For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

listed as questionable against eagles:
https://twitter.com/BearsPR/status/1081758738481143808
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

How did he get hurt on his day off? Any chance Nagy is playing mind games?
GSH
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:How did he get hurt on his day off? Any chance Nagy is playing mind games?
groin too. probs tweaked it in the saturday dance-off :sick:
docc
Head Coach

A club dub injury !?
Bearfacts
MVP

I'm not gonna worry about it. If he's hobbled others have stepped up before. We have much better depth than any Bears team I've seen in recent memory.
GSH
MVP

Burton confirmed OUT for todays game. EJax is IN.

Shaheen time to shine.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

GSH wrote:Burton confirmed OUT for todays game. EJax is IN.

Shaheen time to shine.
Damnit
Umbali
MVP

I would be more concerned if Burton was a weekly force we relied on. He disappears a lot. Lets go Shaheen!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

Rumors abound that he has an anxiety disorder and that was what was affecting him. Sounds like horseshit internet talk but whatever. It’s out there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:Rumors abound that he has an anxiety disorder and that was what was affecting him. Sounds like horseshit internet talk but whatever. It’s out there.
highly doubtful.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

wab wrote:Rumors abound that he has an anxiety disorder and that was what was affecting him. Sounds like horseshit internet talk but whatever. It’s out there.
I'm not saying I believe it, but its not impossible. The "Philly special" play we ran vs the Giants was going to feature him, but it actually gave him so much anxiety during the week that they changed it to Cohen throwing the ball. If one play reminding him of his last season freaked him out that much, I could see it being slightly possible that going against his old team in the playoffs would get to him that much.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote:
I'm not saying I believe it, but its not impossible. The "Philly special" play we ran vs the Giants was going to feature him, but it actually gave him so much anxiety during the week that they changed it to Cohen throwing the ball. If one play reminding him of his last season freaked him out that much, I could see it being slightly possible that going against his old team in the playoffs would get to him that much.
I heard the same. Anything's possible, I guess.

It really hurt us not to have him. By them taking Cohen and the short stuff away, he would've really helped.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

"My history of my body, that's what it does. It locks up when it feels any threat. That's kind of what happened to me."

-Trey Burton

I don't know what gave his body so much courage last year over this year in the playoffs? Maybe because he was like the 3rd tight end on the Eagles?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

KOP_Snake wrote:"My history of my body, that's what it does. It locks up when it feels any threat. That's kind of what happened to me."

-Trey Burton

I don't know what gave his body so much courage last year over this year in the playoffs? Maybe because he was like the 3rd tight end on the Eagles?
That's not all the quotes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trey-burton-explains-injury-happened-194006701.html

He says it wasn't anything mental, and he has been very open on those issues.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

whatever the reason he was out, I think Burton not being on the field weakened the offense considerably
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:whatever the reason he was out, I think Burton not being on the field weakened the offense considerably
Collinsworth mentioned in passing that it really threw Nagy's gameplan off. I was hoping they'd expand on it, but it never came back up.

I think Burton being out was a reason the first half seemed so weird. Nagy really relies on 15-20 scripted plays and then adjusts based on how the opposing defense reacts to those plays. If Burton was a big part of the script, then it would explain why the flow seemed off.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I just don't get it. He's getting paid millions of dollars a year. I understand the mental stress and anxiety that probably goes along with being a professional football player. But manage that shit however you have to. Drugs, yoga, huge bag of weed. Whatever it takes. FFS. His team needed him, and he wasn't there.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I took the quote to mean that he had a minor groin injury on Friday, and his body "locked up" to protect the muscle from tearing. If we didn't have all this weird conversation around it, I think it's just a bad luck soft tissue injury that occurred during walkthroughs. It's certainly on him for not getting it treated right away but I don't think this should become another Jay Cutler Is Soft conversation that bleeds into next season.
xyt in the discord chats
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Think about it. Gameplan in, complete by Friday afternoon. Nagy informed Saturday morning that there is a groin situation with Burton, may not be able to go. He has to attempt to change up his gameplan with one day to spare. That had to fuck things up pretty royally.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Think about it. Gameplan in, complete by Friday afternoon. Nagy informed Saturday morning that there is a groin situation with Burton, may not be able to go. He has to attempt to change up his gameplan with one day to spare. That had to fuck things up pretty royally.

yep

and regardless of what you may think of Burton, none of the other TE's on the roster can capably fill his role for anything other than a down or 2 to give him a breather
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:Think about it. Gameplan in, complete by Friday afternoon. Nagy informed Saturday morning that there is a groin situation with Burton, may not be able to go. He has to attempt to change up his gameplan with one day to spare. That had to fuck things up pretty royally.
Just to prove out this point, look how involved Braunecker was in that first half.
sturf
Journeyman

You can tell just by how many times they ran the option including the pitch to the TE that Burton was heavily involved with the game plan and the scripted plays.