Fangio

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Some team will make an offer - Jacksonville, New York (either team), possibly Green Bay (worst possible outcome), but the trend is Sean McVay/Matt Nagy/Frank Reich/Doug Pederson -- offensive minds, primarily younger guys.
Bad Flanders
MVP

UOK wrote:Some team will make an offer - Jacksonville, New York (either team), possibly Green Bay (worst possible outcome), but the trend is Sean McVay/Matt Nagy/Frank Reich/Doug Pederson -- offensive minds, primarily younger guys.
And this year Fangio proved he can work with the young guys and allow them to run that show while he runs his.

Jags are being run by their own crotchety old man in Tom Coughlin. I don't think those two have any connection other than their obvious hatred of that "hippity hop they call music today" and a love of telling people to get off their front lawns. But if anyone would be okay with bringing in an old guy it would probably be Coughlin.

And if Fangio is interested in an HC gig at all, I'm sure he knows he could do worse than the stacked deck on the defensive side of the ball in Jax.

But he'd be smarter to go somewhere with a working offense and trying to shore up a dysfunctional defense. Like what Dungy did in Indy.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ya know... I understand that business is business, but I kind of wonder if Fangio feels attached to this defensive unit. I mean he has been here for the tear-down and re-build into a top 5 defense... would he want to leave this job to coach the New York Jets?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Pagan
MVP

That being said... Fangio Absolutely WILL get more HC interviews this offseason.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Non ti preoccupare
Victorio, non lasci questa stanza, capito?

Gli offriremo un patto che non può rifiutare

Capisci ?

UOK
Site Admin

"Don Fangio, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your introductory press conference, and I hope your first coordinator will be a defensive coordinator. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty. "
Pagan
MVP

lol good stuff.

Damn.. Now that I think of it... there IS 1 team I could see hiring Vic Fangio for their HC.
Tampa Bay.

They've got nothing but passing offense.

This is a team in Dire need of some old school running game principals & would Love to have a scary good defense again.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

No way in the world do I see Fangio going to Green Bay as the HC. Yes, their D has been up and down (mostly down), but the problem is that they have a HOF QB who is running a relatively tired offense that doesn't get the most out of what that stud brings to the table. They want to get what they can out of HIM before he rides off into the sunset. And they're unlikely to achieve that if they hire a defensive guy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I love Fangio, but if he wants an HC job then let him go get one. I'd rather have him than not so maybe the Bears could make him the highest paid DC in the history of football to keep him.

That being said, with the personnel we have on defense and the quality of our offense what elite DC wouldn't want to come here?

Mike Nolan is out there....
MoFugger
Head Coach

If I were him I would definitely be one of the 70 people trying to get the Browns job.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I get that coordinators want to move on from their position to take the reigns of an organization. But Fangio is 60 years old. He is considered one of the best, if not THE best DC in the league. He can become famous for the defense that he puts together in Chicago, and win a SB at the same time. There has to be SOME value to accepting WHO you are and being the VERY best that you can be at that position. Not every coordinator in the league was meant to be a HC, and that's kind of where I view Fangio. He needs to realize what his shortcomings are, and make the most of what is already a GREAT situation. Do you want to be best at your position and win a SB, or do you want to be mediocre and flail around in head coaching hell.
Pagan
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I get that coordinators want to move on from their position to take the reigns of an organization. But Fangio is 60 years old. He is considered one of the best, if not THE best DC in the league. He can become famous for the defense that he puts together in Chicago, and win a SB at the same time. There has to be SOME value to accepting WHO you are and being the VERY best that you can be at that position. Not every coordinator in the league was meant to be a HC, and that's kind of where I view Fangio. He needs to realize what his shortcomings are, and make the most of what is already a GREAT situation. Do you want to be best at your position and win a SB, or do you want to be mediocre and flail around in head coaching hell.
I completely agree & hope this is the path that he chooses BWN!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it's funny how this is just going to be a conversation that gets rehashed every year until he finally retires. same talking points, same arguments, etc. Fangio isnt going anywhere, he's here until he retires from football or we fire him for some reason.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I would think Green Bay, Cleveland, Jets are all looking for an offensive guy. Jacksonville, Giants, Tampa could look for a guy like him. For either defensive help, or toughening up a team.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:it's funny how this is just going to be a conversation that gets rehashed every year until he finally retires. same talking points, same arguments, etc. Fangio isnt going anywhere, he's here until he retires from football or we fire him for some reason.
If McCaskey is smart. He'll hand Fangio a blank contract, and tell him to fill in the amount. Fangio needs to be the highest paid coordinator, and needs to stay with the Bears, as long as we have Khalil Mack.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:it's funny how this is just going to be a conversation that gets rehashed every year until he finally retires. same talking points, same arguments, etc. Fangio isnt going anywhere, he's here until he retires from football or we fire him for some reason.
If McCaskey is smart. He'll hand Fangio a blank contract, and tell him to fill in the amount. Fangio needs to be the highest paid coordinator, and needs to stay with the Bears, as long as we have Khalil Mack.
That's just silly. Good teams lose coordinators all the time. Really good ones overcome it. There are guys out there just as good that only need a chance to show it.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
That's just silly. Good teams lose coordinators all the time. Really good ones overcome it. There are guys out there just as good that only need a chance to show it.
there are also guys who have no business being a DC in this league who we wont know about until they get the chance.
i guess if i was worried about the mccaskey's ability top buy another few summer homes i'd be concerned about how much fangio makes too???
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

His defense can't even stop Eli Manning. He aint going nowhere as a head coach.
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:His defense can't even stop Eli Manning. He aint going nowhere as a head coach.
You misspelled Saquon Barkley.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Right, he also couldn't stop them from doing the same type of run over and over again.
EricTighe
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:His defense can't even stop Eli Manning. He aint going nowhere as a head coach.
Neither has Bill Belichick so should they fire him as well.
docc
Head Coach

There has NEVER been a coach..owner..player..that won all the games fans think they should..

NEVER..
It's football..
On any Sunday..
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
100% agreement. I hope this happens. Pay Vic, Nagy continues letting him have the autonomy to run his D as he likes and he has none of the headaches of being HC. Have fun with a stellar D he created, and win some championships instead of having to start at square #1 again somewhere else.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:
You misspelled Saquon Barkley.
HAHA! Dead on Wab.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Eli threw one TD in that game, and it was a one-yard pass. Our back-up QB had 110 more yards passing than Eli Manning did. We had two bad turnovers. We lost the TO battle by two. You want to point to something. Point to that. To say that our defense couldn't stop Eli Manning is just plain ignorant.
Pagan
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Eli threw one TD in that game, and it was a one-yard pass. Our back-up QB had 110 more yards passing than Eli Manning did. We had two bad turnovers. We lost the TO battle by two. You want to point to something. Point to that. To say that our defense couldn't stop Eli Manning is just plain ignorant.
We'll shit... now I've got to agree with BWN again.

.NOT because I'm anti~KOP either.

Its simply because he's making non~knee-jerk, well thought out rational posts.

Totally not personal.
Pagan
MVP

& just to reiterate...

I COMPLETELY understand in the moment/next day rage quitting/negative/drunk Bears opinion posts.

Same day/next day. Totally get it, people need to vent sometimes.

At some point though.. I also totally expect the BFO Bears fans to be able to access & peoperly use their reasoning portions of their noodle to change their temporary insanity~ rage quitting~ doom & gloom mindset & join the rest of us who are absolutely pumped about where this team is this year & more importantly... where they're going to CONTINUE to be for the next 5+ years!