Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

The NFL announced Monday that the Bears’ road game against the Oakland Raiders in 2019 will be played in London.

The date, time and venue for the contest will be revealed in conjunction with the release of the full NFL schedule this spring.

It will be the third regular-season game in Bears history played outside the United States and the second contest in London.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... on-in-2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Goddammit.
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah. Not a fan.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I AM A MASSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FAN OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Now, I appreciate why you guys might not be a fan, I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise- not my place. Also, I have only been to one NFL game in America (Miami at Texans this year), so I will not attempt to compare it to a regular game, BUT I will say this:

The NFL London games are EXTREMELY well supported, by an ever growing, increasingly more football-intelligent fan base. They are supported and attended by young and old alike. As someone who has had a season ticket for about 5 years now, I can confirm that the experience is fantastic with an incredible atmosphere- if you're thinking about coming over DO IT. It will be great. I would also say that it's come a long way from the early days of the International Series

On a more personal note- I'm only a Bears fan because my Dad is a Bears fan. Neither of us have seen the Bears play before (didn't make the first London game), so I will of course be renewing my season ticket and absolutely cannot wait.
UOK
Site Admin

For sure, I'm delighted for all our BFO UK peeps!
LacertineForest
MVP

I'm fine with it - Hell, who know where the hell the rest of the "Oakland" home games will be played next year anyway. So long as the game is scheduled in a way that it won't be too difficult on the team (i.e. before the bye week), then it should be fine. At least it's against a team like the Raiders.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I hate it, but it's good for any Bears fans across the pond and at least they're not taking away one of our home games.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

This is a nice bonus for me. We had already planned to visit Chicago and take in an away game (possibly Washington depending on schedule) but this means the possibility of a third game only a few hundred miles away which makes me very happy.

Especially in our Super Bowl Winning Centenary year:)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yea for UK fans! And technically, I like it because it's a non-home game for one of our away game opponents, if that makes any sense. Nevermind that the Raiders will probably stink in 2019.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
britbear
Player of the Month

I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
IotaNet
MVP

britbear wrote:I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Thought about you as soon as I saw the post. Glad you'll get a chance to enjoy the Bears in person.
Have a pint for me! :toast:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
britbear
Player of the Month

IotaNet wrote:
britbear wrote:I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Thought about you as soon as I saw the post. Glad you'll get a chance to enjoy the Bears in person.
Have a pint for me! :toast:
Thanks mate. Just the tricky issue of getting a ticket now. Need to keep my ears close to the ground. These NFL International Series tickets sell out VERY quickly.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

As a West Ham fan, the prospect of having to go to White Hart Lane is the worst bit ;) :D :-P
Buffaloaf
Rookie

Mikefive wrote:Yea for UK fans! And technically, I like it because it's a non-home game for one of our away game opponents, if that makes any sense. Nevermind that the Raiders will probably stink in 2019.
This was my initial reaction as well. There's a good chance the Bears have a larger international following than the Raiders, so this is an away game that could have a home game feel for the players. At worst, the Raiders lost home field advantage in this matchup (which probably didn't matter in this matchup anyway).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Yep. It looks like Tony Romo might be the new golden boy though. And I can stomach him and Jim Nantz a lot better than Buck and Aikman.
britbear
Player of the Month

skamanfrank wrote:As a West Ham fan, the prospect of having to go to White Hart Lane is the worst bit ;) :D :-P
Haha!
Funkster
MVP

Not going to lie, I’m a little pissed about the bears playing the raiders in London. Being a west coast (Seattle) bears fan I was pumped when I saw the rams and raiders as next years away games. I was planning on going to both, now they lay this crap on me.... :flick:
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Yep. It looks like Tony Romo might be the new golden boy though. And I can stomach him and Jim Nantz a lot better than Buck and Aikman.
Total agreement. Romo calls a great game. Works for me to have him broadcast a few of ours.
Bearfacts
MVP

skamanfrank wrote:I AM A MASSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FAN OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Now, I appreciate why you guys might not be a fan, I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise- not my place. Also, I have only been to one NFL game in America (Miami at Texans this year), so I will not attempt to compare it to a regular game, BUT I will say this:

The NFL London games are EXTREMELY well supported, by an ever growing, increasingly more football-intelligent fan base. They are supported and attended by young and old alike. As someone who has had a season ticket for about 5 years now, I can confirm that the experience is fantastic with an incredible atmosphere- if you're thinking about coming over DO IT. It will be great. I would also say that it's come a long way from the early days of the International Series

On a more personal note- I'm only a Bears fan because my Dad is a Bears fan. Neither of us have seen the Bears play before (didn't make the first London game), so I will of course be renewing my season ticket and absolutely cannot wait.
Good you chimed in on this. As much of a nuisance as travel can be from experience I do know the Bears have a lot of Brit fans and I get tired of people thinking only the Packers or Cowboys have international appeal.

Long distance travel is one price some teams pay for success.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

I went to the last London game against the Bucs and had a hell of a time. If you have the means to go it's so worth it there's so much to do and they really go all out there for the games. One of the best times I've had...

At least it's against OAK and not a div rival with all the time change and losing home field for a team.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

malk
Head Coach

Goddamnit, the first season after I move out of London!

Still, easier for me to travel down there on the train than it is to fly to Chicago...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Total agreement. Romo calls a great game. Works for me to have him broadcast a few of ours.
He's become very good.

When he started, I was not initially a fan. He's polished now, however.