BREAKING -- Blackhawks fire Coach Q

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Wow! I'm stunned. The Blackhawks shit the bed last year, and are off to a slow start this year. But WOW. He won three Stanley Cups. But if you're going to pay Kane and Toews that much, you have to, as a coach, get more out of the surrounding pieces.

Wow!
UOK
Site Admin

Team had lost 5 straight, have been playing like shit generally all year, and they've needed a new voice. The promotion of Colliton is fine I suppose, but I can't help but feel gross that Bowman's just going to keep dragging this shit into the mud.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bowman attempting to save face. Q goes, Bowman needs to go. I do not like the firing of Q. Unsatisfied tell him at the end of last year. Tell him to walk so you dont have to fire him.

Wow, just wow.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Bowman attempting to save face. Q goes, Bowman needs to go. I do not like the firing of Q. Unsatisfied tell him at the end of last year. Tell him to walk so you dont have to fire him.

Wow, just wow.
It's so, so hard to defend Bowman. I was willing to give him more credit when he was forced to navigate the tricky financial waters and he was able to purse 2 more Stanley Cups before the bottom fell out. Problem was after that he was constantly undermining talent development.
  • C Brandon Pirri, 2nd rd 2009 - Blackhawks couldn't develop him while also being in their Cup window. Was traded for two draft picks that never panned out. Had some okay years for the Panthers.
  • LW Joakim Nordstrom, 3rd rd 2010 - Was in the roster mix for a spell but like so many other prospects was on a very short clock to impress before being dealt. Sent away with Versteeg to Carolina for a package of nobodies. Has become a steady NHLer for the Hurricanes and now the Bruins.
  • C Kevin Hayes, 1st rd 2010 - Promising talent who the Blackhawks had the rights to but went unsigned because of financial reasons. Embarrassing moment for Bowman's front office. Hayes has gone on to be a solid talent with the Rangers.
  • LW Brandon Saad, 2nd rd 2011 - Saad's development has completely tanked after a few really awesome years in the Blackhawks cup era. Columbus destroyed his confidence and then after coming back to the team has floundered to the point of being a healthy scratch.
  • C Teuvo Teravainen, 1st rd 2012 - Teuvo had so much promise and was one of the most hyped talents the Blackhawks had since Toews and Kane, and naturally he was dicked with for years, mostly thanks to Q's impatience, and ultimately packaged away to Carolina for a bucket of talent that will never be anything.
  • RW Ryan Hartman, 1st rd 2013 - Hartman grew up in Chicago and was dying to be a Blackhawk. Made an impact on the roster and worked a blue-collar game into an NHL presence but was never able to distinguish himself in his limited window. Since being dumped to the Predators he's become a valuable acquisition for that franchise and appears to have something of a bitter taste in his mouth over how the Blackhawks dealt with him.
This is not to mention the absolute 100% misses that Bowman's had in the top rounds: Mark McNeill, Phillip Danault, and Dylan Olsen.

This is also not to mention the total SHIT of trades and releases that have crippled the roster, losing out on guys who had skill in order to either salvage cap room, cup run rental, or hope to channel some nostalgia: Vinnie Hinostroza, Artemi Panarin, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Nick Leddy, Scott Darling, Andrew Shaw, Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, and Ben Smith, among others.

Those guys were dumped so that Patrick Sharp, Johnny Oduya, Artemi Anisimov, Kris Versteeg, and Andrew Ladd could peter out wearing a familiar uniform. They were dumped so that Bryan Bickell could get a "you helped us win a cup" contract that destroyed any remaining ability to be financially flexible.

I get it - Q was a major part of the problems this franchise had during their cup run, and deserves a fat chunk of blame for their lack of success and development, but Bowman needs to demonstrate that he can be patient for a change.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Blackhawks aren't very good right now, but they're less than 20 games in ... and firing Q at this point makes no sense to me

his resume says he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and his roster is not entirely of his making

so I don't get it and think this is some knee jerk bullshit

so I guess at game 30 is when they're going to simply pack it in? trade Kane and Toews and saying the season was lost? giving Kane and Toews the heave-ho would certainly open up some salary space, so if they're going to go batshit nuts may as well take it all the way

assholes
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Regarding Bowman I think it was the trading away, or letting go of Hjalmarsson, Smith, and Shaw that pissed me off. It was the mismanagement of Teravainen, and it was the endless picks that have not panned out. I don't think Bowman's very good, and in my opinion, he's going to continue to trash the talent level of the team.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Seabrook contract is crippling. I hate to say this, but I was all for trading away either Kane or Toews. I think giving them both the contracts they got, when Seabrook and Keith already had their contracts was a bad idea. I just don't think you can a 3x cup coach this early into a season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Coaching change has really helped, huh?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Coaching change has really helped, huh?

the problems with the team are not coaching problems ... Q should have been allowed to stay and try to work through things with his random lineup shuffles which had some magic to them in the past
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree. I was just being a smartass and acting like I was talking to Bowman.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I agree. I was just being a smartass and acting like I was talking to Bowman.

:rofl:

okie doke
George Carlin