Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

MoFugger
Head Coach

They turn that franchise around and Arian retires, Bowles is a head coach again.
I am a big fan of Todd, and I wish it would have worked out. But I don't blame him one bit. He kept his word to the guy that put his name on the map.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

MoFugger wrote:They turn that franchise around and Arian retires, Bowles is a head coach again.
I am a big fan of Todd, and I wish it would have worked out. But I don't blame him one bit. He kept his word to the guy that put his name on the map.
Exactly. Sucks for us, but it isn't like the cupboard is bare and the position wouldn't be a springboard for a recently fired or displaced DC candidate. But need to look at who might be the next man up if the DC we hire gets an offer next offseason, which makes it tougher.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
G08
Hall of Famer

JJ Stankevitz

Verified account

@JJStankevitz
Follow Follow @JJStankevitz
More
Vic Fangio said he asked George McCaskey "Can I do the press conference tomorrow in my gray sweats?" McCaskey said no, gave him the tie he's wearing now.

I'm not crying, you're crying
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I tried to watch part of an interview that he did with the Jeff Joniak counterpart in Denver.

Oh, Vic. You are SO, SO awkward. I love the guy. He was a phenomenal DC in Chicago, SF, etc. He just doesn't seem to have the personality, savvy, or salesmanship to be a head coach. As a head coach, you have to sell your players on what you're doing, and why. Vic is a mad scientist type, with beakers and bunsen burners, cooking up evil defensive schemes. He's not a head coach. *SIGH*.

I'm still happy for him. I just don't see this going very well.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I tried to watch part of an interview that he did with the Jeff Joniak counterpart in Denver.

Oh, Vic. You are SO, SO awkward. I love the guy. He was a phenomenal DC in Chicago, SF, etc. He just doesn't seem to have the personality, savvy, or salesmanship to be a head coach. As a head coach, you have to sell your players on what you're doing, and why. Vic is a mad scientist type, with beakers and bunsen burners, cooking up evil defensive schemes. He's not a head coach. *SIGH*.

Oh it’s gonna be an epic dumpster fire. But still, he chased his dream and you can’t be mad at that.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I tried to watch part of an interview that he did with the Jeff Joniak counterpart in Denver.

Oh it’s gonna be an epic dumpster fire. But still, he chased his dream and you can’t be mad at that.
Yes, very happy for him. I hope I'm wrong.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Agreed. I think it's a mistake on his part, but there are only 32 of those jobs so I can't criticize going after one of them.

I fear he'll bomb out; he's organized and experienced, but so much of the job includes skills he hasn't shown he possesses. And I sincerely hope, for his sake, that I'm wrong about that.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He's a head coach by title only in Denver. Who knows? Maybe that's the type of situation he wants.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

And the shit show has started. Kubiak backs out of being the OC.
IotaNet
MVP

Am I the only one seeing a potential Jim Tomsula situation in Denver?

Don’t get me wrong — I really like Fangio and think he’s a bright guy but I just wonder about his ability to be savvy beyond the X’s and O’s of the job. So much politics and other overhead come with being a HC — especially in today’s world of Social Media and hot-takes. I hope he’s ready.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Somehow this is a franchise that has won 3 superbowls more recently that the Bears.
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:Somehow this is a franchise that has won 3 superbowls more recently that the Bears.
John Elway and Peyton Manning. HOF QBs will do it.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Otis Day wrote:And the shit show has started. Kubiak backs out of being the OC.
Yup. Figure if things don't work out with Pagano, Vic will be free in 2021 at the latest.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
EricTighe
MVP

He will do fine. That defense will be top notch again and that offense will run the crap out the ball.

Good for him to get such a good job and to finally get the chance.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:Somehow this is a franchise that has won 3 superbowls more recently that the Bears.
Two of those wins have asterisks because they cheated.