Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

I hate the contract and don't like kickers that struggle for distance but when looking at individual season FG% it's important to remember that each kick accounts for about 3 percentage points so if 2 of the 4 regular season upright hits sneak over he's at 83% and we're not having this conversation.

Now I think it'll be tough to come back from this mentally but if he shows promise there, he's a year removed from a 90%+ season and will be given a chance to revert back to his mean.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
WP.1
Player of the Month

wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skamanfrank
Journeyman

wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any change you could copy and paste the text please? GDPR rules mean we can see that in Europe.
wab
Mod

skamanfrank wrote:
wab wrote:

It's a good point.
Any change you could copy and paste the text please? GDPR rules mean we can see that in Europe.
ARKUSH: What's that old "Naked City" intro, Bob? There are eight million stories in the City of New York and this has been one of them? There will be eight million stories about the 2018 Chicago Bears in the coming days, weeks and months, and the first thousand or two will all be about Cody Parkey. Parkey is not THE reason the Bears lost their wild-card game to the Eagles, but he obviously blew his chance to be the hero. Once Bears fanatics, I mean fans, get over their disappointment and outrage, we should hope they would grasp that very important distinction. The Bears do still have a critical decision to make on Parkey, though. Forget his contract, the uprights and the fact he deserves better than the way Bears fans have treated him so far. Is there any way the Bears can bring Parkey back knowing the distractions and added pressures it will put on his teammates with his mere presence?

LEGERE: My best guess right now is, “No way.” No kicker in the NFL missed more FG tries than Parkey, who was 23-for-30 during the regular season. Four other kickers missed seven times; two had better percentages than Parkey and two were worse. However, the Bears are already into the 26-year-old Parkey for $5.5 million, and his $3.5 million base next year is fully guaranteed. That’s a lot of loot to pay someone for one year. The league is full of kickers who washed out on one team and then had successful careers elsewhere, and Parkey could be one of them. But the Bears are his fourth team in five years, which isn’t a good sign. The bottom line for the Bears is this: Was Parkey’s off year (76.7 on FG attempts) in 2018, just that, one bad season? Or is his 86.4 percent accuracy rate over the previous four seasons more indicative of the kind of kicker he is?

ARKUSH: You know, Bob, I get all you're saying, and they're all sound football points, but I'm just not sure that is what this will come down to. There is every reason to suggest Parkey will come back and have a good year kicking the football somewhere, but the Bears could be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Which will be the lesser risk? If you cut Parkey, what kind of message does it send to the players in the locker room after you built your culture around the brotherhood of players -- until they miss a big kick? But how much extra pressure are you putting on every player every time Parkey goes out to kick, with each guy waiting for him to miss again? It seems the right football move is to move on from him regardless of whether you think he can be a good kicker again or not.

LEGERE: Hub, maybe I’m just too nice of a guy, something I’ve rarely been accused of, but I think the Bears should bring in competition and let Parkey try to hang on to his job. If he can withstand that kind of pressure, then I think he’s worth a second chance. That would give him the chance to demonstrate the kind of mental toughness he’s going to need if he remains in Chicago. Your point about the culture Nagy has built is well taken. He frequently refers to the team as a family, and you don’t boot someone out of a family because they’re going through a rough time. It was actually Lovie Smith who said that, back in 2006, the last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl. His kicker that year was Robbie Gould, who hit 32 of 36 FG attempts (88.9 percent).
Richie
MVP

docc wrote:CODY PARKEY ATTEMPTS SUICIDE AFTER MISSING GAME WINNING FIELD COAL

Tuesday 1/8/2019 3:12 pm
AP news
Sportsline

Cody Parkey, place kicker for the Chicago Bears was found alive after an apparent suicide attempt in his north suburban home. Mr Parkey was found standing on a chair with rope still fastened around his neck. Apparently Mr Parkey attempted to kick the chair from under him but missed the center of the chair and his foot bounced off the arm of the chair leaving Mr Parkey stuck between chair and a nearby table, unhurt.
Mr Parkey was unavailable for comment.
Wait... what?

