Bears hire Chuck Pagano to be Defensive Coordinator

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Kevin Fishbain
‏@kfishbain

Per @caplannfl, Bears LBs coach Glenn Pires won’t return.

Waiting on Ed Donatell and defensive line coach Jay Rodgers.
I REALLY don't want to lose Jay Rodgers. I'd rather not lose Ed Donatell.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Kevin Fishbain
@kfishbain

Per @FootballScoop, the Bears are “exploring hiring" Kansas State’s recently-hired defensive coordinator Ted Monachino, who worked with Chuck Pagano in Baltimore

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Kevin Fishbain
@kfishbain

Per @FootballScoop, the Bears are “exploring hiring" Kansas State’s recently-hired defensive coordinator Ted Monachino, who worked with Chuck Pagano in Baltimore
As what? DB coach?
wab
Mod

I hated that 2011 Ravens team, so having a good chunk of the defensive staff makes me feel icky.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I hated that 2011 Ravens team, so having a good chunk of the defensive staff makes me feel icky.
Why?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Why did I hate them? No real reason. I just don't like the Ravens.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

So, is this Monachino going to pull a Kingsbury?
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
Kevin Fishbain
@kfishbain

As what? DB coach?
With the Ravens he was an OLB coach for 2 years and linebacker coach for 4 years. Final two years in the league he was Pagano's defensive coordinator in Indy.

So linebackers I would think. Maybe he takes Glen Pires job and Rob Ryan coaches the outside backers?

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I figure anyone Nagy signs off on as someone he can work with and can get the job done is good enough for me
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BearsGuy
Rookie

Knuckles wrote:I was really worried when Fangio was hired as HC of Denver because I expected the Bears to do the good old boy thing as usual and hire someone that might not be the right guy but is a good pal to someone in power. I'm glad however that they went out and got the right guy for the job once again. I don't think this defense misses a beat next year and might be even more fun to watch. I like the idea of blitzing a little more and creating more opportunities for our LBs and Ss to get in on the action. There's just so much talent there.

They might take a little longer to gel this season just because there's going to be some new stuff they'll need to get used to but overall I think they might be a little scarier to play against.
This is organizational awareness and strength here. Lots of orgs in the NFL would do the easy thing and get someone who has no business in a particular role because of connections.
Funkster
MVP

Boris13c wrote:I figure anyone Nagy signs off on as someone he can work with and can get the job done is good enough for me
Love the simplicity of this post!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I still don't know what to think of hiring Pagano. The Baltimore connection is great, but did he only have one year as DC? I don't get too worked up about the Indy thing because I don't think he had the players.

My mind was focused on Mike Nolan and Rex Ryan so Pagano came from left field at me. Hopefully he does even better than Fangio and there's a chance of it because the longer this unit sticks together and gels the better they'll be. We've also got some VERY PROMISING young guys (Jackson, Amos, Nichols, Roquan, RRH, and I'm sure I left out a few) that will only continue to get better.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:I still don't know what to think of hiring Pagano. The Baltimore connection is great, but did he only have one year as DC? I don't get too worked up about the Indy thing because I don't think he had the players.

My mind was focused on Mike Nolan and Rex Ryan so Pagano came from left field at me. Hopefully he does even better than Fangio and there's a chance of it because the longer this unit sticks together and gels the better they'll be. We've also got some VERY PROMISING young guys (Jackson, Amos, Nichols, Roquan, RRH, and I'm sure I left out a few) that will only continue to get better.
I do wish he had a greater sample size as being a defensive coordinator. In Indy, his defensive talent was awful and it showed on the field.

Still, his players LOVE him and play hard for him, so I can't hate on that. Selfishly, I hope he's a better game planner and play caller than he is a good human being.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:I still don't know what to think of hiring Pagano. The Baltimore connection is great, but did he only have one year as DC? I don't get too worked up about the Indy thing because I don't think he had the players.

I do wish he had a greater sample size as being a defensive coordinator. In Indy, his defensive talent was awful and it showed on the field.

