WEEK 14 // Bears defeat Rams 15-6

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

mohner1 wrote:I might be the only one that think Mitch is going to come out flat.

I’m right there with you. I don’t see how he can come out hot after a 2 week vacation. Maybe they get him into a rhythm with the short passing game? Bubbles and screens could be what’s drawn up for the first few drives.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
sloramfan
Rookie

hey bears fans..

i had a little trouble registering... listed ditka as the last SB coach(totally forgot about our old DC lovie..lol)..

as far as the game, the rams are 5-1 against possible playoff bound teams, but this one has playoff atmosphere written all over it..

im obviously hoping for a nice relaxing ram blowout, but i have a feeling this will be another playoff caliber team nailbiter, with the expectation of a later showdown..

no final score for me, however, i think if the rams win, they win by 4.. and our usual late game heroics by someone,saves the day..

go rams

slo
Knuckles
Player of the Month

As much as I want the Bears to win this game with Mitch coming back from 2 weeks off I just don't see them being able to keep up with the Rams. I hope they prove me wrong.

Bears < 27 vs 34 > Rams
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
mohner1
Practice Squad

mohner1 wrote:
I might be the only one that think Mitch is going to come out flat.

I’m right there with you. I don’t see how he can come out hot after a 2 week vacation. Maybe they get him into a rhythm with the short passing game? Bubbles and screens could be what’s drawn up for the first few drives.
You know though, if they script a good chunk of plays for the 1st couple drives and it works, that could build some confidence and get him in a rhythm. Gotta limit Donald though those drives. I'm afraid if he starts getting pressure, Mitch is gonna be runnin.....
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

sloramfan wrote:hey bears fans..

i had a little trouble registering... listed ditka as the last SB coach(totally forgot about our old DC lovie..lol)..

as far as the game, the rams are 5-1 against possible playoff bound teams, but this one has playoff atmosphere written all over it..

im obviously hoping for a nice relaxing ram blowout, but i have a feeling this will be another playoff caliber team nailbiter, with the expectation of a later showdown..

no final score for me, however, i think if the rams win, they win by 4.. and our usual late game heroics by someone,saves the day..

go rams

slo
Hey slo. Thanks for popping in. We are a mixed bag around here. A lot of us think the Bears can win this game, and another half think that this will be a Rams win. One thing is for sure, I don't think the Rams have faced a defense as complete as the Bears. Maybe the Vikings, but they weren't playing that well when you faced them. The other thing in our favor is that Goff's passer rating is 30pts lower on the road. We'll see. It'll be a really good game, but I think the Bears lose this one at home by a TD. You guys have a hell of a team this year.

Go Bears.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I said in another post that we could beat the Rams. We're only 3-4 point dogs. We're at home and indications are that Biscuit will be back. There are even hints that he could've played last week, but was held out in order to be fresher against a higher quality opponent this week. Personally, when I've seen the Rams play, they're good, but don't seem to be quite as overwhelming as their record indicates. I will say that I think that Barkley going off on us--and us losing to the lowly Giants in general--is a wake up call, even though we're only now 3-3 on the road. (And 5-1 at home.) Their defense, even though they have some stars, just isn't that great statistically. And while Biscuit and our offense experiences significant down stretches against good defenses, it looks like there won't be much of that in this game. If we score on defense, we win this game.

But on the other side of the coin, the Rams are also 5-1... on the road. They're a lot like us on offense... young QB... deep WR corps... but then there's Gurley. Howard and Cohen are nice, but there's no arguing that Gurley is the better RB situation, particularly with Howard's production fall off this year. And Goff is a bit more polished than Trubisky. Our D is better than theirs, but with the exception of playing in the Mile High thin air they've wrecked every defense they've faced. And with the way our D has played in the 4th quarter and the end of halves, they are a daunting opponent.

This game looks like a track meet waiting to happen. For us to win, our defense will have to stop Gurley--and I think they'll do a good job on that front. But they'll also have to show a pass defense that is clearly better than any they've faced. That seems plausible, but the way we've played late in halves and during some odd stretches... raises a question. The pass rush absolutely must put fear into Goff's heart and lead to TO's. Winning the TO battle is a must. Biscuit also must come out hitting on all cylinders and avoid the perplexing head scratchers. But that's asking a lot.

I think we can win and won't be surprised if we do. But I don't trust our defense enough to stifle the Rams final possession in the last 2:00.

Rams 34
Bears 31

Edit... After a little research, I'm changing my prediction.

Goff is a noticeably different player on the road. He grew up around SF and now lives in LA. The Rams haven't played a game in anywhere close to cold weather this year. Nor have they had any cold weather practices, unless they've come to Chicago early. To play your first cold game this year in sub-freezing weather against the best defense you've seen all year is just a bad matchup for them. Bears will focus on stopping Gurley and make Goff beat them. He'll come close, but he'll yield enough TOs for us to walk away the victors.

Bears 31
Rams 27

How quickly the Giants game is forgotten.
Last edited by Mikefive on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:~Bears @ home vs the LA Rams!~

This is going to be an early Christmas gift/Playoff game!!!

In my last (Challenge riddled prediction game) the defense played VERY well but somehow did NOT have the pressure/Sacks that they should have against that suspect Giants Oline.

Everything works when this defense works the way its supposed to AND the offense scores a few points early.

Both of these things didn't happen & thus the result was the only possibke result.

This week I see these 2 problems being corrected due to Mitch being back & the Bears Defense treating this game
like a playoff game!

There's a GREAT chance that this game winds up being a blow out.

But for who?
.. Whom??

But..for which team???

The Rams have a "K. Mack" of their own in A. Donald & the Bears have a Whitman.. Who's been extremely streaky.

If the Bears do NOT have an answer for Donald the Rams are going to win this game by 14+ points in 2nd half points.

Mitch is back though... & he's extremely slippery in the pocket & very hard to catch.

If Donald has a bunch of pressures there's an equal chance that Mitch makes big throws downfield or picks up 1st downs on the run.

My Pagan Prediction:
Bears Defense=
This is going to be a WAY over hyped Donald/Mack game that settles the DPOY award argument.

An argument that Mack settles.
Mack: 3 Sacks, 1 (strip sack) FF, & tons of QB pressures
Jackson: Pick 6
Hicks: 2 Sacks 3 TFL & 1 play as a FB on a Goaline play :)
Callahan: 1 Sack, 1INT

This is a game (remarkably) that the refs ACTUALLY call holding calls against the opponents Oline!

Bears Offense=

Mich is Back!
3 Passing TD & 1 Rush TD
300/50

J.Howard: 22 carries 100+ yards
1 TD *(With Hicks (FB) leading the way!)*

Miller: 80 yards 1 TD
T. Cohen : 200 yards of total offense 1 TD
Shaheen: 1TD

Bears: 37

Rams: 20

Several Bears player's stay on the field for the fans (& media interviews)

City spend the next week going absolutely NUTS!
That writeup you did was awesome.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

On TNF Aikman just said that the league is looking to target holding along the OL. Does that mean that refs my finally start calling holds on Hicks and Mack? That would be nice.
GSH
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:On TNF Aikman just said that the league is looking to target holding along the OL. Does that mean that refs my finally start calling holds on Hicks and Mack? That would be nice.
the REAL reason Mccarthy quit green bay
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:On TNF Aikman just said that the league is looking to target holding along the OL. Does that mean that refs my finally start calling holds on Hicks and Mack? That would be nice.
:rofl: :thumbsup: No shit no lie man. That was the first thing I thought of.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
GSH wrote:
:rofl: :thumbsup: No shit no lie man. That was the first thing I thought of.

Goon Bay was able to routinely get away with blatant takedowns of defenders right in front of officials and no flags, which is not news to any of us but created a heated discussion with my Packer fan friend who is in denial of many things related to the puke and gold
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

almost forgot to post my prediction since I did the 4 game one in the other thread

Rams @ Bears : the return of Trubisky has the paid talking heads bleating about yet another prime time QB showdown, but the reality will be the exact opposite ... Bears defense still smarting from letting Barkley get the better of them in the second half of the Giants game make sure Gurley does not duplicate the effort ... on the other side, Aaron Donald will make the return of Trubisky an adventure in not getting creamed ... Bears get 2 defensive TD's and 5 field goals and hold off a furious Rams charge at the end for a 29 - 24 win

:toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Seems to be virtually confirmed: Trubisky to start Sunday night. Numerous reports from major sources.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears win! 28-27
Funkster
MVP

UOK wrote:Seems to be virtually confirmed: Trubisky to start Sunday night. Numerous reports from major sources.
It’s a miracle!

Cam Newton has been dealing with a throwing shoulder injury as well. This is what he said about it. “At the end of the day it is what it is,” Newton told reporters. “It’s about managing pain and understanding you have a job to do, a responsibility to put your best product out on the field, and I want to do that for myself and this team”.

I’m wondering if he’ll miss two weeks for precautionary reasons?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
BR0D1E86
MVP

Funkster wrote:
UOK wrote:Seems to be virtually confirmed: Trubisky to start Sunday night. Numerous reports from major sources.
It’s a miracle!

Cam Newton has been dealing with a throwing shoulder injury as well. This is what he said about it. “At the end of the day it is what it is,” Newton told reporters. “It’s about managing pain and understanding you have a job to do, a responsibility to put your best product out on the field, and I want to do that for myself and this team”.

I was surprised he sat against the Giants, but just because the two have shoulder injuries doesn’t mean anything.
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/ ... 77728?s=20

However Nagy said it was just a “rest day” and it wasn’t a big issue.
Funkster
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
It’s a miracle!

I was surprised he sat against the Giants, but just because the two have shoulder injuries doesn’t mean anything.
It does when reports said Trubisky would play if it was a Sunday or playoff game. I’m not knocking the kid because I think he would’ve played given the chance. I’m just not a fan of the overly precarious 2 week vacations that Nagy likes to give players that have boo boos.

I’m just glad we’ll get to see TRU this weekend. I’m hoping we never get to see Daniel again.
G08
Hall of Famer

They took the long-term, conservative approach with our franchise QB. I get it, I just hope it doesn't cost us the division or playoffs!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about this game at all. Fortunately the rules of this contest give us some "free weeks" so I'll take one here

Bears 34
Rams 27
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:They took the long-term, conservative approach with our franchise QB. I get it, I just hope it doesn't cost us the division or playoffs!
Exactly my concern. If they beat the giants (which I believe they would’ve with Tru) this week wouldn’t have be so crucial. Now they’re in a pivotal game against one of the best teams in the NFC with their starting QB not taking a game snap in 2 weeks.

I still think the bears can get it done. We’re going to need a Mack attack type game, strip sacks and fumble recoveries for TD’s. Someone is going to have to step up and be a game changer this week. Mack, Jackson, Cohen and Robinson could and should be some names to fit that bill.
G08
Hall of Famer

The coolest thing in the world would be for our defense to shut their offense the fuck down. We don't even need to dominate them, just knock them off their game. Offense does enough to get by with a 24-21 victory.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:The coolest thing in the world would be for our defense to shut their offense the fuck down. We don't even need to dominate them, just knock them off their game. Offense does enough to get by with a 24-21 victory.
There are going to be a lot of factors in our favor in order to knock them off stride;
-Soldier Field crowd (They are going to be AMPED UP).
-Cold weather. Receivers not quite as fast. Harder to grip the ball. Etc.
-Goff is already not as good on the road.
-The Rams have not faced a defense like the Bears yet. What happens when they get smacked in the mouth?

I am still predicting a narrow Bears loss, but it will certainly be a winnable game.
Funkster
MVP

Bears head coach Matt Nagy on Eddie Jackson shin issue: "Nothing major there at all.”

Code word for 2 week vacation :D
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Man this game has me buzzing my little man tits off. what a game, what a time to be alive.