Clearly this didn't happen - so I am assuming it's a joke?
G08
Hall of Famer

I listened to Stacey Dales detail what she saw in the stadium and once Parkey missed that kick, she said NUMEROUS Bears players threw their helmets on the ground or at the bench. Other players were up in arms, Tarik Cohen burst into tears.

Trust me, I'm sure he's their brother but they will understand Pace owes it to the team to have the best available talent. Cody Parkey is not it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

if you haven't seen the movie, you probably won't get this

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?

it was fucked up for many reasons ... that didn't make it a bad movie, just not a must see

and it never explained wtf the whole deal was about
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?
It's a good way to kill a couple hours but it's not life changing by any means.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Have not heard enough to make me want to watch. Plus the previews turned me off anyway, didn't hook me at all.
G08
Hall of Famer

Guess who is doing a one-on-one interview on the Today Show?

CODY PARKEY!!!

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
skamanfrank wrote:
wab wrote:

It's a good point.
ARKUSH: What's that old "Naked City" intro, Bob? There are eight million stories in the City of New York and this has been one of them? There will be eight million stories about the 2018 Chicago Bears in the coming days, weeks and months, and the first thousand or two will all be about Cody Parkey. Parkey is not THE reason the Bears lost their wild-card game to the Eagles, but he obviously blew his chance to be the hero. Once Bears fanatics, I mean fans, get over their disappointment and outrage, we should hope they would grasp that very important distinction. The Bears do still have a critical decision to make on Parkey, though. Forget his contract, the uprights and the fact he deserves better than the way Bears fans have treated him so far. Is there any way the Bears can bring Parkey back knowing the distractions and added pressures it will put on his teammates with his mere presence?

LEGERE: My best guess right now is, “No way.” No kicker in the NFL missed more FG tries than Parkey, who was 23-for-30 during the regular season. Four other kickers missed seven times; two had better percentages than Parkey and two were worse. However, the Bears are already into the 26-year-old Parkey for $5.5 million, and his $3.5 million base next year is fully guaranteed. That’s a lot of loot to pay someone for one year. The league is full of kickers who washed out on one team and then had successful careers elsewhere, and Parkey could be one of them. But the Bears are his fourth team in five years, which isn’t a good sign. The bottom line for the Bears is this: Was Parkey’s off year (76.7 on FG attempts) in 2018, just that, one bad season? Or is his 86.4 percent accuracy rate over the previous four seasons more indicative of the kind of kicker he is?

ARKUSH: You know, Bob, I get all you're saying, and they're all sound football points, but I'm just not sure that is what this will come down to. There is every reason to suggest Parkey will come back and have a good year kicking the football somewhere, but the Bears could be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Which will be the lesser risk? If you cut Parkey, what kind of message does it send to the players in the locker room after you built your culture around the brotherhood of players -- until they miss a big kick? But how much extra pressure are you putting on every player every time Parkey goes out to kick, with each guy waiting for him to miss again? It seems the right football move is to move on from him regardless of whether you think he can be a good kicker again or not.

LEGERE: Hub, maybe I’m just too nice of a guy, something I’ve rarely been accused of, but I think the Bears should bring in competition and let Parkey try to hang on to his job. If he can withstand that kind of pressure, then I think he’s worth a second chance. That would give him the chance to demonstrate the kind of mental toughness he’s going to need if he remains in Chicago. Your point about the culture Nagy has built is well taken. He frequently refers to the team as a family, and you don’t boot someone out of a family because they’re going through a rough time. It was actually Lovie Smith who said that, back in 2006, the last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl. His kicker that year was Robbie Gould, who hit 32 of 36 FG attempts (88.9 percent).
How does this affect the culture??? We need to slow down the train a little bit here. Football is a performance business and Parkey didn't perform. That's a fact. Besides, players aren't privy to player discussions between coaches and the GM and player acquisition is in Ryan Pace's court. So we can play the good cop (Nagy) bad cop (Pace) game and keep that out of the locker room.

Hell, how will it affect the culture when we don't bring back one or more of Amos, Callahan or Massie who DID perform? Players understand that it's a performance based business. And while I'm not sure the Bears will cut Parkey loose, I sure don't think it will be any kind of culture poison pill if they do. If that were the case, our "culture" isn't strong enough to get anywhere close to winning a championship if it can't accept dumping a player that didn't perform. Good grief. :gravel:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy: "BE OBSESSED!"

