The Doldrums

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Every year. From mid-January to the mid-March are the worst eight weeks in sports.

-NFL is over (for the Bears)
-College football is over
-Baseball hasn't started
-NBA All-Star break (Bulls suck this year)
-NHL All-Star break (Hawks suck this year)
-Mid-Season college basketball
-Golf hasn't ramped up yet

There is LITERALLY NOTHING interesting to watch on TV in regards to sports.

These are the sports' fans doldrums, and good God are they boring...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And that's why we invented women and whiskey?
skamanfrank
Journeyman

It's a naff time of year for motor racing too :(
cblaz11
MVP

Bulls in the hunt for the number 1 pick is the most exciting thing I have....
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hockey is on. Hawks are down but it has been fun seeing the young improve and Kane kick ass
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Normally, Jan-April is my favorite part of the sport season.

But without any real draft picks

:bored:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:And that's why we invented women and whiskey?
You must not be married ;)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:And that's why we invented women and whiskey?
You must not be married ;)
18+ years, she still hasn't thrown me out, Yet.
UOK
Site Admin

I'll try to watch a bit more hockey here and there, but I can't wait for baseball.

This is the ultra-doldrums this year because there's no Day 1 activity for the Bears draft, so less to get nitty-gritty on. I just got done moving to a new house, so I'm absolutely exhausted from that, coupled with having a few big-picture goals to accomplish with the site and my own personal stuff, there's more than enough to occupy ol' UOK's plate.

Thankfully it's going to be shitting snow for the next week or two, which gives me a nice excuse to relax.
Z Bear
MVP

I live in FL.... this is fishing season! Runs every year for me from about now until Week 1 of the NFL season. Then I don't see my boat for 4 months. If anyone makes it down I would be glad to take you out.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote:I live in FL.... this is fishing season! Runs every year for me from about now until Week 1 of the NFL season. Then I don't see my boat for 4 months. If anyone makes it down I would be glad to take you out.
Ice fishing season here in SD, breaking out the shack and gear for the first time this weekend for me and my son. I am always done with football except for the superbowl when the bears are done, just like I am done with baseball if the cubs get beat out.

Kids have sports, Basketball too, and starting to prep for June fishing trip to Canada.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Z Bear wrote:I live in FL.... this is fishing season! Runs every year for me from about now until Week 1 of the NFL season. Then I don't see my boat for 4 months. If anyone makes it down I would be glad to take you out.
Ice fishing season here in SD, breaking out the shack and gear for the first time this weekend for me and my son. I am always done with football except for the superbowl when the bears are done, just like I am done with baseball if the cubs get beat out.

Kids have sports, Basketball too, and starting to prep for June fishing trip to Canada.

I was roped into going ice fishing with relatives while in high school eons ago ... never saw the appeal as I was freezing my nuts off in some ramshackle shed that smelled like wet old socks
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not an ice fisherman. I like sitting on dry shore casting out. The thrill of drilling a hole in the ice and sitting out in the cold just doesn't do it for me. My sons do it. Hell, even knowing the ice could be a foot thick, still wouldn't trust it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

I was roped into going ice fishing with relatives while in high school eons ago ... never saw the appeal as I was freezing my nuts off in some ramshackle shed that smelled like wet old socks
In the shack with the heater on. Underwater camera, vexilar, radio in a t shirt for me.
wab
Mod

Ice fishing is awesome when you have the right equipment. I haven't been able to do it in years though.

I've casually followed the playoffs, but other than the watching the super bowl, when the Bears are done I'm pretty much done. Have some home projects I want to start. Couple projects going on in my side hustle. Oldest is learning to drive. Middle one has sports. Youngest is taking horseback riding lessons.

My schedule is pretty full. I'd like to figure out a way to take a vacation this summer though.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: I've casually followed the playoffs, but other than the watching the super bowl, when the Bears are done I'm pretty much done. Have some home projects I want to start. Couple projects going on in my side hustle. Oldest is learning to drive. Middle one has sports. Youngest is taking horseback riding lessons.

My schedule is pretty full. I'd like to figure out a way to take a vacation this summer though.

I basically just watched the games vicariously through twitter and otherwise have been chilling. Once the Bears are done, I don't give a crap.

