Five Guys - OL Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I figured I'd start some very early cursory looks at five guys that could be available in the 3rd round (or later). Today I'll start with the OL given all the talk about Massie and Long. Next up will be RB.

Tommy Kraemer, T/G, Notre Dame
6-5 315

I don't know if he's returning to ND, and if he doesn't I think it's probably a stretch that he's available late in the 3rd since some sites have the former 5 star recruit as a potential 1st round pick next year. If he does declare, I can promise you Hiestand will have a lot of positive things to say about him. Kraemer split time at RT with Robert Hainsey but transitioned to RG full time in 2018.

Yodny Cajuste, G, West Virginia
6-4 315

Cajuste played LT at WV, but with reportedly shorter than average arms he's probably going to have to move inside to guard. He's crazy athletic with a prototype build for the position. Did have a torn ACL in 2016, but seems to have fully healed.

Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State
6-6 310

Most draft sites give Prince third or to fourth round grades and peg him as strictly a RT. His not overly strong, but he's got seriously long arms... like 37 inches or something crazy. He's big and raw with athletic ability. I think he's a better prospect than Jamarco Jones, who went in the 5th round to Seattle.

Ryan Bates, T/G, Penn State
6-4 302

Bates is basically a carbon copy of Cody Whitehair. He played inside at guard in 2016 where he really shined, moved outside to both LT and RT in 2017, then played strictly at LT in 2018.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm going to start digging into OL sometime next week. I don't think Massie will be back and I do love that Hiestand will have a huge say in identifying players he views as talented.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Massie not returning could be a good thing. We need to lean on Hiestand's ability to coach and develop young players. We have a few guys on defense (Jackson and Amos) that we need to make sure we have cap room for and Long being injured with that contract and Massie at his cost won't help with that.

I'd be fine drafting 2 OL in this draft.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Good work. I am having trouble even thinking draft this year.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Couple of other OT's worth mentioning that could be available with our first pick (R3):

Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma
Dennis Daley, OT South Carolina
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Chuma Edoga is getting some love at the Senior Bowl... (OT USC)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

EricTighe
MVP

Yet not one person mentioning the behemoth of a man that the Bears are already talking to.

You gotta love his potential though he could be a boom or bust pick but that is were we are at.

My Number one guy right now.

OT Olisaemeka Udoh Elon 6'6" 328