Cody Parkey: "Football is what I do, it's not who I am."

BR0D1E86
MVP

He seems like a nice guy. I don’t honestly give a rip about that, but he does.

We need two kickers in to challenge him in camp. Probably a rookie and a retread. Open competition. I’d be shocked if he didn’t lose.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don’t see them bringing in anyone until he starts having issues with the guaranteed money he is getting.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:I don’t see them bringing in anyone until he starts having issues with the guaranteed money he is getting.
So about the Detroit game a few months ago then?

If there’s not at least a kicking competition.... I won’t do anything, but be damn sure I’ll bitch on this message board.
G08
Hall of Famer

Reading the tea leaves from this presser... sounds like Parkey may be a goner. GOOD.

BR0D1E86
MVP

This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
wab
Mod

Nagy was clearly not thrilled. It's a lot of money to eat for a kicker, especially when you don't know if there's going to be a substantial improvement. But I think from a culture standpoint, you almost have to do send him on his way.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

I think "as harsh of a comment as I ever expect" is pushing it. Nevertheless, as positive a guy as Nagy is, that comment (which I just viewed as I watch their presser) along with the corresponding body language... The odds of the team eating the cap $$$ and moving on from Parkey just went up significantly.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

I think "as harsh of a comment as I ever expect" is pushing it. Nevertheless, as positive a guy as Nagy is, that comment (which I just viewed as I watch their presser) along with the corresponding body language... The odds of the team eating the cap $$$ and moving on from Parkey just went up significantly.
I’ve never seen him with public corrections of players, so I should say as publicly harsh. I’m sure in private he’s as direct as he needs to be.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:I could understand him seeing a sports psychologist this offseason.
Yeah same... But, if he has a mental issue now just imagine the pressure that will be on him next year here. There's no way in hell the Bears keep him around even if they have to eat the cap not only for the sake of the team but for Parkey's as well.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Interesting... I never watched the interview because I could care less about Parkey at this point and don't care what he has to say LOL. But, the look on Nagy's face after the kick and to hear him say that about the TS interview Nagy behind the scenes seems to be still pretty upset about the whole situation. Now with Pace coming out and saying they need to improve the kicker situation looks to be the writing on the wall to at least get some serious competition in here this offseason if not just let the guy go altogether.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
wab
Mod

Knuckles wrote:

Interesting... I never watched the interview because I could care less about Parkey at this point and don't care what he has to say LOL. But, the look on Nagy's face after the kick and to hear him say that about the TS interview Nagy behind the scenes seems to be still pretty upset about the whole situation. Now with Pace coming out and saying they need to improve the kicker situation looks to be the writing on the wall to at least get some serious competition in here this offseason if not just let the guy go altogether.
The interview was a weird wanna-be feel good story. Like, hey look at what a great person his is...rooted in faith...family man...more than just football.

But it fell flat and clearly pissed off the brass. And I'm sure the part where Parkey said "Football is just what I do, it's not who I am" is what Nagy is talking about when he said something along the lines of "We talk about the team, we talk about 'we'. That felt like a 'me' thing. It was not a 'we' thing,"

That's a professional way of saying that Parkey's decision to appear on Today was extremely selfish, and that's not the culture that the Bears are trying to instill.

A lot can happen between now and March/April, but if you ask me today, I don't see Parkey in a Bears uniform next season.
Z Bear
MVP

Isn't it nice to only be bitching about our kicker? Last year was a crap ton of questions (Coach, QB, pass rush, etc.) and this season it is just Doink.
GSH
MVP

bad thing for a winning culture too. you cant have 52 other guys looking at parkey, a guy who performed so badly all year, outright didnt do his job and then have him back on your team. It just tells guys that even if they massively under perform there's a chance they keep their job.
IotaNet
MVP

Z Bear wrote:Isn't it nice to only be bitching about our kicker? Last year was a crap ton of questions (Coach, QB, pass rush, etc.) and this season it is just Doink.
totally agree.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell