View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Parkey just arrived at the Today Show for his interview...

:rofl: :thumbsup: :applaud:

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm 
Head Coach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm 
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
Parkey just arrived at the Today Show for his interview...

Quality. :thumbsup:

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm 
Head Coach

Riddle me this Cody, God doesn't exist, yet he still hates you.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 am 
Player of the Month

Not sure I get his reasoning behind a national interview. How many more times can he say I'm sorry I fucked up.

To me the real issue here, and what Pace and Nagy have to consider, is that this wasn't just one bad kick. It was an entire season and preseason of bad kicks and his also his worst year as far as KOR average by a long shot, 24.9 yards. IMHO the bottom line is he is nowhere near the kicker he was as a rookie in Philly and his career year in Miami may be the real outlier not 2018.

In addition to Parkey's seven misses during the regular season and one in the playoffs he was just 8/11/72.7% in preseason and already we began to worry a bit whether or not this kid was any better than Barth or others we've given a shot to. Overall he was 34/45/75.6% in 2018 so nothing improved much if at all during the regular season.

We sent Gould packing after an 84.6% year because Fox said he no longer trusted him and even after shopping the best we could sign in FA we get Parkey's 75.6%. So far he's another Connor Barth but a far more costly one.

It actually gets worse when we review his career stats.

Parkey has made 65 of 70 FGs from 20-39 yards in his career. Nearly 93% accurate. But between 40-49 yards he's just 27 of 39 and only 69.2% accurate. So in a way his "double doink" from 43 yards seems almost pre-destined.

I don't have the yardage figures on all of his goal post collisions. Someone else may know. But I do know and have posted that he had these very same issues in Cleveland where he managed only 80% accuracy and hit the upright on 3 out of 5 misses. So I'd be curious to know how many of his "doinks" came on 40 yard or greater kicks.

Here he's been "wide right" on most of his misses including the "doinks" and from watching him I could see that his kicks naturally tail to the right as they travel. They don't hook back towards center as many soccer style kicks do. His kicks seldom split the uprights but up to a certain distance his natural "slice" still makes it.....until when past 40 yards it doesn't.

His inaccuracy is almost like he only has half the width of the uprights to work with. If he allows for his slice he can pull the ball as he did Sunday and miss left. And if he aims dead center and the ball drifts right each time he struggles with 40 yard plus kicks. The bottom line is beyond 39 yards he's not a very accurate PK at all.

I dunno. Pace and Nagy could say it's just bad luck but the facts tell a different story.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 am 
MVP

docc wrote:

I laughed. And then I cried.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am 
Hall of Famer

Parkey doesn't seem to drive the ball like most competent kickers in the league. If he tries to really put his foot into it, its like he over cooks his body, hitting it low and left. If he tries not to over cook it, then he literally blocks it high right. Not unlike golf.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm 
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
I looked up what I could on this. Here's what I found.

From the 2018 NFL Rulebook...
Rule 7. Dead Ball... Section 2. Article 1
Quote:
m. when an official sounds the whistle erroneously while the ball is still in play, the ball becomes dead immediately.
2. If the ball is a loose ball resulting from a fumble, backward pass, or illegal forward pass, the team last in possession may elect to put the ball in play at the spot where possession was lost or to replay the down.
The above shows that the rule is that the offensive team gets the ball where last possessed by Miller. And it says absolutely clearly that a whistle means it's a dead ball. Period.

Rule 15. Officials and Instant Replay, Section 2, Article 5.
Quote:
If an on-field ruling of a dead ball (down by contact, out of bounds, or incomplete forward pass) is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery, and any advance is nullified.
This rule is unclear, since it doesn't address reversed incomplete with whistle during fumble.

This is a key element from a book called the "Instant Replay Casebook", which I couldn't find online...
https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/stat ... 1257510913
This justifies the ruling of incomplete. Note that this rule doesn't change rule 7.2.1.m above that says it's a dead ball based on the "incomplete" whistle, which then can't be recovered. But what this really does is demonstrate that the NFL is making a travesty of the game by having different rules for the same play, one rule if a circumstance is called correctly on the field and another if the play is called wrong initially and replayed.

So as a player... You pick up the ball. Period. Only bad or neutral things can happen if you don't.

I'm not saying go nuts after every whistle, but Miller had to have it in his head "I caught that for a sec" and didn't act on it. That falls on coaching too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 am 
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Parkey doesn't seem to drive the ball like most competent kickers in the league. If he tries to really put his foot into it, its like he over cooks his body, hitting it low and left. If he tries not to over cook it, then he literally blocks it high right. Not unlike golf.

Exactly. He has a natural slice which will always been an issue if he can't correct it and it's obvious all of the added practice did not do it. It's a technique issue he needs to figure out and he hasn't.

I gotta be honest. From the very first time I saw him kick I though oh crap we signed another Barth. I was hoping I was wrong but I don't feel that I was. You've nailed all of what I've seen as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 am 
Assistant Coach

Hard to believe the Bears will just eat his expensive contract and cut him.

We are in a bad position here.

I am already worried about next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next