Trubisky’s Playoff Game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Turning away from the obvious doinked kick. I have some observations regarding Trubisky.

I thought he had a real solid 2nd half. It looked like he grew up a little more. Not sure if he stopped thinking and just started slinging it. But some of those boundary throws were world class passes. He moved in the pocket well, set his feet and shoulders, and was putting good pace on the ball. It was a huge positive to take away from the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

I thought he was great honestly. The game was not too big for him and I was really looking forward to seeing how he progressed in the playoffs.

I think he’s going to be really good for the Bears for quite a while.
docc
Head Coach

Agree..totally. I think we saw his coming of age.. Nagy certainly will open up plays for passing game..
Mitchell Trubisky
26 43 60.5 303 7.0 1 0 2 12 89.6

Good numbers against a stout defense.. First year in a complex system..that can now proceed..
I don't think this years Bears could compete with New Orleans YET..

Soon though..this youthful..talented team will be great to watch grow..
Last edited by docc on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Turning away from the obvious doinked kick. I have some observations regarding Trubisky.

I thought he had a real solid 2nd half. It looked like he grew up a little more. Not sure if he stopped thinking and just started slinging it. But some of those boundary throws were world class passes. He moved in the pocket well, set his feet and shoulders, and was putting good pace on the ball. It was a huge positive to take away from the game.

Agreed.

I think and hope Nagy learned a little too about both him and trubisky. Trubisky grew up a lot the second half of the season after he was fully back from injury. I have no qualms about putting the game in his hands at all. I wish Nagy had pulled the trigger much sooner on opening up the passing game, if he did I think we are looking at a much different result.

We can look at the 3 poorish throws, but how many bad/poor throws did foles have. He was intercepted twice and should have been at least twice more when the turf monster tripped fuller and a couple of those passes that were in the air for freaking ever and we were head hunting vs playing the ball. The risk was worth the reward as the eagles pulled off a couple of big plays and got PI called on a couple more.
Bearfacts
MVP

Trubisky will be a major factor in Bears wins for years to come.

The true test of any top passer is when the game is on the line with only seconds to go can you move the ball and put yourself and your team in a position to win. He did that. The final failure wasn't on him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

For me it was the 4th quarter. In a game, or a time, when someone like Cousins, or Bradford, or any number of other QB’s would show up small and crack under pressure. Trubisky made some of his best throws when the game was on the line. More than that, he made throws that he consistently missed high earlier in the season. It was very encouraging.

KOP_Snake
Head Coach

He had the exact same situation in week 1 vs GB. In that situation he couldn't drive into FG range. This time he made clutch throws and earned a win as much as Brady earned a lot of his Superbowl wins.
realred2
Practice Squad

He did a good job getting us in field goal range, but he also had a chance to win it out right and over threw a wide open reciever on the way to the end zone just before the missed kick. I think Mitch made good steps, I expect him to be better next year, and I expect the bears to be too.

This loss sucks, but at least I have Sunday's back now for few months.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

realred2 wrote:He did a good job getting us in field goal range, but he also had a chance to win it out right and over threw a wide open reciever on the way to the end zone just before the missed kick. I think Mitch made good steps, I expect him to be better next year, and I expect the bears to be too.

Pretty sure it was a planned overthrow to just eat clock
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

southdakbearfan wrote:
realred2 wrote:He did a good job getting us in field goal range, but he also had a chance to win it out right and over threw a wide open reciever on the way to the end zone just before the missed kick. I think Mitch made good steps, I expect him to be better next year, and I expect the bears to be too.

It may have been a put where only the receiver can catch it, or If he's wide open hit him otherwise throw it away long.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

He ended the year with his arrow pointing up. Hopefully he continues to progress and get better.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Biscuit played like a warrior out there and came through when things looked their worst.

In a playoff season where ZOMG DESHAUN WATSON and Lamar Jackson played poorly maybe people will get off of Biscuit's back about a practically rookie QB and the playoffs and accuracy issues and whatever.

We've got our franchise QB.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:

Yeah, that was a, "take a shot at the end zone, but don't put the ball in harm's way." The route wasn't there so he purposely overthrew the receiver.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Biscuit played like a warrior out there and came through when things looked their worst.

In a playoff season where ZOMG DESHAUN WATSON and Lamar Jackson played poorly maybe people will get off of Biscuit's back about a practically rookie QB and the playoffs and accuracy issues and whatever.

We've got our franchise QB.
Nagy needs to sit down with Mitch during the offseason, and walk through his mindset when he was making those throws in the 4th quarter. Because he needs to have that mindset moving forward. If I had my guess, it was a "I've got nothing to lose and our season is on the line. Don't worry what people are going to say about me and let the ball fly."

I believe that the QB that we saw on the last two drives, is who Mitch will be. Which is fantastic.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I don't really agree with the "he grew up a lot on Sunday" thinking. I don't think I saw a Trubisky who was any different from who we saw as the year wound down the last few games. He was decisive and threw the ball pretty well. But he occasionally threw the head scratcher and did struggle at times with progressions and figuring out what the Eagles were doing to him. He still has more to learn and room to grow.

