Early Look at the 2019 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I know, I know - it's way too early to talk about the 2019 NFL Draft. But honestly, this time of year is extremely boring, and I'd like to spark some sort of discussion around here. Taking an early peek at next year's crop, it appears to have a strength in DL and pass rushers - which I'm sure will be a priority need going into the next offseason.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/277 ... ard#slide1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's Matt Miller's top 25 as of 5/7/18:

1. Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio State
2. Ed Oliver, DL, Houston
3. Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan
4. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
5. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
6. Trey Adams, OT, Washington
7. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss
8. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss
9. Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson
10. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
11. Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama
12. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
13. Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson
14. Ryan Finley, QB, NC State
15. Lukas Denis, S, Boston College
16. Dre'Mont Jones, DL, Ohio State
17. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
18. Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State
19. Damien Harris, RB, Alabama
20. Michael Jackson, CB, Miami
21. Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky
22. N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
23. David Sills V, WR, West Virginia
24. Devin White, LB, LSU
25. Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

Some random thoughts:

- Obviously a lot will depend on where the Bears are selecting - here's hoping we are picking mid-late 1st round because we've made actual progress on the field. Looking at that list a guy that is really intriguing to me is Josh Allen Edge Kentucky. He has the body type that Fangio looks for in an edge rusher and has been highly productive thus far at Kentucky.

- If we're not going edge rusher in R1 and want to look at CB, Deandre Baker out of Georgia caught my eye last year, he'd be guy worth keeping a tab on this coming college football season.

- I think the OT talent will be much better in next year's draft (at least top heavy) than it was this year. Williams, Adams and Little all look like they could be upgrades over Massie at this point and worth a R1 selection.

- Ed Oliver, to me - should be the #1 pick next year if he stays healthy. I can't remember watching a more electrifying, athletic, dominant DT in college football outside of Aaron Donald. I think he's going to be an absolute stud in the NFL.

Are there any of those prospects listed above that you're interested in watching closely this season? Or maybe some the aren't listed - thoughts?
Never Die Easy
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Bosa an Adams I would make big trades to go up for, or if we start and play like shit for the first half of the season then I am tanking for one of them.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It could be the kind of year where there's enough top level OTs to get a stud at 15ish.

Unfortunately, with no R2 and crap at OLB, they could also be backed into a corner where there's no flexibility on what to do with R1.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote:It could be the kind of year where there's enough top level OTs to get a stud at 15ish.

Unfortunately, with no R2 and crap at OLB, they could also be backed into a corner where there's no flexibility on what to do with R1.
True and while I haven't seen a preliminary FA list in 2019, I doubt there will be any OT or Pass Rushers available worth spending top dollar on or what our cap situation will be like.
Never Die Easy
malagabears
Journeyman

DaSuperfan wrote:
Moriarty wrote:It could be the kind of year where there's enough top level OTs to get a stud at 15ish.

True and while I haven't seen a preliminary FA list in 2019, I doubt there will be any OT or Pass Rushers available worth spending top dollar on or what our cap situation will be like.
Welp, it looks like this thread is gonna look at round 3 exclusively unless Pace pulls another rabbit out of the hat.
EricTighe
MVP

1. Ed Oliver I believe he would have been the top prospect last year.

Dexter Lawrence perfect fit and perfect player for us.
Bosa he is not as good as his brother. But he maybe healthier.

the rest.

We need to concentrate on the later draft picks any way :)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Things have really changed a lot.

Possible early R3 targets look like:

SS replacement for Amos
ILB replacement for Trevathan
Field-stretching, full-sized speed receiver sort of replacing White

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:Things have really changed a lot.

Possible early R3 targets look like:

SS replacement for Amos
ILB replacement for Trevathan
Field-stretching, full-sized speed receiver sort of replacing White
I think Iggy is Trevathans eventual replacement personally.
SS well need upgrade though.
WR maybe Wimms? I know he's not speed demon but he has good speed IMO.
Z Bear
MVP

Some needs to play RT too, Coward and Sowell battle does not inspire much confidence in the position
G08
Hall of Famer

Hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling we are drafting Jordan Howard's replacement in this draft. Less thump and more speed/pass catching ability as a 3 down back.

Maybe a RT as well? ILB depth, etc.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So far Miles Sanders looks like a scheme fit with plenty of talent. I'd he declares.
G08
Hall of Famer

So our picks, currently, will be round 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Anyone have any guesses as to what positions will be targeted there?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:So our picks, currently, will be round 3, 4, 5 and 7.

RT/RG, CB/S, WR, RB...would be my guess given the contract status of Amos/Massie/Callahan/White. RB if the Bears try to get a pick out of Howard in the offseason.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

RT/RG, CB/S, WR, RB...would be my guess given the contract status of Amos/Massie/Callahan/White. RB if the Bears try to get a pick out of Howard in the offseason.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree... OL, DB, WR, RB.

I like Cunningham but I don't think I like him getting 15-20 carries a game. Need another dude.

I miss Ka'deem Carey :lol:

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

I like Cunningham but I don't think I like him getting 15-20 carries a game. Need another dude.

