Robbie Gould ranked among ESPN’s 50 best pending free agents

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Robbie Gould ranked among ESPN’s 50 best pending free agents
The San Francisco 49ers have a decision to make with regard to kicker Robbie Gould following a strong 2018 season. He is one of the most accurate kickers in the league, and given the issues kickers have had this past year, having a safe option for field goals and extra points really can’t be overvalued.

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert put together a ranking of the top 50 free agents heading into the 2019 league year, and included Gould at No. 50. Here’s what he had to say about Gould’s situation :

It’s not often that kickers find their way onto a list like this, but Gould was the NFL’s best in two seasons with the 49ers, leading the league with 72 field goals and a 96.0 conversion rate. As for his age: There were 20 players older than him in the league last season.

Age is not really a concern at this point. He could lose it all at some point, similar to what happened to David Akers, but for the time being there is no reason to think it would be a problem retaining him for 2019 and beyond.

Gould played the past two seasons on a $4 million deal that included $3.5 million in total base salary and a $500,000 signing bonus. That deal ended the 2018 season ranked 18th in average per year and 17th in average guaranteed money per year. Stephen Gostkowski is No. 1 at $4.3 million per year, while Justin Tucker is No. 1 at $2.7 million per year in guaranteed money. Gostkowski is 34 and Tucker is 29.
I think he would look very nice in a return to Bears blue
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Too expensive. Get one of these hot shots coming out of college in the 6th round or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Can't afford to pay Parkey top $ and Gould top $ at the same time.

One of the 2 7th rounders will be used.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Just reading espn article on Dave Toub, probably the greatest special teams coach ever, he said he would never draft a kicker. Give him UDFA and let him read how they are and their psyche.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Toub would know.