2018-2019 Hawks Season - Redemption

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hawks O is cranking so far this season. Helluva offensive game last night. Kaner was on fire and Toews is looking like 2010-13 Toews so far.

The goal keeping :frustrated: Cam Ward better get his head out of his azz. He is not totally to blame but some of the shit he has let get by :sick:

Now Saad has to wake up a little and the Hawks could have something here.

Come on CROW!!!
UOK
Site Admin

I'm loving the resurgence of play from the captain, and the proficiency of the 'Hawks to get pucks on net and be in FRONT of the damn net for those cleanup goals; something they've almost entirely forgotten how to do the last couple years.

I don't trust Ward, and I don't trust Crawford, but if you're capable of scoring 5 goals a night, you can make amends.
docc
Head Coach

Toews and Kane..get them going it brings the rest of the team up..Saad..and IF goal keepers play decent..

It could be a fun season then
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

5 games, 5 OTs, WTF? Getting pumped for the game this Sunday against the Lightning. Taking wife for her Bday. Just realized I will probably miss Bear game as I will be traveling up to Chitown. Could be a good thing. Last game I was on the road during was Tampa game.
UOK
Site Admin

I can't believe how much the Blackhawks lost the Saad 2.0 trade. I thought Saad's return would be ideal, considering Hossa's quasi-retirement and that lack of a big bodied agile scorer who could double down on defense was suddenly looking like it wasn't so absent.

Then Saad doesn't really have the vision anymore. He's not even remotely himself out there, so much so that he's a healthy scratch. I hope he remembers the game soon, because they need him badly.

Not as badly as they need a healthy Corey Crawford, but still - badly.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Was at the game last night and I can say the 2nd period was the worst hockey I have ever seen in my lifetime. TB had 33 shots in the 2nd period!!! That D is lacking big time. They looked slow (not sure how much impact playing the night before had). Seabrook is done. I think it is time to take some lumps and let the young kids play and figure this game out.

Never heard the UC so quiet as it was during the 2nd period. It was really bizarre.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Had the misfortune of spending money and attending the game against the Lightning on 10/21. What a putrid friggin effort that night. They give up 33 shots in the 2nd period!!!!!! Son of a bitch, some teams don't get that many in an entire game. Ended up leaving midway thru the 3rd. Missed their mini comeback, didn't care.

Last night they looked like a completely different team. Crow is looking good. 2-0 in his 2 starts back.

Fuck Cam Ward. D seems to suck big balls when he is in goal. Saad finally woke from his slumber and Kaner keeps scoring.
UOK
Site Admin

It was a nice win in a young season that doesn't seem to indicate they'll be anything less than a mercurial bunch. I'm glad Saad finally got a goal, and his celebration after was nice to see. He's needed it.

I'm not ready to bag Cam Ward but he shouldn't be playing anyway. Crawford is the end-all, be-all of any success this franchise has in 2018/19.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

CROW!!! Shit he looks good and the team looks a lot better in front of him. Another good team win. I like the way some of the young guys are playing. Fortin, Gustaffson, The Cat. Kaner keeps scoring as well.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I find it hard to even get interested in hockey until December ... doesn't matter if they are doing good or bad

so Saturday Dec 1st @ Nashville is when I will wake up to what they're up to ... and I have tentative plans to actually be at that game thanks to a friend's wedding being in the area - I might get the groom's ticket

so while he is off getting jiggy with his new wife, I may be holding fort to scream like a maniac for the Blackhawks in his stead
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I keep up with the Blackhawks via highlights, The Athletic, and their beat writers, watching only the odd game or two anymore. Just don't have time to watch every game like I used to. Lot easier to stomach that when they're staring down a rebuild.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The ship is sinking. They have a lot of dead weight on this team. Just had a conversation with a Hawks fan. Told him I was disappointed they resigned both Toews and kane when they did. Hard for me to say, but wished they would have traded one prior to signing or had something worked out. With all the other bad contracts Bowman has put out there, it is going to be hard to rebuild. Hell Trade Toews now, would not bother me
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:The ship is sinking. They have a lot of dead weight on this team. Just had a conversation with a Hawks fan. Told him I was disappointed they resigned both Toews and kane when they did. Hard for me to say, but wished they would have traded one prior to signing or had something worked out. With all the other bad contracts Bowman has put out there, it is going to be hard to rebuild. Hell Trade Toews now, would not bother me