If only that dude could have stayed healthy. He'd be such a good fit in this offense. I haven't looked at RBs a ton. I like Rodney Anderson a lot but he's hurt so it's hard to say.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

If only that dude could have stayed healthy. He'd be such a good fit in this offense. I haven't looked at RBs a ton. I like Rodney Anderson a lot but he's hurt so it's hard to say.
Whenever he declares, Josh Jacobs from Alabama would be a wonderful fit in Nagy's system... can return kicks as well. Built about like Hunt from KC but looks like he might be faster.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm thinking we need a "more natural", "well-rounded" RB to replace Howard. I look at how KC was using Hunt against New England and I just don't think Howard can be that dynamic in the passing game.

I'm expecting a back to be taken with one of our picks and I'm of the opinion that player will battle Howard for the starting gig and it will ostensibly boot Cunningham from the roster.

Probably need to draft a safety as well, I don't know if we will be retaining Amos.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Probably need to draft a safety as well, I don't know if we will be retaining Amos.
He hasn't looked great.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

How about Ryan Nall as his replacement? He's big like Howard way more natural with running routes. I just don't remember how they compare speed wise.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:How about Ryan Nall as his replacement? He's big like Howard way more natural with running routes. I just don't remember how they compare speed wise.

I was just thinking this, albeit I may be 7 or 8 pendleton's deep, but hear me out.

Ryan Nall, raw as he is, gets a year in the system on the practice squad. Howard, as much as I love him, gets flipped for a 3rd and 6th, because they simply can't pay everyone. Cunningham gets cut for an UDFA or Mizzell. Cohen is the not so feature, feature back and nall does the dirty work and catches some passes while mizzell does the cunningham work.

I love howard, but he needs to be on a team that will hand him the ball 25 to 30 times a game. I don't see that on a team with cohen and running nagy's offense.

After watching the last 10-15 years of the nfl evolution I think RB is the most replaceable position and one you should probably never draft in the first round as the drop off isn't like other positions. Flip howard to the raiders or seahags for a couple picks to shore up O'line and the back end of the defense.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

There are a few RBs that I could see fitting this roster. Depending on who declares.

Justice Hill is kind I'd like Cohen.
Miles Sanders mentioned before
David Montgomery can do everything well. Not a burner but that kid fits this offense. Big enough to run between the tackles, elusive and can catch or block. Smooth athlete.

This class is really dependent on who declares.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on Trey Burton's season with the Bears this year? I thought he was solid but I've seen some draft publications that say he's been a major disappointment. I don't know if I agree with that. I expect Shaheen to take a step in a positive direction next season when he's healthy. I don't know that we should spend any of our picks on TE's. Curious to know what everyone else thinks about our TE situation heading into the offseason.
Never Die Easy
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

TE is low on the list of priority, maybe an UDFA invite but between burton and shaheen we are 90 percent covered. Braunecker showed enough to stick as an emergency burton so maybe you look for a blocking UDFA TE or Big TE.

Burton definitely showed enough and he is being paid enough that there won't be much more of an investment than him and shaheen for a year or two.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Curious what everyone's thoughts are on Trey Burton's season with the Bears this year? I thought he was solid but I've seen some draft publications that say he's been a major disappointment. I don't know if I agree with that. I expect Shaheen to take a step in a positive direction next season when he's healthy. I don't know that we should spend any of our picks on TE's. Curious to know what everyone else thinks about our TE situation heading into the offseason.
I think all of the primary receiving targets put up uninspiring numbers, relative to their paychecks (or draft position), Burton included.

But as for "disappointing", I don't know what he's ever done that would make you expect too much more than he did this year, either.

I'm thinking all the receivers get a second year with Mitch and the system (especially since all the contracts pretty much require it), and, depending on 2019, maybe some moves get made after that.

I can't see how a pick gets spent on TE this year.

EricTighe
MVP

Picking where we are picking. I have no doubt we are going to be looking at guys who drop due to injury or some other reason. Forget the position or the need. We are going to go the best player available to try and salvage something out of this draft.

Well, that's what I would do.

If looking at a position I would be looking for an O-lineman that is strong as an ox who needs work on his technique.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

NFL.com has a ongoing list of underclassmen who're coming out early:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think our first pick (R3) will most likely be either a RB or OT. I trust the scouting staff + Harry Hiestand to find a suitable replacement for Massie, as I don't think we're keeping him. I thought Massie was fairly underrated during his time here, he wasn't a world beater but certainly wasn't chopped liver either.

I thought we did a tremendous job of drafting James Daniels in R2 last year and he proved to be a valuable piece on the OL last year as a 21 year old rookie. I look for something similar this year with one of our first 2 picks.

I think the OT depth this class is better than recent years prior.
Never Die Easy
Z Bear
MVP

It all depends on what happens in with our pending free agents. Starting RT, SS, and Nickelback (which is technically a starter on this team) are all pending free agents and most-likely not all three will be back. Cowart, Bush, and Fant/Tolliver are all questions marks so our 3rd round pick could easily be any one of the 3 positions listed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

LSU kicker Cole Tracy just put on a show at South practice @seniorbowl. Banged a 56-yard FG to end it.
My guy!

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Are any Kickers ever worth drafting? I say don't waste a draft pick on one - maybe in the 7th round since we might have 2 picks in that round.
Never Die Easy