REALLY glad we picked Nagy over Flip

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I remember last year during the HC search, a lot of us were all in on John DeFilippo. Based on his performance this year, we dodged a bullet. He is not doing a good job as the Vikes OC.

This story is a good example ... check out the comments section. Spot on and BRUTAL ...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ll-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Here is another. Although its Fansided (which tends to be dubious at best), it is very direct:
https://thevikingage.com/2018/12/03/sho ... defilippo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

I was team Shurmur... I'm glad that didn't happen.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I was team Shurmur... I'm glad that didn't happen.
Same here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Pagan
MVP

Now THIS is the proper use of hindsight!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

It seemed that there were two distinct camps during the coaching search. It was Shurmur or Nagy. I was a Nagy fan. I know there were a few other outliers, like Flip, McDaniels, etc. Flip was in the age range that I wanted, but I really liked Nagy, and his Andy Reid relationship.

I was reading through some of the Packer forums last night, and there were a lot of people who wanted Josh McDaniels as their next head coach. Oh please God let that happen...PLEASE!
G08
Hall of Famer

I was Flip or McDaniels... knew nothing about Nagy but man, I'm glad this dude is our coach.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

I think I was team Flip but can't remember if I flipped at the end. Couldn't be happier with Nagy right now though!

Well done Pace!

EDIT: I called play offs early it seems:
malk wrote:
Hematite wrote:Does anyone here believe that a coaching change and 1 more offseason/draft for Pace makes this team a viable playoff contender? I want to, I really do! But damn, we are the Bears!
We need some hits in free agency (that includes resigning our players) but sure. I thought we could have been this year so no reason to change with a year of good experience for Trubisky.

Not to bang the drum too much (that ship sailed a while back) but swap Glennon, Amukamara, Cooper, and Wheaton for Bouye and Jeffery and we would have been close this year.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I was honestly uncertain about Nagy as our HC because he had less than a season of being the play caller during live games. He has exceeded my hopes and quelled my worries. He is going through a learning curve as well, but I love his handling of the media and how he has protected Trubisky's development from the usual QB meat grinding machine that is the Chicago sports media, creativity in developing his offense around his players, and the passion and emotion he brings. I've bought in along with the players.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

I was kind of hoping for someone from a Ried tree, guy just knows how to mold coaches. Not sure if I was really on Nagy or not.

Wasn't really high or low on anyone after that other then McDaniel, saw what he did in Den, saw how fruitless the Bill coaching tree is and wanted nothing to do with him. Indy got what they deserved for even looking his way.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I was cool with Flip or Nagy.... I just wanted somebody young who would bring the offense out of the dark ages. I was leaning more towards Flip due to his leg up on experience. But Nagy has been better than I ever imagined.

Bullet. Dodged.
mohner1
Practice Squad

Wasn't really high or low on anyone after that other then McDaniel, saw what he did in Den, saw how fruitless the Bill coaching tree is and wanted nothing to do with him. Indy got what they deserved for even looking his way.
Ha! let GB have him!
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Source: #Vikings OC John DeFilippo has been fired.

Interesting... I don't get what's going on with the coaches in the north lol. But, now I'm even more glad we went with Nagy!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sometimes the "hot shot" guys just don't work out.
wab
Mod

Damn. I didn't see that coming.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Meanwhile Nagy has to be in the talks for coach of the year. Many had the Bears as another top 5 pick, and would be lucky to have 5-7 wins.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:Source: #Vikings OC John DeFilippo has been fired.

Interesting... I don't get what's going on with the coaches in the north lol. But, now I'm even more glad we went with Nagy!

wow ... I guess he is getting the lions share of the blame for Cousins not being great this year?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Wow. Some rumors out there that Flip was more concerned with his "next gig" rather than being focused on this one.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

O line coach died just prior to season. Line has performed terribly. Players thought they were the anointed ones and the entire team has a lack a character. Defillipo is just the sacrificial lamb.
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Wow. Some rumors out there that Flip was more concerned with his "next gig" rather than being focused on this one.
This takes me back to something that was written way back in January when the coaching carousel was spinning fast and furious. There was some interesting information reported about DeFilippo’s interview with the Bears -- specifically that he didn't come across as the rockstar that everyone was proclaiming. Here are the specific comments:

"John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions."

Source: https://dabearsblog.com/2018/some-bits- ... where-else" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again -- I'm glad we dodged that bullet.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Source: #Vikings OC John DeFilippo has been fired.

wow ... I guess he is getting the lions share of the blame for Cousins not being great this year?
That's kinda what I was thinking. It's tough to be an outstanding OC, when your $84M franchise QB sucks.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I was fine with either Nagy or Flip. I didn't like McDaniels, Schurmur, and Patricia. Surprised Flip's stock has fallen so much since then - Nagy seems to have been the best of the bunch based on early returns.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

I love this dude.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... ett-favre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not since Ditka I have I wanted to meet a Bears coach. I would love to sit and talk life with this guy over a few beers.
wab
Mod

He just has "it". I don't know how successful he will end up being over time, but it's clear he's made for this job.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

That was a great read wab. Thanks for posting it.
Z Bear
MVP

Otis' and Wab's 'last comments hit the nail on the head. You can tell Nagy is a leader of men and loves football. Lovie seemed to baby the players to get their respect, Ditka used to scare them, but Nagy seems to guilt them into being their best. He also has a personality and knows how to play up to the media (like Ditka). I honestly think this is the best coach we have had in a while. I know I am jumping to conclusions, it is just a gut feeling.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

My only thought was McDaniels was a tool and didn't want him anywhere near the bears if I remember correctly.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:My only thought was McDaniels was a tool and didn't want him anywhere near the bears if I remember correctly.
He was a tool. He ruined the Broncos, and stiffed the Colts. Now the Packer forums are clamoring for him to be their next HC. Which I HOPE TO GOD happens. Then McDaniels can ruin that franchise too. I'd love to get THE Belichick disciple in Green Bay. Seeing how not one of assistants has ever done jack shit in the league.
docc
Head Coach

All I can say..

is FUCK YEAH!!

We got a real coach..with a Brain and plan..and talent on the field..
FUCKING AMAZING..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I love this dude.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... ett-favre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's a U2 fan?

Somebody get that man a few AC/DC albums.

I'm so thankful he's the coach of this team. I wonder if he even realizes the impact he's had not just on that locker room but on the fanbase in such a short amount of time.