The Schmaltz trade is, uh, alright I guess. Kane was pretty visibly pissed about it. Every time he finds chemistry with someone they trade them away.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Schmaltz was just kind of a body this year. His play took a dip this year. I think he was just there. Not sure what happened to him, he lost his aggressiveness on the O end.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Fucking Hawks continue to give up early goals and get behind early!!
UOK
Site Admin

I fully anticipate a tidal wave of change this offseason. It's going to be a lot of bittersweet goodbyes.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My GAWD!! I sit and watch this team and think to myself, WTF happened and how did it happen so fast? Just wow. I then think to myself, the young guys are learning. Then I question why are some of the old guys playing so much? It is just strange. Shit is cyclical but damn they fell off fast. Bowman has set them up to fail for awhile with some of the contracts.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

How about that, a W!!!!. Ward plays a helluva game, we actually saw some D played and they actually won a game they should have (Preds on the back end of back to back games on the road). They have started to show a little with the good game against the Jets (a 4-3 loss). Still really inconsistent and the young guys need to start getting their heads out of their asses.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It has been a little over 2 weeks since there has been a post here. I can say I like the way they have been playing of late. The D still suffers long lapses of "head up the ass" syndrome but they have been fewer. Delia is showing he belongs in the NHL and to be honest, I would really like for him to be the main goalie. Stromme has shown he can play and he and Kane have shown some chemistry. I am still hating on Seabrook. The guy is just, slow, bad and they need to get rid of him somehow. Keith is a little better, but it is time for him to go as well. Turn this over to a youth movement.

Kane, hot as hell. He would be the piece I would keep because the guy can just flat out score. I think the team will get it turned around some and be more respectable.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Really nice game last night. they killed off 2 5 on 3s and technically were 1-3 on their power play (scored 2 goals within seconds of Penguins gaining even strength).

Kane and Stromme seem to have some chemistry growing.

Hawks continued to dominate the Penguins, haven't lost to them since 2014.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If I haven't said it before, I will say it now, I HATE FRIGGING 3 ON 3 OT BULLSHIT!!!! I just don't see why the NHL thinks this is good for the game. Granted peeps probably think I am saying this after the last 2 OT losses but didn't like it from the get go. The Hawks seem to be a team that this rule favors with Kane, Toews, The Cat and talent years past, but it sucks. One mistake and the goalie is under pressure. Get rid of it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kane is killing it!! 5 straight multi-point games. 64 pts in 47 games. He is on fire.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Blackhawks turn to ‘nuclear line’ with Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews
With the Blackhawks staggering through a five-game losing streak and the season sliding into insignificance, coach Jeremy Colliton went into the lab and played mad scientist with his lines.

He poured this tube into that one and mixed names in a beaker until sparks flew, smoke rose and bolts of lightning cracked across the sky. A profound idea emerged in his moment of genius: Put his two best players together.

It’s a forward combination some playfully refer to as the ‘‘nuclear line,’’ and the elements include Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. It’s highly dangerous, as the Capitals saw when Toews (three) and Kane (two) combined for five goals in the Hawks’ 8-5 victory Sunday.

Eureka.

‘‘It makes the game simple,’’ Kane said after practice Monday. ‘‘It’s not like you have to think too much or even talk too much about what we want to do. We just want to work hard, win battles and play well defensively. If we do that, we should get a lot of chances.’’

Colliton would be crazy to split them apart now. And while he definitely tinkers with the lineup, he’s not crazy.

:thumbsup:

keep em together and good things happen ... I know the Capitals didn't appreciate them figuring it out against them
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Drake Cagguila is reaping the benefits as well. New, young guy, getting to play with a couple of superstars.
"You come to the rink and you see your number next to two Blackhawks legends, it's a pretty cool thing," Caggiula said. "It's a little extra special for me because I grew up idolizing those two players. The biggest reason why I went to North Dakota was because of Jonny Toews. And I used to watch Patty Kane's highlights on YouTube and then go in my basement and try to copy them. It's pretty special to come in the room and see your name is beside theirs."
Hey, 2-0 since they went nuclear :headbang:

I am enjoying watching the young guys. There is some promise here. Gustaffson, Kahun, Kampf, Forsling, Delia, Cagguila, Jokiharju (sp).....
UOK
Site Admin

There is promise, it's more of a matter of the organization having some care and grace about navigating the final years of their core.

