Kareem Hunt filmed tackling, kicking woman

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:It sucks because it looks like two drunk people doing stupid shit and I mean, yeah, he shouldn't have done that, but I don't think she's all that injured, just loopy and shitfaced.

Compared to Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend the fuck out with a right cross to the chin, this is jack shit, but it does speak to maybe the guy not having a great moral character.
Let the criminal investigation, if any, play out and see if we can get him to fit in here pending the results of that.

He knows the offense and he's a beast.
Been reading about this on various forums and twitter... I find the ranges of opinions fascinating. That being said, a lawyer indicated that based on the evidence this would be considered a misdemeanor at most and that it *should* cost Hunt 2-3 games.

I don't think the Bears will even sniff him, though. Me? I'd kick the tires on the kid IF I felt he was remorseful for his anger issues and genuinely wanted to have a chance to prove himself. I don't believe something like this should ruin a young man's life (this ostensibly could cost him millions upon millions of dollars).

Still... after the McDonald thing I don't see this happening.
I sincerely agree with the sentiment that this shouldn't ruin someone's life and yes I fully admit and want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Say that this incident costs him a job permanently in the league. Then what? Five years from now he robs someplace and hurts someone in the process? Gets addicted to drugs and then his life is over in his mid-20s? Over what exactly? An altercation?

A lot of people in the media are going to condemn this guy ad nauseam for the next several weeks, months maybe even years. I'd love to see what their private lives look like yet they're so quick to judge, condemn and try to ruin a guy's life over this.

Professional athletes are human beings just like the rest of us. None of us are perfect. Yet we put them on this high pedestal for personal behavior because they get paid millions of dollars and can do cool shit in sports. It isn't fair.

If it were me as the GM of the Bears, I'd be ringing his phone off the hook right now because a massive opportunity just landed in our lap.
Do you believe Kaepernick should be blacklisted for his political work? Because all too often the people who say "damn, this shouldnt end his career" also believe that Kaep made a decision and it's Kaep's fault and that the NFL is well within it's right to end his career.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I imagine he will play somewhere next season and hopefully he can turn it around. Seattle, Oakland would be my top two guesses.

He will not play again this year if the info the chiefs put out is true that he lied to the nfl and them. He probably will sit a portion of next season as well.

I highly doubt they will even take a look at him.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:It sucks because it looks like two drunk people doing stupid shit and I mean, yeah, he shouldn't have done that, but I don't think she's all that injured, just loopy and shitfaced.

Compared to Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend the fuck out with a right cross to the chin, this is jack shit, but it does speak to maybe the guy not having a great moral character.
Let the criminal investigation, if any, play out and see if we can get him to fit in here pending the results of that.

Been reading about this on various forums and twitter... I find the ranges of opinions fascinating. That being said, a lawyer indicated that based on the evidence this would be considered a misdemeanor at most and that it *should* cost Hunt 2-3 games.

I don't think the Bears will even sniff him, though. Me? I'd kick the tires on the kid IF I felt he was remorseful for his anger issues and genuinely wanted to have a chance to prove himself. I don't believe something like this should ruin a young man's life (this ostensibly could cost him millions upon millions of dollars).

I sincerely agree with the sentiment that this shouldn't ruin someone's life and yes I fully admit and want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Say that this incident costs him a job permanently in the league. Then what? Five years from now he robs someplace and hurts someone in the process? Gets addicted to drugs and then his life is over in his mid-20s? Over what exactly? An altercation?

A lot of people in the media are going to condemn this guy ad nauseam for the next several weeks, months maybe even years. I'd love to see what their private lives look like yet they're so quick to judge, condemn and try to ruin a guy's life over this.

Professional athletes are human beings just like the rest of us. None of us are perfect. Yet we put them on this high pedestal for personal behavior because they get paid millions of dollars and can do cool shit in sports. It isn't fair.

If it were me as the GM of the Bears, I'd be ringing his phone off the hook right now because a massive opportunity just landed in our lap.
Do you believe Kaepernick should be blacklisted for his political work? Because all too often the people who say "damn, this shouldnt end his career" also believe that Kaep made a decision and it's Kaep's fault and that the NFL is well within it's right to end his career.
I absolutely belive Kaepernick should not be blacklisted for his political work.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Realistically it's a disorderly conduct charge times 2 maybe 3 depending on statements. Battery would be tossed out but both are misdemeanors.

His willingness to go after her, in my opinion, indicates he has the mindset that fighting women is okay. She also seems to have the same gene. It amazes me that people don't understand true danger. She is lucky it didn't end up worse.