Still, his players LOVE him and play hard for him, so I can't hate on that. Selfishly, I hope he's a better game planner and play caller than he is a good human being.
Pagano supposedly likes to blitz a lot and that plays to a strength of ours. Imagine being a QB and genuinely not knowing if either Mack, Floyd, Roquan, Trevathan or a DB is coming and then using the others as decoys. We have the personnel for his blitzing schemes to be very successful.
jamus34
Journeyman

I didn't want to team to go anywhere near either of the Ryan brothers. Rex is a blowhard failure and while I did like Rob in his Oakland days his later career stops left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Nolan would have been interesting but in all honesty I have no idea what he's been doing the past 5 years or so.

Can't say I'm displeased with Pags. He didn't do great as a HC but he was saddled with a lot of hurdles; plus his own health battle.
wab
Mod

I'm lukewarm on Pagano. His defenses were terrible in Indy, but Grigson didn't do him any favors...the defensive players he drafted were terrible.

All of his draft picks were pretty terrible. Which I suppose is why he's no longer the GM.

But once Arians left, the Colts went from a perennial 11-5 team to an 8-8 and 4-12 team.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with Pagano. Right now anyway. There were a lot of downward trending things happening in Indy that make it really hard for a 1st time HC guy. With the speed of our LBs and our DB's ability to match up man-to-man, this could be a really fun defense.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I think Pagano is probably a great hire from a 2019 perspective.

My concerns are about going forward, as he is well thought of in the league and is already being interviewed for head coaching spots. I expect our defense will do well again this year and Pagano will be a top candidate for the 6 or 8 spots that come available in 2020. So I expect to be having this same conversation next year. After listening to the players talk about how great it was to be in the same system for the 4th year in a row and how they were finally really getting it, to be potentially changing systems again next year seems a big risk to take. Especially as that will be right in the middle of our Super Bowl window.

That's why I liked the idea of Donatell. I doubt'd he'd be going anywhere anytime soon.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm lukewarm on Pagano. His defenses were terrible in Indy, but Grigson didn't do him any favors...the defensive players he drafted were terrible.

All of his draft picks were pretty terrible. Which I suppose is why he's no longer the GM.

But once Arians left, the Colts went from a perennial 11-5 team to an 8-8 and 4-12 team.
To be fair. Luck has been injured for the last two years. He's finally just coming back into form. Their OL was a train wreck for three years, and they lost some important starters on defense. I'm not sure it was Pagano's fault.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I have been warming to the hire as time has gone by. Not sure if it the sport's fans version of Stockholm Syndrome (start to like them as a hostage fan) or because I keep reading positive articles about him. I wish I saw a longer track record of success in one spot, but as many have said the talent in Indy during his time was weak. I really do like the idea of both sides of the ball shared the attacking mentality. My ONLY gripe in the Fangio years was the tendency to go into soft prevent mode with every lead in the 4th and let the other team eat clock and move slowly down the field, often to score some points in tight games. Our talent is well suited to a style that blitzes a bit more, or could have a variety of different players capable of blitzing from different positions and formations. I also worry about him jetting after the season to be an HC again. Perhaps hiring Ted Monachino as "senior defensive assistant", as well as OLB coach, is meant to be someone to groom up for that possibility?
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like he will be introduced at Halas Hall tomorrow (Thursday).

I look at it like he knew how to keep a good thing going his one year as DC in Baltimore. Hopefully he can do the same here.

skamanfrank
Journeyman

Heads up- Chuck Pagano will apparently be on the Pat McAfee show (podcast) Thursday/Friday.
G08
Hall of Famer

Chicago Bears
@ChicagoBears

Chuck Pagano's first press conference as #DaBears DC will begin approx. one hour from now at 10am CT.

You can catch it live on http://ChicagoBears.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , in our app, on Facebook and right here on Twitter.

G08
Hall of Famer

Rich Campbell

Verified account

@Rich_Campbell
3m3 minutes ago
More
New Bears DC Chuck Pagano just finished his intro presser.

He said he'll put the onus on himself in meshing his terminology with what Bears used under Vic Fangio.