So let’s look at the match ups ;

Mack v Whitworth... is this the best tackle (outside of Leno )that Mack has met this year? Yes, but this is the type of game we paid him all that coin for. For 60 minutes Mack MUST make whitworth his little bitch and have him on his ass the whole night

Whitzasack v Donald....no contest Donald wins it over our turn style RG ....I’m glad our QB has wheels

Daniels v Suh... This will be interesting to watch can Daniels lock suh down? Of course. Whatever suh had left in the tank he lost it in Miami.

Goff v Jackson. Normally we put QB v QB but why? They don’t see the field at the same time. So here it’s Goff v our stud Saftey..no contest Jackson every day of the week Goff won’t even see him half the time.

There are so many more intriguing one on one battles I could list. Man this game intrigues me .

Get to it bears

Bears 28
Rams 27
Have a great day
crikev2
Rookie

My gut says we have to get Jordan Howard going again like we did versus the Giants this time stick with him after the half, we need to use misdirection and let Jordan run hard. Mix in some play action getting the ball to our tight ends short quick hits to help nullify Donald (well at least try to). Then you drop in the deep ball to Gabriel now and then to keep them honest up front. The D needs to come out hitting hard and playing pissed off from the first snap hit them hard make them feel every hit more and more, like a heavyweight fighter throw body blows setting up the knock out punch.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:The coolest thing in the world would be for our defense to shut their offense the fuck down. We don't even need to dominate them, just knock them off their game. Offense does enough to get by with a 24-21 victory.
There are going to be a lot of factors in our favor in order to knock them off stride;
-Soldier Field crowd (They are going to be AMPED UP).
-Cold weather. Receivers not quite as fast. Harder to grip the ball. Etc.
-Goff is already not as good on the road.
-The Rams have not faced a defense like the Bears yet. What happens when they get smacked in the mouth?

I am still predicting a narrow Bears loss, but it will certainly be a winnable game.
Cold weather might be an even bigger issue, since they're from LA and unless their games at Denver or Seattle were unusually cold in the first half of October, they haven't played a cold weather game yet. Further, Jared Goff played college ball at Cal and basically lived near SF until he got drafted.

(Although quite coincidentally the same is true for Aaron Rodgers. :-x But he's had time to adjust.)

Update... Good news and bad news for the Rams...

Good news... The actually have played in a legit cold game this year when they went to Denver. It was around freezing that day, so I was wrong and they do have some experience in a legit cold game.
Bad news... They only scored 23 in that game, their season low by a clear margin.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ormazd
MVP

One way or another, we'll find out a lot about this team tonight.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I know they are the better team by record, and many metrics, but I think we match up well to be a team to hurt them. Our DBs should be able to hang with Cooks and Woods, Gurley is who scares me. If Fangio can break his norms and let someone be assigned to Gurley on every play it will help a lot. If he can be shut down or limited, then Goff can be had. We need the whole D line to play this like it was the NFC championship game, and we can do this. My $ says we will be playing them again in the playoffs, so I'd like to take this one to set the psych on both sides for that game.

How to stop Donald, I really don't know, so Nagy and Hiestand will have to execute an excellent scheme.

My biggest fear after Gurley is a rookie coaching error again versus a more seasoned coach. I mean that will all respect and faith in Nagy, it is somewhat to be expected, and we've seen it a few times. The pressure on him in this game as two "genius" coaches versus each other is huge.

Sean McVay is brilliant, his team has an extra year of continuity, timing, and confidence. They have best RB and Interior DLine in the game.

It will be tough, but we can win it.

I think one way we can do that is use more of two TE sets this week If Shaheen and Burton become lot more active in this game (successfully) I think we can get some good mis-matches and exploit them. We can also have extra blocker(s) if needed. They also will not have spent the majority of defensive prep on defending that formation.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I'll be flying for work, hopefully I'll be in the hotel by halftime. Hope the Bears keep it close and I can chat with you guys around half. Otherwise GO BEARS !