Time and time again the Blackhawks have played to "loyalty" over hockey evaluation. Bringing back Sharp, Oduya, Kruger, Saad, Morin, among others, none of which have panned out; over-rewarding Bickell and Seabrook for their pasts without being rational about the future.

Then at the same time, they fire Quenneville and promote Collinton, which is itself both a sign of loyalty and a breach of trust.

I dunno. They've got things going for them, but this offseason will be very telling.
cblaz11
MVP

Lose for Hughes!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:There is promise, it's more of a matter of the organization having some care and grace about navigating the final years of their core.

Time and time again the Blackhawks have played to "loyalty" over hockey evaluation. Bringing back Sharp, Oduya, Kruger, Saad, Morin, among others, none of which have panned out; over-rewarding Bickell and Seabrook for their pasts without being rational about the future.

Then at the same time, they fire Quenneville and promote Collinton, which is itself both a sign of loyalty and a breach of trust.

I dunno. They've got things going for them, but this offseason will be very telling.

I am still of the opinion Quenneville should not have been fired ... those 3 Stanley Cups should have been more than enough collateral to buy him more time to work through the issues

and the truth of the matter is some of the issues are not / were not his to clear up ... being hamstrung on payroll would seem to me to be right in the lap of the GM not the Head Coach

this is worth reading (from back in November) :

The murky side of the Blackhawks firing of Joel Quenneville
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

5 IN A ROW BABY!!!!!!!! This team has gotten kind of fun to watch. Kaner keeps tearing it up. Gustaffson has came on and has played really well. STromme has played well also. I am kind of digging this Cagguila kid.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:Lose for Hughes!

Column: Let's not make a deal: The Blackhawks are playoff contenders and need to act like it
Don’t do it, please. Don’t be upset the Blackhawks are making a run at the playoffs.

Resist the urge to be anything less than thrilled that Patrick Kane is playing like a man possessed, that Jonathan Toews has recaptured a prime that appeared to be gone, and that the Hawks’ power play is practically a sure thing.

Resist feeling conflicted when Erik Gustafsson is blasting overtime goals from the point like a youthful Brent Seabrook, when veteran Cam Ward and rookie Collin Delia are taking turns standing tall in the net or when Alex DeBrincat snipes another wrist shot past an unprepared goaltender.

Resist the idea that coach Jeremy Colliton doesn’t have the Hawks believing in themselves.

But above all, resist being in any way angry that the Hawks are winning. That’s the cardinal sin of fandom. Don’t go there.

I’m sorry if your dreams of drafting Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko are being interrupted by real life, but the fact is the Hawks’ charge toward the playoff is happening and it needs to be seen through. The talk of the Hawks being sellers as the Feb. 25 trade deadline approaches needs to be shut down.

Nobody should be going anywhere, at least not for the time being. General manager Stan Bowman should let his fellow GMs know he’s hitting the pause button until he knows exactly what he has on his hands.

Things are tenuous enough that the Hawks’ flirtation with the playoffs could go up in a puff of smoke by next week. There will be losses here and there, of course, but even a two-game losing streak can do irreparable damage when you’ve been as bad as the Hawks have been most of the season.

Remember as well that the Hawks are batting six other teams for a single wild-card spot. It's not enough to finish ahead of a few of them, they have to finish ahead of all of them.
I'm enjoying this resurgence and would think it would be great for them to sneak on in ... because when they are in the playoffs, they will be dangerous
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I cannot stand the mentality of losing for draft picks. If you ever played sports, could you purposely play like shit to lose? HELL NO!!! No professional athlete, certainly not an entire team is going to mail in a performance to lose.

These guys are on fire. Will it last? Who knows, but they are beating the teams on their schedule at the moment. Are they the top tier teams getting beat? No, but these same teams were the ones beating the Hawks earlier in the year.

The young guys are showing some improvement. The D is still bad, especially effin Seabrook. This guy's decline has been quick and drastic. He looks like he is skating thru cement.