Things on my agenda:
  • Fix my upstairs bathroom fan, which sounds like a ferret has gotten it's entrails tangled into it
  • Donate/Recycle about 120 cardboard boxes, which have formed a corrugated tumor in my garage
  • Organize my garage, which is still in the "you just moved in and thus have piled up all your crap in a few corners" phase
  • Get my girlfriend to unpack the final few boxes in our office which are an eyesore
  • Pay off a massive portion of my car loan
  • Grill meat
  • Drink beer
  • Sleep in a lawnchair in the backyard
Some of those will have to wait for spring, unfortunately. My yard and driveway are ice at the moment.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote: I've casually followed the playoffs, but other than the watching the super bowl, when the Bears are done I'm pretty much done. Have some home projects I want to start. Couple projects going on in my side hustle. Oldest is learning to drive. Middle one has sports. Youngest is taking horseback riding lessons.

I basically just watched the games vicariously through twitter and otherwise have been chilling. Once the Bears are done, I don't give a crap.

Things on my agenda:
  • Fix my upstairs bathroom fan, which sounds like a ferret has gotten it's entrails tangled into it
  • Donate/Recycle about 120 cardboard boxes, which have formed a corrugated tumor in my garage
  • Organize my garage, which is still in the "you just moved in and thus have piled up all your crap in a few corners" phase
  • Get my girlfriend to unpack the final few boxes in our office which are an eyesore
  • Grill meat
  • Drink beer
Some of those will have to wait for spring, unfortunately. My yard and driveway are ice at the moment.
I'm thrilled you guys got a place. It's the best feeling in the world. We moved in November and there's still boxes in the garage. We can only get one car in it right now thanks to the massive pile of Christmas decorations I have yet to put in the attic.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:

Things on my agenda:
  • Grill meat
  • Drink beer
I'm thrilled you guys got a place. It's the best feeling in the world. We moved in November and there's still boxes in the garage. We can only get one car in it right now thanks to the massive pile of Christmas decorations I have yet to put in the attic.
Thanks wab! It's a great feeling for sure. One of our first orders of pre-move business was to go out on 12/26 and 27 to buy up all the clearance Christmas-colored totes so that they could be filled with our decorations and junk. They were labeled and moved unceremoniously down to the basement of the new house, priority 1.

We were hardcore determined not to live out of boxes, so we each took a week off of work to get the move done and violently unpack with utmost haste, and honestly it was probably the wrong thing to do. It made us beyond exhausted and irritable, but now that it's mostly done, it's wonderful, even with so much left still to do.

My GF was militant about the garage, however. She's hyper-protective of her car, and will under no circumstances permit her vehicle to be left in the driveway overnight, so that decision was basically already made.
wab
Mod

What is it about women and their cars. Mine won't let her car sit outside overnight either, but the inside looks like the inside of a dumpster that's parked behind a homeless shelter.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:What is it about women and their cars. Mine won't let her car sit outside overnight either, but the inside looks like the inside of a dumpster that's parked behind a homeless shelter.
HAHA! The inside of my wife's car is a certified toxic waste dump. The only time it ever gets cleaned is when I do it. We switch cars every once in awhile, and I have to clean it, just so I can sit in it. I think she does it on purpose.

I really need to clean my office, but I just can't get around to doing it. Besides, it has that warm lived in feeling.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:What is it about women and their cars. Mine won't let her car sit outside overnight either, but the inside looks like the inside of a dumpster that's parked behind a homeless shelter.
HAHA! The inside of my wife's car is a certified toxic waste dump. The only time it ever gets cleaned is when I do it. We switch cars every once in awhile, and I have to clean it, just so I can sit in it. I think she does it on purpose.

I really need to clean my office, but I just can't get around to doing it. Besides, it has that warm lived in feeling.
THIS!

My wife hates clutter and mess in the house but her car is a dumpster fire. The passenger foot well always has a bag full of coke zero cans and food wrappers (weird as she's skinny) and the rest of the well is full of the other coke zero cans and food wrappers that couldn't fit in the bag. Any time she uses my car there's a bunch of crap left in it (and my car is the only thing I care about being clutter free).

I'm not going to complain too much, I'm punching way above my weight with her, but god damn, it's weird.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)