paid like one then I wouldn't see a problem for short yardage instances or running the clock out keeping him around. But for the production he's had since becoming a Bear he deserves to get paid by a team that he can finish out his career with and be productive. However, going off of what I've seen this year I'm just not seeing that team being the Bears. I could be wrong...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I think Shaheen takes the draft class from an A+ to an A. To find two difference makers in the fourth round, and Trubisky was a heck of a draft.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:I’m curious what Howard would net on the market....money or trade value.

If you were going to trade Howard--particularly mid-season--I'd think you'd trade him for another RB on the other team's roster that fits your scheme better. That seems to be to be the obvious way to go about it. Trade a Howard for a team's #2 that you think could thrive in our blocking style and get another draft pick back in the deal. It seems a bit scary to figure you're going to find a starting RB in R3.

docc
Head Coach

Howard was 5th rounder in 2016...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Howard was 5th rounder in 2016...
And 2nd in the league in rushing and went to the Pro Bowl.

docc
Head Coach

Yes..that's the point exactly..

RBs that fit in an Offense can succeed..even if 5th rounder.
I like Jordan..hope he can be a force in this offense..but RBs are always available..
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

At this point I have kind of written off Shaheen. Trubisky is clearly the most important pick. At number 2, plus being a QB,you expect a franchise player. He is still a developmening player. Hopefully he stays healthy. Cohen was a good pick. He provides a dynamic player. Jackson appears to be the jewel. His growth and ability could essentially be all pro level for years, as long as there is no recession or injury.

The 2019 draft class hasn't really excited me. At this point it appears to be a weaker class.
BR0D1E86
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
The 2019 draft class hasn't really excited me. At this point it appears to be a weaker class.
You mean last year’s draft? Kind of odd to say given we got what appears to be a plus starting MLB, a plus starting interior offensive lineman, at a minimum a top 3 receiver, and Nichols in the 5th who has flashed some real ability. It is shaping up to be a hell of a good draft return.

If you mean next year’s draft, I’m barely invested in it with no first or second round picks.
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

BR0D1E86 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
You mean last year’s draft? Kind of odd to say given we got what appears to be a plus starting MLB, a plus starting interior offensive lineman, at a minimum a top 3 receiver, and Nichols in the 5th who has flashed some real ability. It is shaping up to be a hell of a good draft return.

If you mean next year’s draft, I’m barely invested in it with no first or second round picks.
They might always trade a future 2 to get a 2 this year type thing.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

No I mean next year's class sorry. My point was if your missing picks it's not a bad draft to miss them.

I came up with a metric to grade drafts last year. Fairly basic but it uses games, games played, and PFR 's AV (adjusted value). It takes the best 2 years after 4 years.

The thought was to try and negate my biases from judgement. I don't know the exact accuracy because I have not tinkered with it enough.

With extrapolation and guessing the classes rate

2015 B +
Goldman, Amos, Callahan (whom I included) really carry the class. Amos and Goodman are super steady and Calihan is a great surprise.

2016 C
Floyd, Whitehair, Howard where the guys everyone else added depth but not much in the grading.

2017 A+
Trubs Cohen and Jackson. Do to so few picks, three performers, and my perhaps flawed formula this group scored incredibly high.

2018 B-

I low balled everyone on the list. Daniels likely will ne a starter but who really knows. Miller essentially the same. I used Trevathan as a comparable fire Smith. Still with low estimates doing well.