It would behoove him to not drink. I could see this type of thing happening again.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

On the Kaepernick thing. He was offered jobs but refused for pay or starting reasons. I believe the NFL didn't want to deal with the drama, but I also believe he has some culpability.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I absolutely belive Kaepernick should not be blacklisted for his political work.
Total agreement and I don't even agree with Kaepernick's approach. His concerns yes absolutely, just not the execution of how he wants to get his message across.
wab
Mod

I don’t want Hunt within three states of the Bears.
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I really don’t have a problem with Kaepernick not having a job. He’s bad PR, and not a very good quarterback. He’s not worth the headache. He also (reportedly) had some insanely unrealistic expectations of his worth as he was job hunting, so his being unemployed is partly due to that as well.

What I do have a problem with is that I’d like to see guys with serious DV issues (which this is not, but it’s similar) be just as toxic.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I am of the opinion that a man should not hit a woman beyond reasonable self-defense. But I'm also of the opinion that white people shouldn't be slinging the N-word at black people without being ready to be cold-cocked. So this is rather conflicting.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:On the Kaepernick thing. He was offered jobs but refused for pay or starting reasons. I believe the NFL didn't want to deal with the drama, but I also believe he has some culpability.
I realize at this point that it's a battle I cant win, but i'd be remiss if i didnt once again point out that "kaep's wild salary demands" and "kaep turned down multiple offers" has always been bullshit, kaep said it was bullshit, and it's so painfully obvious that it's just lies leaked by a colluding nfl to paint them in the right... Teams WERE interested in Kaep before he ramped up his activism, which only lends credence to his argument that he's being blacklisted.
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:I am of the opinion that a man should not hit a woman beyond reasonable self-defense. But I'm also of the opinion that white people shouldn't be slinging the N-word at black people without being ready to be cold-cocked. So this is rather conflicting.
I believe this is where I’ve landed as well.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I find this situation rather fascinating. For the record, when I raised my 3 kids, I told them to just walk away in situations like this. And I taught my boys to never hit a woman. What Hunt did was wrong, no doubt about it.

Ray Rice gave a wheelhouse right hook to a pretty defenseless woman in an elevator and put her out cold, IIRC. And despite that that name keeps getting mentioned when introducing the Hunt incident, there's no comparison whatsoever between the two. Honestly, after hearing the radio descriptions and then watching the video, I was flabbergasted at my media induced perception vs. reality.

Here's what I saw. Two angry people. She approached him saying something (by accounts calling him the N word). He pushed her away. Same thing happens again. For starters he was being the aggressor by approaching him. His pushing her away is not what I'd advise, but that should be no crime. He wasn't trying to hurt her, just get her away from him. A bunch of people grab him as his anger escalates... being even ferociously angry isn't a crime either... and he doesn't like being restrained. Nobody would. So he pushes back and one person flies into another person who knocks her over. Now if she's injured as a result, there's some blame that goes his way, but it's certainly not direct assault or anything like that. After that, while being held back he puts a foot into her leg, the worst of his transgressions. She wasn't doing anything wrong or being threatening and he just put his heel into her. That's the long and short of it.

Now if I'm the judge in this case, the stuff leading up to the boot was nothing criminal. Kicking her the way it happened is a no-no for sure. Any time you have situations like this, there are always matters of degree involved. It looks to me that the woman contributed to escalating the incident and that is a factor in my judgement. Kicking some stranger who has not said a word to you is different than someone who was getting in your face and calling you bad names.

Further, the argument that "he would've done so much worse if he wasn't held back" doesn't hold any water with me. You're only guilty of the crimes actually committed. There's no way to project something that didn't happen.

As far as the boot goes, it's really pretty minor. It would be very different if she was passed out and he tried to flatten her skull against the floor by leaping and putting his body weight down on her. What I saw was that he wanted to inflict some pain, but it didn't look to me like he was trying to put her in the hospital. I imagine she had a significant bruise out of it.

My sentence: Two weeks in jail.

Sending someone to jail is a big deal. The crime here was just not very significant. You can't kick people who are just sitting there, even if they did provoke you. That's wrong. But in the scale of crimes, it's pretty small. What happened here happens on playgrounds every day.

Now what the right thing was for the Chiefs to do... They probably did the right thing and hats off to them. What a great message to send to your team that you need to be 100% honest with us or you're gone, even if you're an all pro. How many teams would do that?

I see the points that some here would be interested in bringing him in. He's a very good player and it's possible that he would learn from his mistakes. But knowing that he has another incident that is being looked at and he had anger management baggage from college, I think I'd let some other team roll the dice with him. And for those reasons, I don't see Ryan Pace getting anywhere near him.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.