NFC WILD CARD // Cody Parkey ends Bears season.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Parkey just arrived at the Today Show for his interview...

:rofl: :thumbsup: :applaud:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Parkey just arrived at the Today Show for his interview...

Quality. :thumbsup:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
malk
Head Coach

Riddle me this Cody, God doesn't exist, yet he still hates you.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

Not sure I get his reasoning behind a national interview. How many more times can he say I'm sorry I fucked up.

To me the real issue here, and what Pace and Nagy have to consider, is that this wasn't just one bad kick. It was an entire season and preseason of bad kicks and his also his worst year as far as KOR average by a long shot, 24.9 yards. IMHO the bottom line is he is nowhere near the kicker he was as a rookie in Philly and his career year in Miami may be the real outlier not 2018.

In addition to Parkey's seven misses during the regular season and one in the playoffs he was just 8/11/72.7% in preseason and already we began to worry a bit whether or not this kid was any better than Barth or others we've given a shot to. Overall he was 34/45/75.6% in 2018 so nothing improved much if at all during the regular season.

We sent Gould packing after an 84.6% year because Fox said he no longer trusted him and even after shopping the best we could sign in FA we get Parkey's 75.6%. So far he's another Connor Barth but a far more costly one.

It actually gets worse when we review his career stats.

Parkey has made 65 of 70 FGs from 20-39 yards in his career. Nearly 93% accurate. But between 40-49 yards he's just 27 of 39 and only 69.2% accurate. So in a way his "double doink" from 43 yards seems almost pre-destined.

I don't have the yardage figures on all of his goal post collisions. Someone else may know. But I do know and have posted that he had these very same issues in Cleveland where he managed only 80% accuracy and hit the upright on 3 out of 5 misses. So I'd be curious to know how many of his "doinks" came on 40 yard or greater kicks.

Here he's been "wide right" on most of his misses including the "doinks" and from watching him I could see that his kicks naturally tail to the right as they travel. They don't hook back towards center as many soccer style kicks do. His kicks seldom split the uprights but up to a certain distance his natural "slice" still makes it.....until when past 40 yards it doesn't.

His inaccuracy is almost like he only has half the width of the uprights to work with. If he allows for his slice he can pull the ball as he did Sunday and miss left. And if he aims dead center and the ball drifts right each time he struggles with 40 yard plus kicks. The bottom line is beyond 39 yards he's not a very accurate PK at all.

I dunno. Pace and Nagy could say it's just bad luck but the facts tell a different story.
Ormazd
MVP

docc wrote:Image
I laughed. And then I cried.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Parkey doesn't seem to drive the ball like most competent kickers in the league. If he tries to really put his foot into it, its like he over cooks his body, hitting it low and left. If he tries not to over cook it, then he literally blocks it high right. Not unlike golf.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:I looked up what I could on this. Here's what I found.

From the 2018 NFL Rulebook...
Rule 7. Dead Ball... Section 2. Article 1
m. when an official sounds the whistle erroneously while the ball is still in play, the ball becomes dead immediately.
2. If the ball is a loose ball resulting from a fumble, backward pass, or illegal forward pass, the team last in possession may elect to put the ball in play at the spot where possession was lost or to replay the down.
The above shows that the rule is that the offensive team gets the ball where last possessed by Miller. And it says absolutely clearly that a whistle means it's a dead ball. Period.

Rule 15. Officials and Instant Replay, Section 2, Article 5.
If an on-field ruling of a dead ball (down by contact, out of bounds, or incomplete forward pass) is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery, and any advance is nullified.
This rule is unclear, since it doesn't address reversed incomplete with whistle during fumble.

This is a key element from a book called the "Instant Replay Casebook", which I couldn't find online...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This justifies the ruling of incomplete. Note that this rule doesn't change rule 7.2.1.m above that says it's a dead ball based on the "incomplete" whistle, which then can't be recovered. But what this really does is demonstrate that the NFL is making a travesty of the game by having different rules for the same play, one rule if a circumstance is called correctly on the field and another if the play is called wrong initially and replayed.

So as a player... You pick up the ball. Period. Only bad or neutral things can happen if you don't.

I'm not saying go nuts after every whistle, but Miller had to have it in his head "I caught that for a sec" and didn't act on it. That falls on coaching too.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Parkey doesn't seem to drive the ball like most competent kickers in the league. If he tries to really put his foot into it, its like he over cooks his body, hitting it low and left. If he tries not to over cook it, then he literally blocks it high right. Not unlike golf.
Exactly. He has a natural slice which will always been an issue if he can't correct it and it's obvious all of the added practice did not do it. It's a technique issue he needs to figure out and he hasn't.

I gotta be honest. From the very first time I saw him kick I though oh crap we signed another Barth. I was hoping I was wrong but I don't feel that I was. You've nailed all of what I've seen as well.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Hard to believe the Bears will just eat his expensive contract and cut him.

We are in a bad position here.

I am already worried about next year.
WagonForce
MVP

Man, the Bears should be playing this weekend.

Somehow instead the team is already both feet into the offseason with a new DC.

Argh!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm saddened again today. I'm watching these playoff games and the Bears can play with any of these teams. Image
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Yes..and watching kickers actually not hit the poles with regularity.. I think Saints will be the tough match..
Funkster
MVP

Anyone watch the “Cody Parkey field goal challenge”?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I'm saddened again today. I'm watching these playoff games and the Bears can play with any of these teams. Image
Me too. I'm just not watching football until the Super Bowl. I can't do it. I'm focusing on other things. True Detective is coming back on HBO with a new season so I got HBO this morning to keep for a few months so I'll enjoy some of the movies on there and do shit around the house.

