Which Bears disappointed you in 2018?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Obviously, we had a fantastic year going 12-4 in the regular season. But there had to be guys who didn't live up to your expectations. List them and explain. Mine later.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

Zack Miller: I thought under this new coaching staff he would be a monster to cover ( channeling my inner Stephen a Smith ) lol

seriously tho

This is going to make me seem naive , but Kevin White lol

I was hoping that with this new offense, new coaching staff, that suddenly it would click. He stayed health but obviously never showed anything in practice. Would have made a nice story.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bad Flanders
MVP

Running game in general.

Cohen's bad Barry Sanders impersonations and weird running for the sidelines at all costs (is that poor vision?) and Howard's sub 4 yards per carry average.

I think they get a little bit of a pass due to the questionable play calling surrounding the running game but you asked about expectations and I really thought the two of them in an offense like this could really put up some huge #'s... instead we have people asking about whether K Hunt would be worth a look...
Funkster
MVP

Umbali wrote:
This is going to make me seem naive , but Kevin White lol

I was hoping that with this new offense, new coaching staff, that suddenly it would click. He stayed health but obviously never showed anything in practice. Would have made a nice story.
When I saw the thread title, White is the first player that popped in to mind. His entire career has been one big let down. The bears really could have used him during the playoffs to have another big target to go to. His time as a bear is most likely over. Unfortunately he’ll probably got to the pats and go to the Super Bowl as their star receiver.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Obviously, Parkey and White stand out. Maybe Sims, but who would've had expectations for him?

Mine... Adam Shaheen.
He looked like he was trending upward in TC before turning his ankle and missing the first half of the season. Then if it takes him November to get back in shape and into the swing of things, fine. But when he was healthy and ready to go at the end of the year, he played like nothing more than a backup. And almost invisible in the Eagles game with Burton out. I didn't expect a guy his size to be running around and doing everything. But he's built to be a chains mover TD scorer. And he didn't come close to living up to it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Shaheen is a good choice.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I will give Shaheen the benefit of the doubt of being out for more than half the season, comes back against the Vikings and gets a 2 point conversion but endures a concussion on the play. Out the next week. Just tough to get into the offensive rhythm when you've been out for so long. I think Nagy just didn't call a lot of plays his way. He was showing a lot of promise in the preseason before he got hurt.

One thing that was disappointing to me was the fact that we were one of the worst teams in terms of YAC. We supposedly have speed at WR with Gabriel, Cohen out of the backfield, etc, I expected more explosive plays in the passing game from our WR's. I think Cohen was much better than Gabriel in terms of YAC - so I'll go with Gabriel's lack of YAC as my disappointment.
Never Die Easy
LacertineForest
MVP

The obvious choices of White and Shaheen have been mentioned already, so I'm going to go with Trey Burton. Not that he was a bust or even bad (he was 10th in receptions, 13th in yds, and 4th in TDs), but I thought he was going to be a much bigger part of the offense. When you consider that Shaheen was out for most of the season, the TE group as a whole was a bit underwhelming.
Funkster
MVP

How about Kyle Long? More so disappointing he can’t stay healthy.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Burton. No question for me.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I was disappointed FOR Kyle Long more than in him.
malk
Head Coach

Shaheen looked awful in the playoff game and RRH didn't kick on like I'd hoped though that's a bit harsh. I guess Burton was a bit disappointing in the scheme, what's Wims like at blocking :P

Nice that it's a real struggle to think of who was disappointing, this team is really stacked!

One thing that was a little surprising though, if you told me no receiver would get to 800 yards and the running game would suffer, I wouldn't have put us at 12-4. I'll take it though, the more viable pass catching options the better, one more in addition to the current 5 would be very nice indeed.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

The whole TE group disappointed me.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:Burton. No question for me.

Yes. Though he had some clutch plays and a few good games I expected more than this:

Regular Season
REC 54
YARDS 569
AVG 10.5
LONG 47
TD 6

What was his deal about his groin and sitting out the playoff game???

Yeah, this is not good:
Burton began his career with the Eagles and threw a touchdown in last year's Super Bowl. When he had the opportunity to throw a pass this year, he noted the anxiety and mental stress of the situation kept him from being able to do it. In a loss to the New York Giants back in Week 13, the Bears installed a play in which Burton would throw a pass. He later had to tell Nagy he was not comfortable doing it.

"We installed the play and when they put it on the board I got crazy anxiety," Burton said at the time, via Josh Frydman of WGN News and CLTV. "I was kind of freaking out a bit because a ton of unbelievable memories come to mind from the Super Bowl. And we were playing the Patriots at the time, we wanted to run it then. I just remember going out not really saying much, going out to practice and trying to do it. I just couldn't. Physically, there was some type of block, wasn't letting me do it."

He then continued:

"I told Nagy, 'Hey coach, I'm having crazy anxiety,' I couldn't sleep that night thinking about it. There were so many really good memories, but I'm not there anymore, I'm on a different team doing something different. I just didn't feel comfortable. Thankfully he said no 'big deal, I appreciate you letting me know' and 'Reek' was able to do it."

Parker - Jesus Christ. Say no more.

White - Virtually a no show. Made almost no impact. It says a lot that Wims was used over him.

Shaheen/Sims/Brown/Braunecker - Collectively contributed very little over the entire year.
Last edited by ramentaschen on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearfacts
MVP

Parkey, Parkey, and Cody Parkey too.

I was less disappointed with our RBs than I was with our initial blocking scheme and how long it took to correct it. Howard is only the wrong RB for this team if we continue to ignore zone blocking in favor of gap blocking. He proved that against Minny. Cohen would also benefit more IMHO.

Floyd WAS a disappointment until the second half. If he can keep playing like he did the second half he's gonna be just fine.
GSH
MVP

MIZZELL.

If he's getting that many touches i expect him to be more useful than a fart in a space suit.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Shaheen for me.
It was really summed up when he couldn't make the defender miss in the open field in the Wildcard game and went down short of the sticks. That's the sort of play that I really hoped a big guy like him would be the difference and get yards after contact
EricTighe
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:Parkey, Parkey, and Cody Parkey too.

This is as easy as eating apple pie.

Of the others mentioned.
Burton- Damn we missed him in that game. Best TE since Olson what isn't there to like.
White- Not too disappointed since I never liked the pick, to begin with. One year wonder with work-out warrior numbers. Those guys always scare me.
Shaheen- Loved what I saw out of him. Too bad he got hurt but I think we have the making of one hell of a group of TE's.
Mizzell- Can't blame him he just isn't that good.
Long- is what he is. when healthy he makes our O-line one of the better ones in the league. When hurt our o-line looks a lot worse. Let us just hope the injury bug stops biting him.