McCarthy Fired in GB..

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
docc wrote:Erin and his $$$ and age..is untradeable..
35..downside..often injured now..

Puke wasted his career..
Better yet, they have no one sitting on the bench that is the next big thing. I also don't think they would draft another QB at this point, because Erin would throw a tantrum.
2022 is the first season Rodgers could be cut and even that is for a $11.5m dead cap hit. They may draft late round fliers before then but they'd be stupid to use any significant draft capital on a QB before 2010 at the earliest.

Not as stupid as the contract they've given Rodgers but still pretty stupid.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

They will never trade or cut Rodgers. The "shareholders" would lose their minds. This will be an Eli Manning situation that drags on for years. Just hoping to get the pieces together for just one more run that'll never come. Let them rot. I like the idea of humiliating them for the next half decade.
malk
Head Coach

Maybe but maybe Not For Long...

I'm not going to write off the Packers or Rodgers but if his 13.9% of the cap in 2019 and 16.3% in 2020 don't produce winning seasons he'll be on the hot seat going into 2021, probably with another Head Coach.

The Manning comparison is apt but it's worth remembering that despite playing only a touch over 0.500 ball, Manning has 2 rings to Rodgers' 1 and the Giants' last one was more recent.

The Packers really aren't in good shape. The roster needs an overhaul, they don't have piles of cap space and Rodgers is good enough to stop them getting really high draft picks. It's about as bad a situation as you can be in with an active HoF QB.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)