Rex Ryan for DC?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

...I have heard his name mentioned. Regardless of his performance as a HC, there is no doubting his abilities as a DC. As an obvious Buddy Ryan fan, I would love to have Rex for that connection, but also because I think that he could do some really interesting things with guys like Mack and Hicks on defense. Being a Buddy Ryan disciple, I also prefer a riskier, more hyper-aggressive Defense, which Ryan would also bring.

Anyway, judging by the fact that Nagy was perfectly fine with the Bears retaining Fangio and basically allowing him to do whatever he wanted on the Defensive side of the ball, it would make perfect sense to hire a coach like Ryan and to just turn the defense completely over to him, making him the same type of "Co-Head Coach" that Fangio was this past year.
wab
Mod

No.

He's a bombastic meatball doofus blowhard that loves nothing more than the sound of his own voice. Everything he's touched since leaving Baltimore has turned to ash.
Z Bear
MVP

His wife does have nice feet, lol!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:No.
Seconded.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Donatell is going with Fangio and Bowles *may* be tied to Arians.

Who the fuck else is left?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Gregg Williams? I don't think Bowles is a done deal in TB though.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

There is no doubt the guy can and would have a good defense as the bears DC. The problem is would he disrupt the good vibes that the bears are riding on? If he could stay his lane, he is probably the 2nd best candidate to Bowles IMO.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Fuck no. He is too hungry for the spotlight himself. He doesn't fit with the culture Nagy is building. Rex would create distraction. His D's are mostly about run stopping only, and without rare talents like Revis to cover his scheme warts up, I was never overly impressed.

And anyone who'd tattoo Mark Sanchez on their body is not to taken seriously again.
Funkster
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Fuck no. He is too hungry for the spotlight himself. He doesn't fit with the culture Nagy is building. Rex would create distraction. His D's are mostly about run stopping only, and without rare talents like Revis to cover his scheme warts up, I was never overly impressed.

And anyone who'd tattoo Mark Sanchez on their body is not to taken seriously again.

Although I agree about him being a distraction, his defenses have always been stout, even when his teams down right suck. With the Bears front 7, average corners will look really good. Ohh and BTW, the bears do have some good DB’s on their roster to boot.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm going to call on the ghost of the "Should we sign Khalil Mack" thread, and say you guys are idiots.

I actually know Rex Ryan a bit having worked with him for a few years. First thing to know is he's as genuine/nice a person as I've ever met in the NFL coaching world. Genuine to the bone, including how he treats administrative staff and every other regular joe. This helps him connect with his players on a real personal level, much like Nagy was able to do. His mouth stems from his very amicable personality, he talks to anyone and everyone, he just loves people.

Second thing to know is that he lives and breathes football - but not just football, defensive football. He wasn't a great HC but as a DC he's as good as you'll find IMO. His defense were always good, and when they slacked it was because he gave too much control to others. He brought up Mike Pettine, a damn fine DC in his own right, as well as many others. He loves aggressive, downhill attacking defense, just like his old man. Give him good pass rush personnel (which we have), and he'll give you not a good, but a GREAT defense. 3/4 guy too, so his style fits our personnel.

I don't know if he wants to be a DC or not, but if he does I'd take him in a heart beat. HC? Sure, diss him all you want there, he relied on a defensive identity when the NFL changed to a purely offensive league. But as a DC? Damn, he'd do great things with this team.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:I'm going to call on the ghost of the "Should we sign Khalil Mack" thread, and say you guys are idiots.

I actually know Rex Ryan a bit having worked with him for a few years. First thing to know is he's as genuine/nice a person as I've ever met in the NFL coaching world. Genuine to the bone, including how he treats administrative staff and every other regular joe. This helps him connect with his players on a real personal level, much like Nagy was able to do. His mouth stems from his very amicable personality, he talks to anyone and everyone, he just loves people.

Second thing to know is that he lives and breathes football - but not just football, defensive football. He wasn't a great HC but as a DC he's as good as you'll find IMO. His defense were always good, and when they slacked it was because he gave too much control to others. He brought up Mike Pettine, a damn fine DC in his own right, as well as many others. He loves aggressive, downhill attacking defense, just like his old man. Give him good pass rush personnel (which we have), and he'll give you not a good, but a GREAT defense. 3/4 guy too, so his style fits our personnel.

I don't know if he wants to be a DC or not, but if he does I'd take him in a heart beat. HC? Sure, diss him all you want there, he relied on a defensive identity when the NFL changed to a purely offensive league. But as a DC? Damn, he'd do great things with this team.
Call/text him and find out if he's interested. I'm not kidding.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:I'm going to call on the ghost of the "Should we sign Khalil Mack" thread, and say you guys are idiots.

That last paragraph sums it up exactly to me. I'd love to have Rex Ryan in charge of the defense. Imagine the blitz possibilities 3-4, 4-3, 46 combinations with the personnel we have. We have several LBs that can blitz the hell out of the offense and from multiple positions. Not knowing where or when the blitz or pass rush is coming would have to lessen the amount that Mack is double teamed. That alone is worth transitioning for.

Ryan would also have a once in a lifetime opportunity here given the quality of our defense. He'd have to be interested if he was offered a chance to interview.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BuddyRyans46 wrote:Rex Ryan for DC?
hell no

while he might actually offer actual defensive talent, I think that is outweighed by the clown show that comes with it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

He was, literally a GREAT DC IN THE D SYSTEM WE CURRENTLY RUN. He'd come into a stacked team with a HC willing to allow his DC free reign. That might actually be enough to get him.

Clown show? I don't know... maybe... that's the office's problem. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he were willing to come back.

Don't dis the idea because it was mentioned from ball of meat covered in sauce! LOL I've seen other places talking about it and I think it would be a win.

Word on the street today is that Bowles is gone, he decided to go with TB. If that's the case, it's probably because the Bears said they'd already gotten if covered. If Donatell really is gone with Vic, then it might be Jay Rodgers (d line coach).

But, as dplank said, we didn't know jack about the Mack thing. I wouldn't put much past Pace but I'll have a hard time questioning much he does or says right now also.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rex was in the bottom half of defensive rankings his last 7-8 years in the league. He was good 2 of 4 years in Baltimore and his first two years with the jets and then stunk after that with the jets and bills having 15 be his highest ranking in that stretch.

No thanks.