We should be fucking playing this weekend. Dammit.

But hey, the future has rarely looked brighter for this franchise. Looking forward to August and September.
MoFugger
Head Coach

This week sucked. I guess for me is as I get older, it seems like the seasons go so fast, and the off-season seems to last forever.
I am proud of the season my team had. But to lose by one point on a missed kick? I did not watch a moment of football on Saturday, and only casually watched three of the eight quarters played today.
Oh well. Time that you're against the Patriots and dust off the fishing poles.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is one sucky time of year. You get in your car and all Bears talk has vaporized. Now it's all NBA... blah, blah, blah... Baseball's coming... blah, blah, blah. I should just put music on, but I'm a non-fiction entertainment guy. Other Chicago talk radio.... meh.Image
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I'm saddened again today. I'm watching these playoff games and the Bears can play with any of these teams. Image
Me too. I'm just not watching football until the Super Bowl. I can't do it. I'm focusing on other things. True Detective is coming back on HBO with a new season so I got HBO this morning to keep for a few months so I'll enjoy some of the movies on there and do shit around the house.

But hey, the future has rarely looked brighter for this franchise. Looking forward to August and September.
First two episodes were DOPE!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Watching some hockey, taking a conceal carry class, checking out some new old music, funk, checking out new blues artists as well. I will listen to the SCORE if they are talking football. When they start talking about anything else it goes off. Hopefully hit up some local high school bball this weekend. Have not dug into reading a book yet, still not there patience wise yet.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

First two episodes were DOPE!
Heck yeah they were awesome! I think this is going to be another great season hopefully on par with season 1.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm not a big TV guy. But I recommend Black Mirror on Netflix. :thumbsup:

G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I'm not a big TV guy. But I recommend Black Mirror on Netflix. :thumbsup:
Fun show, some episodes I loved and others were just terrible.

Did you do the choose your own adventure one yet? Bandersnatch is the title.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I'm not a big TV guy. But I recommend Black Mirror on Netflix. :thumbsup:

Bandersnatch was awesome. I loved that concept.

I keep hearing great things about Black Mirror. I've only watched a couple besides Bandersnatch. The one episode that is my favorite is Metalhead.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:

I keep hearing great things about Black Mirror. I've only watched a couple besides Bandersnatch. The one episode that is my favorite is Metalhead.

I hope they have many more items like Bandersnatch ... I thought it was great

(takes about 3 hours to go through ll possible scenarios)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:

Most people I talk to say their favorites are "San Junipero" or the Star Trek one, but I really like Metalhead, as well. I can see why some don't like it, but I think it's a very underappreciated episode.

I felt like Bandersnatch was a more interesting experiment than anything. The fragmentation of the story by choosing certain paths and then going back and choosing others made it hard for me to really enjoy the story as a cohesive whole. I love that they did it, though, and I can see some good uses for that type of interactive media.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:

I HATED that episode!!

G08
Hall of Famer

BearButtseks wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:

Most people I talk to say their favorites are "San Junipero" or the Star Trek one, but I really like Metalhead, as well. I can see why some don't like it, but I think it's a very underappreciated episode.

I felt like Bandersnatch was a more interesting experiment than anything. The fragmentation of the story by choosing certain paths and then going back and choosing others made it hard for me to really enjoy the story as a cohesive whole. I love that they did it, though, and I can see some good uses for that type of interactive media.
Okay explain this to me because I thought it was just awful.

San Junipero was good, my favorite was probably "Hated in the Nation"

LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:

Okay explain this to me because I thought it was just awful.

San Junipero was good, my favorite was probably "Hated in the Nation"
A lot of why I like it has to do with the aesthetic. It's in black and white, which I thought was a really good choice - it is sort of evocative of older horror movies, while at the same time it's dealing with a very modern/futuristic concept. The robots themselves look a lot like some of those ones created by Boston Dynamics, so it also feels like it could be a very realistic scenario. It's pretty quiet, and I like the tension created during the episode. The plot isn't anything special, but it felt very reminiscent to a Jason/Freddy/Invincible monster movie, which I liked.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The first one I watched was "Shut Up and Dance" and I was so tense by the end, I needed to go roll my shoulders for a couple minutes. You have to love a show where you're so sucked in and going... What the hell are they going to make these guys do next?... so intently that your muscles lock up. I highly recommend that episode.

Hated in the Nation was also my favorite. I like shows where wild stuff plays out and you're going "Holy sh*t, that could actually happen!"

Metalhead was also good in a similar way.

Bandersnatch was interesting because the one character professed that life is nothing but limited choices and you get to live the irony of that throughout the episode, remote in hand. I'd say that one was OK, but not as good as the two above. Mrs. Five didn't like it tho.

docc
Head Coach

I have a lot more time to work in my shop..on the 53 Studebaker and my 53 Jaguar.and my notorcycles.

My shop gets neglected during Bears season..but now I watch whats left of the season in my shop.
Started cleaning it last week,,in this brutal 65-70* weather..

A good cigar..a brew and my machines. After Super Bowl there's Blackhawks (down yr) Bulls Tanking) and wait for the Cubs..
Trimmed the collection last year..too much too deal with..