Bears DC — Who will it be?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

wab wrote:
Umbali wrote:
wab wrote:Ok, does it bother anyone that he’s only had 4 top 10 defenses in 16 years?
Honestly not sure. Was he given a bunch of shit players and told..' make them good?"
He only had good players four out of 16 years?
lol i dunno..never followed him much. Just as a curious side note, how many years did Fangio have a top 10 D?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
BR0D1E86
MVP

Umbali wrote:
wab wrote:
Umbali wrote:
wab wrote:Ok, does it bother anyone that he’s only had 4 top 10 defenses in 16 years?
Honestly not sure. Was he given a bunch of shit players and told..' make them good?"
He only had good players four out of 16 years?
lol i dunno..never followed him much. Just as a curious side note, how many years did Fangio have a top 10 D?
8 times if I counted right (in terms of yards per game). 19 seasons as a DC.

I’m far too ignorant of the candidates to make an educated decision. Got to trust Pace and Nagy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:Bowles had already told Arians he'd join him in Tampa. His word is the reason he's there.
Had Vic been announced as the Broncos HC 12 hours earlier, Bowles would probably be the Bears DC.
Apparently Bowles told Arians six weeks ago, that if he got a HC gig, he would be his DC. We never really had a shot at him. Bowles agent was using the availability of the Chicago position as a bargaining tool to complete some language they wanted in the Tampa contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's what's driving me nuts about this process... What the H-E-double hockey sticks is happening? Are we interviewing people for our DC opening? If so, who? If not, why not? Are we waiting for coaches who are still in the playoffs? What is the freaking plan??? Image
Of course, we also know a number of things about Ryan Pace. 1. He has a plan and goes all in. 2. He is the stealthiest mofo around, so it's entirely possible that we're not going to know until it's about game over. And that's OK.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Here's what's driving me nuts about this process... What the H-E-double hockey sticks is happening? Are we interviewing people for our DC opening? If so, who? If not, why not? Are we waiting for coaches who are still in the playoffs? What is the freaking plan??? Image
Of course, we also know a number of things about Ryan Pace. 1. He has a plan and goes all in. 2. He is the stealthiest mofo around, so it's entirely possible that we're not going to know until it's about game over. And that's OK.
lol that sums up both ways i feel lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IotaNet
MVP

Mikefive wrote:... we also know a number of things about Ryan Pace. 1. He has a plan and goes all in. 2. He is the stealthiest mofo around, so it's entirely possible that we're not going to know until it's about game over ...
Yep.

And add the fact that Pace is always hyper-prepared. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he has been planning for the possibility of Fangio's departure for months. I fully expect that he has a list of candidates that he's been keeping tabs on for a while.

I am also confident that he is not going to make (or allow) any personnel decisions that are going to disrupt the culture that he and Nagy are building.

I totally trust Pace on this.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

My guess is that they are waiting to see what happens with Donatell in the next few days

G08
Hall of Famer

Patrick Finley

Verified account

@patrickfinley
2m2 minutes ago
More
Vic Fangio said he hasn't finalized any assistant jobs.
Curious to see whether Ed Donatell and other #Bears assistants join him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Hoge

Verified account

@AdamHoge
8m8 minutes ago
More
Vic Fangio said he learned a lot from Matt Nagy on how to handle being a first-year head coach. “The Bears are lucky to have him,” Fangio said.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

R.I.P. Mobsters of the Midway

I'm going to miss all these overly Italian named coaches that sound like they're extras from The Sopranos.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:My guess is that they are waiting to see what happens with Donatell in the next few days
I'm sure that's part of it.

Also, both the Chiefs and (ugh) Eagles are still in the playoffs.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:My guess is that they are waiting to see what happens with Donatell in the next few days

The chiefs have a defensive coordinator?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

The chiefs have a defensive coordinator?
It’s hard to believe, but yes I believe they do.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

They have someone assigned to that title, yes.

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/bob-sutton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs

Verified account

@BradBiggs
Following Following @BradBiggs
More
The #Bears interviewed secondary coach Ed Donatell for the defensive coordinator position today. Former Indy coach Chuck Pagano is believed to be on their radar and could be the top external candidate.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Brad Biggs

Verified account

@BradBiggs
Following Following @BradBiggs
More
The #Bears interviewed secondary coach Ed Donatell for the defensive coordinator position today. Former Indy coach Chuck Pagano is believed to be on their radar and could be the top external candidate.
I have to say no don’t know a lot about Chuck Pagano’s schemes. I do know, if left to his own devices, he could probably run that side of the ball with out any issues.

GSH
MVP

i think thats a good point actually whiskey. i wonder how much of the good stuff nagy got done this year was because he didnt have to think about the D at all and left vic to his own devices. you have to think the best replacement will be a DC that can also be one that runs a 3-4 and can be left to do his thing without nagy needing to get too involved.

slim pickings though now, right?
Bearfacts
MVP

If it's me my first move is to look to promote from within. It would make the most sense to have as few changes in scheme and play calling as possible. Let' not make what we have worse.

