Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

I heard some of the presser..I think there was a question about Parkay's execution..

I am all for it..
UOK
Site Admin

Parkey's gone. That press conference did more than enough to emphasize how much they downplayed their disgust.
G08
Hall of Famer

Curious what Pace has in mind... would Gould sign a 3-4 year deal with money deferred to the second year? Are we looking at someone like Josh Lambo? Jason Myers?

Draft? I'd throw a 7th rounder at Cole Tracy out of LSU...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Curious what Pace has in mind... would Gould sign a 3-4 year deal with money deferred to the second year? Are we looking at someone like Josh Lambo? Jason Myers?

Draft? I'd throw a 7th rounder at Cole Tracy out of LSU...
I wouldn't be upset with a six. I know parkey is on a lot of our minds, and he is the butt of all jokes right now.
But as far as free agency? Throughout the league NFL kickers sucked this year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

What about the kid from Notre Dame? Yoon Ithink. That guys has been money for four years.
Z Bear
MVP

I still say he makes it to camp. Bring in someone off the street with experience on a low guarantee ($50k max) vet minimum contract, then bring in a rookie UDFA and let them have a battle royal. Let Parkey kick the first FG at Soldier Field then have Nagy get on the PA system and announce they cut him after he shanks it. Give the fans blood gladiator style.
UOK
Site Admin

I think they have a board of kickers for the draft, possibly in Pace's butter zone of the 4th/5th round.

Maybe tabs on a few unconventional sorts from international areas. I think the answer here is to go younger. Gould's great and all, but he's also expensive and a bit aged. I'd be interested in a 1-2 year deal for Robbie if he's interested and the money's right, but don't just go to Gould with a desperate air.
G08
Hall of Famer

We have a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and at least one 7th round pick in this upcoming draft. I think last year's 7th round picks around where we are slotted got a 4 year $2.56M dollar deal. Cap number of $497,906 in his first season.... we can easily afford that. Go draft your kid, Pace.

wab
Mod

Scouting kickers is haaaaaaard though. Some of the best kickers in college over the last few years have been drafted and have failed miserably.

You almost have to find a guy that has talent that has bounced around on a practice squad/preseason roster for a couple years but just hasn't been able to supplant a vet.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Scouting kickers is haaaaaaard though. Some of the best kickers in college over the last few years have been drafted and have failed miserably.

You almost have to find a guy that has talent that has bounced around on a practice squad/preseason roster for a couple years but just hasn't been able to supplant a vet.
It's a delicate art, that's for sure. Especially in the last few years where teams have cycled through a shitload of kickers. Arguably we're in the worst era of kickers in NFL history, maybe not by talent so much as established reliable mainstays.

Don't forget that Pace also needs to find a punter, too.

Fuck you, Pat. Your shitty 30 yard shank gave the Eagles 7 points, you dickless shitheel.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I would never re-sign a punter to a better deal. I would cycle thru punters when bad or when the contract was up. Parkey, is dead to me so that is that.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Scouting kickers is haaaaaaard though. Some of the best kickers in college over the last few years have been drafted and have failed miserably.

Anyone you like on the FA scrapheap?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:

Anyone you like on the FA scrapheap?
I watched a lot of Nick Rose when he was at Texas. His leg is unbelievable but calling his mechanics inconsistent would be kind. I wanted the Bears to draft him, but they signed Barth and brought in Andy Phillips as a UDFA instead.

Matt McCrane bounced between the Cards and the Raiders but he looked good in limited action and in the preseason.

Taylor Bertolet is another dude I saw a lot of down here when he was at A&M and was pretty highly regarded back in the 2016 draft cycle.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of scrap heap FA's. At least the younger ones.
G08
Hall of Famer

Check out Cole Tracy's story... I'm rooting for this kid.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'd love to see Cole Tracy and Josh Lambo brought in to compete.
wab
Mod

Tracy is about as consistent as there is in college football right now. And all the bouncing around he's done shows me that he can handle change/adversity. I hate the thought of drafting kickers, but I'd throw a 5th rounder down on him and see what happens.
WagonForce
MVP

Does anyone else think Parkey might be angling to get released? As it appears that he didn't coordinate with the Bears before going on a freaking talk show in the aftermath of a heartbreaking playoff loss that he played a key role in, that would make him either reckless/extremely out of touch or he knows that it would push the Bears towards turfing him.

The guy hates the traffic he has to battle to practice at Soldier field, he got booed off the field by the fans, is getting roasted in social media. His money is guaranteed, does he want to be cut?
Last edited by WagonForce on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Tracy is about as consistent as there is in college football right now. And all the bouncing around he's done shows me that he can handle change/adversity. I hate the thought of drafting kickers, but I'd throw a 5th rounder down on him and see what happens.
I don't like it either but this is where we are. Parkey is being paid to go away so we have to off-set that with a low round draft pick.

Is the kid worth a 5th? If Pace is fixated on him then I can see him using a 5th. 3rd/4th IMO should be pegged for a RB and OT.

G08
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote:Does anyone else think Parkey might be angling to get released? As it appears that he didn't coordinate with the Bears before going on a freaking talk show in the aftermath of a heartbreaking playoff loss that he played a key role in, that would make him either reckless/extremely out of touch or he knows that it would push the Bears towards turfing him.

The guy hates the traffic he has to battle to practice in Solider field, he got booed off the field by the fans, is getting roasted in social media. His money is guaranteed, does he want to be cut?
Not very Christian of him, is it?

I keed...

I think his agents see the writing on the wall and they are trying to save face.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

PR stunt to pave the way for his new book, "Alive and Kicking"?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

"Kicking it with Jesus"

"Kick the Can't"
G08
Hall of Famer

^ :rofl:

UOK
Site Admin

Jesus prefers the rink.

Parkey's a self-serving gutless fish. He'll probably start a mindlessly boring podcast called "What I Do, Not Who I Am" after he's released before starring in a CLN "Hope Through Failure" reality series.
malk
Head Coach

God is dead but he still hates Parkey.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Richie
MVP

WagonForce wrote:Does anyone else think Parkey might be angling to get released? As it appears that he didn't coordinate with the Bears before going on a freaking talk show in the aftermath of a heartbreaking playoff loss that he played a key role in, that would make him either reckless/extremely out of touch or he knows that it would push the Bears towards turfing him.

The guy hates the traffic he has to battle to practice at Soldier field, he got booed off the field by the fans, is getting roasted in social media. His money is guaranteed, does he want to be cut?
It's not out of the question. I saw a clip of TMZ reporters hounding him after his Today Show interview. He looked like a defeated man. I think he may want to put Chicago behind him.
docc
Head Coach

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote:

It's not out of the question. I saw a clip of TMZ reporters hounding him after his Today Show interview. He looked like a defeated man. I think he may want to put Chicago behind him.
I doubt it because who is going to give him a contract after last season? Yeah he got some money but I am sure he would prefer to keep kicking and his best chance is to at least have a successful preseason.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Robbie Gould on podcast: 'I love Chicago'

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Robbie-Gould-potential-Bears-return-127910872/

I'm starting to warm up to the thought of Gould coming back.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Maybe we can bring in Becca Longo to try-out for, um..... reasons.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd offer him a 2 year, $5M deal. $2M in year one, $3M in year two. Year to year after that.