The good news is that by being no different, he demonstrated that a playoff game is not too big for him. Indications are that he wasn't mentally affected AT ALL by it being a playoff game. Very good sign. And it's not like he had a bad game. It was pretty good actually against a very stout defense. As I see it, if any "growing up" happened, it was his realization that he can do his thing in a playoff atmosphere.

Next year should be fun as more lights come on for him.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He could not make the throw too catchable as the Bears had no timeouts. If caught in field of play, game would have been over. Had to get it to endzone. I was hoping for a PI.

He will get better.

As for Lamar Jackson, he is not an NFL QB, his name doesn't deserve to be mentioned with any NFL QB.
docc
Head Coach

Mitch showed a lot of what he is and will be. Some excellent throws, No picks, quality performance. Let him open up the offense and looks like good times ahead..
GO BEARS
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

For a young guy in his first playoff game Mitch showed me that he belongs on the big stage and the lights are not too bright for him. He showed growth all season, and it culminated there. He did what was needed to win, a kick got tipped and we lose. Bigest takeaways from that game is Nagy doesn't need to guide him through script like the begninig of the season and Bisky is beginning to enter the phase where he can take a game over and win. Next year might be mighty exciting on offense with Nagy's playbook growing, Bisky's command of it increasing, and the whole group of skill players and he getting better timing and trust. Whose the last QB we could say that of?

***crickets***

He has a lot of room to grow, but he evidences that he knows that and is committed to studying and practice. I have our franchise QB, and a guy we can win with.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:He could not make the throw too catchable as the Bears had no timeouts. If caught in field of play, game would have been over. Had to get it to endzone. I was hoping for a PI.

He will get better.

As for Lamar Jackson, he is not an NFL QB, his name doesn't deserve to be mentioned with any NFL QB.
In that situation, an interception (and a sack) must be avoided at all costs. So you throw it such that you know the defender can't get a hand on it. Whether your guy can catch it is down the priority list. It's just a feel thing. You're probably going to throw it long. But nobody's perfect. You just can't can't can't throw it short.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I think they should have kicked it on 3rd down given the amount of time left, but they had no timeouts and didn't have that decision ready to go with getting the kicking unit on the field, so they had to run a play with the personnel on the field, which happened to be a throw away.
Z Bear
MVP

They should of spiked it on 2nd and 2 to save clock and the TO, with 15 seconds left you were not really getting 2 full plays before a FG anyways. Run a play with 2 shots in the end zone and one check down, use TO if need be.

Whatver though... O got the ball in range, it was all on Doink.
malk
Head Coach

Really happy with the game, wasn't too big for him and that playoff experience is invaluable (oh for two games plus of it though!).

This all said, he needs to cut down on the interceptable balls. His TD % went up from 2.1% to 5.5%, part development and part being in an actual NFL offence. However, his INT% also went up to 2.8% from 2.1%. That needs to come down to under 2% or the overall TD to INT ratio needs to be 5:2 or better, i.e. he needs to throw 2.5 TDs for every interception, minimum and get it to 3:1 to be in there with the elite QBs. As a snapshot, if you sort by TD/INT this is the list of QBs:
NoPlayerTD/INTTD%Int%
1Aaron Rodgers*14.004.20.3
2Drew Brees*6.506.51
3Russell Wilson5.138.21.6
4Matt Ryan4.835.81.2
5Patrick Mahomes*4.108.62.1
6Carson Wentz3.065.21.7
7Kirk Cousins2.9451.7
8Deshaun Watson2.835.11.8
9Dak Prescott2.804.21.5
10Jared Goff*2.715.72.1
11Tom Brady*2.685.11.9
12Andrew Luck2.656.12.3
13Philip Rivers*2.636.32.4
14Ben Roethlisberger2.0852.4
15Joe Flacco2.003.21.6
16Alex Smith2.0031.5
17Mitchell Trubisky1.965.52.8
18Andy Dalton1.935.83
19Baker Mayfield1.935.62.9
20Matthew Stafford1.903.82
21Eli Manning1.893.61.9
22Derek Carr1.893.41.8
23Ryan Tannehill1.886.23.3
24Cam Newton1.825.12.8
25Ryan Fitzpatrick1.416.94.9
26Marcus Mariota1.383.32.4
27Jameis Winston1.3553.7
28Nick Mullens1.314.73.6
29Case Keenum1.193.12.6
30Blake Bortles1.193.22.7
31Sam Darnold1.144.13.6
32Josh Allen0.823.13.8
33Josh Rosen0.782.83.6

I'm not at all saying it's everything but that list doesn't look massively off to me. Now since this was Trubisky's first year playing in a proper NFL offence, and Nagy didn't have huge experience calling it (and Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton etc. were all new to the team) I see no reason why I can't expect to see a 2.5 ratio and hope for something like 6% TD and 2% interception.

If that happens, next year will be really exciting.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Trubisky's arrow is pointing up - I don't care what Colin Cowherd, Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe or LaDainian Tomlinson, etc. say about him. He's growing, he's got the potential to be a pretty good QB in this league - maybe top 10 or top 5 one day IMO. If he refines his skills within the offense and stays consistent, he's got the talent to have a great career, IMO.

I have confidence in Matt Nagy to get Mitch to that point. One thing about Mitch is that that he has the desire to be great. He said after the game that this will make him hungrier to be better in the offseason and that he's just scratching the surface.

Is he Pat Mahomes? No. But Mitch is definitely no slouch.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

malk wrote:Really happy with the game, wasn't too big for him and that playoff experience is invaluable (oh for two games plus of it though!).

This all said, he needs to cut down on the interceptable balls. His TD % went up from 2.1% to 5.5%, part development and part being in an actual NFL offence. However, his INT% also went up to 2.8% from 2.1%. That needs to come down to under 2% or the overall TD to INT ratio needs to be 5:2 or better, i.e. he needs to throw 2.5 TDs for every interception, minimum and get it to 3:1 to be in there with the elite QBs. As a snapshot, if you sort by TD/INT this is the list of QBs:
NoPlayerTD/INTTD%Int%
1Aaron Rodgers*14.004.20.3
2Drew Brees*6.506.51
3Russell Wilson5.138.21.6
4Matt Ryan4.835.81.2
5Patrick Mahomes*4.108.62.1
6Carson Wentz3.065.21.7
7Kirk Cousins2.9451.7
8Deshaun Watson2.835.11.8
9Dak Prescott2.804.21.5
10Jared Goff*2.715.72.1
11Tom Brady*2.685.11.9
12Andrew Luck2.656.12.3
13Philip Rivers*2.636.32.4
14Ben Roethlisberger2.0852.4
15Joe Flacco2.003.21.6
16Alex Smith2.0031.5
17Mitchell Trubisky1.965.52.8
18Andy Dalton1.935.83
19Baker Mayfield1.935.62.9
20Matthew Stafford1.903.82
21Eli Manning1.893.61.9
22Derek Carr1.893.41.8
23Ryan Tannehill1.886.23.3
24Cam Newton1.825.12.8
25Ryan Fitzpatrick1.416.94.9
26Marcus Mariota1.383.32.4
27Jameis Winston1.3553.7
28Nick Mullens1.314.73.6
29Case Keenum1.193.12.6
30Blake Bortles1.193.22.7
31Sam Darnold1.144.13.6
32Josh Allen0.823.13.8
33Josh Rosen0.782.83.6

I'm not at all saying it's everything but that list doesn't look massively off to me. Now since this was Trubisky's first year playing in a proper NFL offence, and Nagy didn't have huge experience calling it (and Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton etc. were all new to the team) I see no reason why I can't expect to see a 2.5 ratio and hope for something like 6% TD and 2% interception.

If that happens, next year will be really exciting.
Totally agree. That is something he needs to work on and I think it comes with more experience in the same offense and scheme.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Mitch soundly outplayed media darling Nick Foles. But it's the Bears, and the pregame guys will always hesitate to give a Bears QB any credit.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He could just throw balls nowhere near anyone like rogers did all season.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

You can throw the whole season out the window on Mitch. Who he was last year, is not who he is going to be in 2019. He is going to have a whole offseason with Nagy and Hellfrich. Nagy is going to dig deep into the mind of Trubisky, and find out what his mindset was in the 4th quarter of the Wild Card game, because that was pretty damn heroic. And honestly, I think it is all mental for mitch right now.

In the 4th quarter of the Eagles game, Mitch stopped thinking, and tried to win. He stopped worrying about throwing interceptions, and started letting the ball go without hesitation. It wasn't a instant mindset change, he was a prisoner of the moment. But the QB that we saw in the last 10:00 min of the game is who Mitch is, and I am confident that Nagy can get him there full time.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Trubisky's playoff game can be distilled into that final drive

no time outs and the Bears had to gain about 30 yards against a defense that knew he had to throw ... he couldn't afford costly mistakes ... and he stepped up and got the job done

I thought he had a very good game ... yeah, it would have been nice if they could have gotten TD's instead of FG's but the Philly defense was not making things easy

a throwback defense oriented game that came down to a final play on a final drive ... and Trubisky did his part on that drive
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:Trubisky's playoff game can be distilled into that final drive

no time outs and the Bears had to gain about 30 yards against a defense that knew he had to throw ... he couldn't afford costly mistakes ... and he stepped up and got the job done

I thought he had a very good game ... yeah, it would have been nice if they could have gotten TD's instead of FG's but the Philly defense was not making things easy

a throwback defense oriented game that came down to a final play on a final drive ... and Trubisky did his part on that drive
I think he did a great job considering Trey Burton fucked Nagy's gameplan.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:Trubisky's playoff game can be distilled into that final drive

I think he did a great job considering Trey Burton fucked Nagy's gameplan.
Y-Iso is one of Nagy's favorite play designs and he uses it to free up Cohen, I am 100% confident Burton missing the game fucked us.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS