WEEK 13 // Bears lose to Giants 30-27

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I still feel this loss as a gut punch... it was your classic trap game and we fell for it.

Not sure we beat the Rams this Sunday Night, puts us at 8-5. I'll feel a lot better if the Vikings lose to Seattle on MNF.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:If I can can channel Mike North/Dan Jiggets for a moment ...

TAKE IT EASY!!!
:clap:

God damnit I miss Jiggs...

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I still feel this loss as a gut punch... it was your classic trap game and we fell for it.

Not sure we beat the Rams this Sunday Night, puts us at 8-5. I'll feel a lot better if the Vikings lose to Seattle on MNF.
I feel surprisingly ok about the matchup with the Rams at home (I'd feel better if I had my lucky Leno jersey).

I don't know why I'm not taking losses so hard this season. I think it's because win the Bears are bad and wins are few and far between the close losses crush me. With the Bears being pretty good and wins coming more often, I feel like I can shake off a bad game and look to the next week a little easier.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I still feel this loss as a gut punch... it was your classic trap game and we fell for it.

I feel surprisingly ok about the matchup with the Rams at home (I'd feel better if I had my lucky Leno jersey).

I don't know why I'm not taking losses so hard this season. I think it's because win the Bears are bad and wins are few and far between the close losses crush me. With the Bears being pretty good and wins coming more often, I feel like I can shake off a bad game and look to the next week a little easier.
I feel like the Bears will make a game of it. I think it will be close.

I'm not that upset about losses right now, because in July, I wasn't expecting much this season anyway. I'm amazed at where they are right now, and I am looking forward to the next few years. To me, whatever happens this year is a bonus.
G08
Hall of Famer

I get the 2015 Cubs reference and that we are a young -- and good -- team. Maybe I'm being selfish because we don't get seasons like this very often in our recent history... I want them to grab this fucking thing by the throat and dominate it. I don't want to lose to inferior teams (Chase Daniel playing or not) because it's things like this that inevitably would catch up to us and bite us in the ass (in the past).

I don't want to go into week 17 with the division on the line against the Vikings. Historically we shit the bed in those games.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I get the 2015 Cubs reference and that we are a young -- and good -- team. Maybe I'm being selfish because we don't get seasons like this very often in our recent history... I want them to grab this fucking thing by the throat and dominate it. I don't want to lose to inferior teams (Chase Daniel playing or not) because it's things like this that inevitably would catch up to us and bite us in the ass (in the past).

I don't want to go into week 17 with the division on the line against the Vikings. Historically we shit the bed in those games.
Dude. Take a deep breath. This is Nagy's first year as a HC. This is Trubisky's first year in Nagy's offense. This is the first year Trubisky has had to throw to Robinson, Gabriel and Miller. This is the first year of Mack and Smith in Fangio's defense. All of the above mentioned players will be here for AT LEAST the next three years.

Trust me. Next year is going to be awesome. This year is gravy. It's fun. We weren't supposed to win the NFC North. But it's probably going to happen. Enjoy the ride.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Chase's bad play lost the game but I think it should be expected that a backup QB is gonna be bad sometimes. What's frustrating is that the oline and recievers didn't step up their game to compensate. We have alot invested in ARob, Gabriel, Miller, and Burton and those guys sucked. The oline is missing Long and Daniels is a rookie, but I still expected them to help more than they did. The RBs were great, and Nagy had a couple of good play calls. Otherwise it was a bad performance by the offense. The Defense didn't play great either but this felt like a loss from the offense.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:I get the 2015 Cubs reference and that we are a young -- and good -- team. Maybe I'm being selfish because we don't get seasons like this very often in our recent history... I want them to grab this fucking thing by the throat and dominate it. I don't want to lose to inferior teams (Chase Daniel playing or not) because it's things like this that inevitably would catch up to us and bite us in the ass (in the past).

Dude. Take a deep breath. This is Nagy's first year as a HC. This is Trubisky's first year in Nagy's offense. This is the first year Trubisky has had to throw to Robinson, Gabriel and Miller. This is the first year of Mack and Smith in Fangio's defense. All of the above mentioned players will be here for AT LEAST the next three years.

Trust me. Next year is going to be awesome. This year is gravy. It's fun. We weren't supposed to win the NFC North. But it's probably going to happen. Enjoy the ride.
I get it but just to play Devil's Advocate, Sean McVay's Rams went 11-5 and to the playoffs in his first season and that offense was ranked #1 in the league... why can't we do or expect that? I understand losing to better teams, but some of our losses have come against clearly inferior opponents (Packers, Dolphins, Giants).