If Pace and Nagy are at all interested in him they should sit down with Ed Donatell and discuss an offer. The news tends to indicate they did that today and if Fangio is also interested in him as his DC I'm thinking he'll want to at least discuss that with him.

If Donatell chooses to leave next up for me would be guys like Chuck Pagano, Jay Rodgers, maybe Steve Wilks or they look at younger guys who have less experience but are rising fast. Whoever might think like and coach like Vic should probably be on the list.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:i think thats a good point actually whiskey. i wonder how much of the good stuff nagy got done this year was because he didnt have to think about the D at all and left vic to his own devices. you have to think the best replacement will be a DC that can also be one that runs a 3-4 and can be left to do his thing without nagy needing to get too involved.

slim pickings though now, right?
With where the Bears are in the development of Mitch, and this offense. Nagy just needs a guy that can come in, set up shop and go to work. Nagy can't be trying to manage the training of a new DC, manage his second year as a HC, while trying to teach Mitch and Co. the offense. I do think Donatell can come in and do it. Not sure of other younger options around the league. An ex-HC option like Pagano or Del Rio certainly can as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rodgers doesn't inspire me, for whatever reason. Not that this is the reason why, but he was the defensive coordinator in that Packers/Eagles playoff game when McNabb converted 4th and 26.

Pagano has that Ravens background which I am starting to love the more I research top defense in the NFL the past decade. He might be my dude and I don't anticipate him getting another HC job anytime soon (I've been wrong before).

wab
Mod

Donatell is a pretty respected guy, but I don't know how much I love him as the DC.

For starters, I don't know a ton about his philosophy but he's only coordinated 4-3 defenses (not that it matters really given his experience with Vic).

In his stint as the Packers DC from 2000-2003 his defenses were 14, 5, 12, 4. From 2004-2006 as the DC of the Falcons, his defenses were 14, 18, 25.

Not great or super consistent, and those early 2000's packers defenses were stacked. But..that Falcons team under Mora was...not.
G08
Hall of Famer

^ Thoughts on Pagano, my friend?

Players and coaches who have worked with him rave about him (as a person). I don't know enough about him and his X's and O's outside of coordinating a BALLER defense in 2011:

3rd in points allowed
3rd in sacks
2nd in rush yards per game
4th in passing yards per game

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:^ Thoughts on Pagano, my friend?

Players and coaches who have worked with him rave about him (as a person). I don't know enough about him and his X's and O's outside of coordinating a BALLER defense in 2011:

3rd in points allowed
3rd in sacks
2nd in rush yards per game
4th in passing yards per game
I'm warming up to him as an option. He's not Bowles and I had all my eggs in that basket, so it's taken me a bit to come around on other guys. I still like Caldwell a lot, but if the Bears want to go with a guy that can just set up shop and go, then I suppose Pagano is a good choice. I know his defenses give a lot of exotic looks. That was a blessing for him in Baltimore, but a curse in Indy - because in Indy his GM couldn't acquire talent for shit.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I mean, I just wanna hire Pagano so we can get another crazy weather/hurricane press conference out of him!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m warming more and more to Pagano. Experienced (with success), can run that side of the ball on his own, old enough that there’s at least a chance he will get overlooked for head coaching jobs, and as I recall his players love he guy. I think he’s my guy.
G08
Hall of Famer

6 playoff games as a head coach including an AFC Championship game.

Valuable experience from a coordinator...

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:6 playoff games as a head coach including an AFC Championship game.

Valuable experience from a coordinator...

just keep him away from Special Teams

Colts fourth down fake goes horribly wrong
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Rodgers doesn't inspire me, for whatever reason. Not that this is the reason why, but he was the defensive coordinator in that Packers/Eagles playoff game when McNabb converted 4th and 26.

Pagano has that Ravens background which I am starting to love the more I research top defense in the NFL the past decade. He might be my dude and I don't anticipate him getting another HC job anytime soon (I've been wrong before).
Seems like a reasonable option to me.

If I'm the Bears and Nagy, my primary goal is to find a DC with experience who can take the defense and run with it without deviating too much from Fangio's 3-4 concepts. Nagy is not in a position to be trying to manage the other side of the ball, something he's never done yet. Obviously, a new DC will have to run the defense his way and add his own wrinkles. But we can't be going in a significantly different direction defensively after the group we currently have which isn't losing much was just tops in the league.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Looks like jobs are starting to get filled up:

Jets - Gase on the verge of landing Gregg Williams
Cardinals - Vance Joseph
Browns - Interviewing Steve Wilks

What other openings are there that I am forgetting?

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm warming up on Pagano. I'm also wondering why no interest in Dom Capers. The Packers stench is too much?
xyt in the discord chats