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I get it but just to play Devil's Advocate, Sean McVay's Rams went 11-5 and to the playoffs in his first season and that offense was ranked #1 in the league... why can't we do or expect that? I understand losing to better teams, but some of our losses have come against clearly inferior opponents (Packers, Dolphins, Giants).
I'm don't really care about being #1 on offence when we've clearly put a lot of resources into the defence. We're above average right now and could be (or could have been) top 10 with Trubisky.

What I am really bothered about is making the playoffs, it's absolutely essential for pretty much everyone on the team to get that experience and begin to learn how to deal with the pressure during elimination games. Even before the Mack trade I wanted us to get to the playoffs and win one. Getting to the playoffs was the minimum, winning one what I expected and anything more than that is sweet sweet bonus land.

We're in a three or four year window until the cap really starts making us make tough roster choices. We need a burner year for experience and then will have two or three attempts in this window, we can't be wasting years "rebuilding" with a very good team.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

If Trubisky returns and the Bears smoke the Rams at home, this game won't matter a single fucking bit.
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:If Trubisky returns and the Bears smoke the Rams at home, this game won't matter a single fucking bit.
And we run off 4 for my 12-4 prediction to come true, I BELIEVE!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I get it but just to play Devil's Advocate, Sean McVay's Rams went 11-5 and to the playoffs in his first season and that offense was ranked #1 in the league... why can't we do or expect that?
Because the Rams had a better running game and a better offensive line last year than the Bears have this year.

Also... what's to say the Bears don't finish 11-5 and go to the playoffs?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I get it but just to play Devil's Advocate, Sean McVay's Rams went 11-5 and to the playoffs in his first season and that offense was ranked #1 in the league... why can't we do or expect that?
Because the Rams had a better running game and a better offensive line last year than the Bears have this year.

Fair... but you don't lose to the Packers/Dolphins/Giants en route to an 11-5 record, ya know? Gotta beat the lesser teams (I get that the NFL is any given Sunday, though).

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Fair... but you don't lose to the Packers/Dolphins/Giants en route to an 11-5 record, ya know? Gotta beat the lesser teams (I get that the NFL is any given Sunday, though).
If the Bears go 11-5, win the division, and go to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade...I promise you I'm not going to bemoan those 5 losses...no matter who they lost to.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If someone would've said that after the Patriots game, we'd win 5 outta 6, wouldn't we have been satisfied with that?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

If the Bears go 11-5, win the division, and go to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade...I promise you I'm not going to bemoan those 5 losses...no matter who they lost to.
Fellas -- If the Bears go 9-7 and make the playoffs, I'll be happy!

For what its worth, we talk about this team being like the 2015 Cubs and that's a good analogy. My personal comparison is to the 1984 Bears. That year, they finished 10-6.

It was their second season under Ditka and they made the playoffs and actually won their first game against Washington. They lost the next game against San Francisco but they came away saying "Hey -- we have the makings of something REALLY special here!" The next year was '85 and we all know how that turned out.

That's where I feel this team is now --on the cusp of something really special but it will take a minute or two to jell.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

You know me man, it's playoffs or draft slot... that's what I'm rooting for around this time of the year. Of course I want playoffs and I'm of the opinion losing a game like yesterday's makes it harder for us to make the playoffs.

Of course, if we turn around kick beat the Rams on SNF, all of this is moot.

MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

you know, over the last four games prior to yesterday, the Giants were two and two and scoring an average of 31 points per game. they have Pro Bowl players, super Bowl winners, and probably the rookie of the year on that roster.

I'm not saying they aren't the lesser team, but we didn't just get beat by the '71 Bills.
meanwhile, we took them to overtime with a quarterback that only a mother could love.
Pagan
MVP

Otis Day wrote:Couple things:

1) I think it is funny when people are saying that the Detroit gave the Rams a game, the Rams didn't look good against the Lions.......The Lions played the Bears tough. The Bears just got beat by an 3-8 team. Shit changes every Sunday.

2) You can't protect a young "franchise" QB forever. If he is nicked next year and the Bears are in the same situation, is he going to sit out? When does it stop.

Bears didn't lose any ground today, thank goodness. If the Vikes would have won we would probably be sweating a little more right now.

If he could have played, he should have, my opinion.
Otis.. you DO realize that it's the young QB's throwing shoulder that's "nicked up"....right?

Cuz if you ask me.?
It stops at at throwing shoulders & knee ligaments for a QB.
Especially a young QB with a bright future ahead of him.
Full stop my friend.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Everyone with the optimism that this is the 2015 cubs... You don't know that the rare injury luck of this season is going to continue. It needs to happen this year. There is no damn next year! Not until next year. A couple of bad preseason games and we could have Mizzell starting at RB, a re-signed Matt Barkley at QB, and that god-aweful receiver situation of last season.
Pagan
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:Everyone with the optimism that this is the 2015 cubs... You don't know that the rare injury luck of this season is going to continue. It needs to happen this year. There is no damn next year! Not until next year. A couple of bad preseason games and we could have Mizzell starting at RB, a re-signed Matt Barkley at QB, and that god-aweful receiver situation of last season.
Of Course injuries are a part of football & they can & do change the out one of seasons.. but good lord dude.

Seriously, why does every post have to be worst case scenario?

What's the point?
Umbali
MVP

Some people just wanna yell the sky is falling. We have exceeded expectations so far and no indication that we will stop. At some point the season will be over and anything without a SB title will suck, but did anyone really expect that? I am loving this year, and am bummed that we gave some games away, but this is the NFL, that shit happens weekly.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

Next up..Rams
I want to eat their children...
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:Everyone with the optimism that this is the 2015 cubs... You don't know that the rare injury luck of this season is going to continue. It needs to happen this year. There is no damn next year! Not until next year. A couple of bad preseason games and we could have Mizzell starting at RB, a re-signed Matt Barkley at QB, and that god-aweful receiver situation of last season.
Of Course injuries are a part of football & they can & do change the out one of seasons.. but good lord dude.

Seriously, you dies every post have to be worst case scenario?

What's the point?
The point is carpe fucking diem.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

We're gonna do this. The Packers, 49ers and Vikings are fucked against us. We're gonna make the playoffs even if we lose to the Vikings.

Biscuit comes back on Sunday against the Rams in Soldier's Field. If (fuck it....When) he goes out there and lights them up and we win that game, a statue of The Swagtastic One needs to get put up out front of that stadium right quick.

This team has a golden opportunity for glory. Just imagine them winning that game against the Rams. Picture it. This town will lose its mind. I think they're pissed and hungry and Nagy will have them prepared.

Then next week its (Fuck The) Packers and we're gonna beat them too.
malk
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Fellas -- If the Bears go 9-7 and make the playoffs, I'll be happy!

For what its worth, we talk about this team being like the 2015 Cubs and that's a good analogy. My personal comparison is to the 1984 Bears. That year, they finished 10-6.

It was their second season under Ditka and they made the playoffs and actually won their first game against Washington. They lost the next game against San Francisco but they came away saying "Hey -- we have the makings of something REALLY special here!" The next year was '85 and we all know how that turned out.

That's where I feel this team is now --on the cusp of something really special but it will take a minute or two to jell.
YES! This year we get to the playoffs, win in the wild card round and push hard in the divisional round. You know, I might actually prefer to not get a 1st round bye just so we have a better chance of experiencing winning a playoff game...

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Look the bears have a good record. They will likely make the playoffs. They haven't passed the eye test all year. Luckily the NFL isn't good this year.

Maybe my eyes are wrong.
wab
Mod

Bears fans absolutely, 100% have no idea how to handle success. I understand why, but man it takes the fun right out of winning.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

We're gonna do this. The Packers, 49ers and Vikings are fucked against us. We're gonna make the playoffs even if we lose to the Vikings.

Biscuit comes back on Sunday against the Rams in Soldier's Field. If (fuck it....When) he goes out there and lights them up and we win that game, a statue of The Swagtastic One needs to get put up out front of that stadium right quick.

This team has a golden opportunity for glory. Just imagine them winning that game against the Rams. Picture it. This town will lose its mind. I think they're pissed and hungry and Nagy will have them prepared.

Then next week its (Fuck The) Packers and we're gonna beat them too.
All the likes..... I miss feeling this unbridled confidence!

skamanfrank
Journeyman

mmmc_35 wrote:Look the bears have a good record. They will likely make the playoffs. They haven't passed the eye test all year. Luckily the NFL isn't good this year.

Maybe my eyes are wrong.
This. Right. Here.
I love Trubisky... I think he's going to be great. But the O, in particular, hasn't consistently passed the eye test all year.