He described an aggressive defense that'll "wreak havoc" by rushing 4, simulating pressure & calculated blitzes

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He will continue to run the Bears’ 3-4 scheme under a teaching philosophy he called “K.I.L.L. — Keep It Likable & Learnable.”
:toast:
wab
Mod

Bears DC Chuck Pagano not interested in again being head coach
12:19 PM CT
Jeff Dickerson
ESPN Staff Writer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano said Thursday that he's not interested in any future NFL head-coaching jobs.

"I'm not. I've done it," Pagano at his introductory news conference.

"I'm motivated to just help coach Matt Nagy be successful. Help this organization be successful. Help these kids grow and develop. That's my motivation is to be the best I can be for this organization, for the McCaskey family, for Coach Nagy and for these players and for these coaches and help develop these guys. That's the only thing I want to do."

Pagano, 58, coached the Colts for six seasons (2012-17), winning two AFC South titles (2013, 2014) while making three consecutive playoff appearances (2012-14). He was fired with a 53-43 regular-season record and a 3-3 mark in the postseason.

Indianapolis rebounded to reach the playoffs last year under first-time head coach Frank Reich. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who missed the entire 2017 season and battled injuries throughout Pagano's final three years, started all 16 regular-season games and passed for 4,593 yards, 39 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Luck led the Colts to an opening-round playoff victory over Houston before Indianapolis lost to Kansas City in the AFC divisional round.

"I am better, not bitter," Pagano said. "We had a great run, great experiences together. I was a lot better coach when No. 12 [Luck] was under center than I was when he wasn't, you know, and that's well documented. He probably got me a few more years than I may have deserved. I always say that. My wife is going to kill me for saying that, 'just don't say that.' I just keep it real. But it was great to see Andrew back.

"There was a time there that he thought he was never going to play again and we had a lot of tough, critical conversations, you know, because he is such a great teammate and such a great competitor. The NFL is better when he is on the field, and I think we all saw that. It's great for the game, it's great for him, it's great for that organization."

Pagano worked as an NFL consultant last season. He said that a year away from coaching allowed him to "reset, recharge and reflect."

The coaching veteran takes over one of the league's best defensive units. Chicago's defense led the league last year in yards per play (4.78), points per game (17.7), takeaways (36) and interceptions (27).

"Our vision for this defense is to be the best," Pagano said. "Can we be the best in the history of the game? The pieces are there, and they will continue to add pieces. Can we continue to be better than we were last year? Absolutely. It's going to be very, very difficult and a huge challenge, but one we will be up for."
G08
Hall of Famer

God if he can be a stud DC for Nagy and our Bears for the next 10+ years....

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Bears DC Chuck Pagano not interested in again being head coach
12:19 PM CT
Jeff Dickerson
ESPN Staff Writer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano said Thursday that he's not interested in any future NFL head-coaching jobs.

"I'm not. I've done it," Pagano at his introductory news conference.

"I'm motivated to just help coach Matt Nagy be successful. Help this organization be successful. Help these kids grow and develop. That's my motivation is to be the best I can be for this organization, for the McCaskey family, for Coach Nagy and for these players and for these coaches and help develop these guys. That's the only thing I want to do."

Pagano, 58, coached the Colts for six seasons (2012-17), winning two AFC South titles (2013, 2014) while making three consecutive playoff appearances (2012-14). He was fired with a 53-43 regular-season record and a 3-3 mark in the postseason.

Indianapolis rebounded to reach the playoffs last year under first-time head coach Frank Reich. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who missed the entire 2017 season and battled injuries throughout Pagano's final three years, started all 16 regular-season games and passed for 4,593 yards, 39 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Luck led the Colts to an opening-round playoff victory over Houston before Indianapolis lost to Kansas City in the AFC divisional round.

"I am better, not bitter," Pagano said. "We had a great run, great experiences together. I was a lot better coach when No. 12 [Luck] was under center than I was when he wasn't, you know, and that's well documented. He probably got me a few more years than I may have deserved. I always say that. My wife is going to kill me for saying that, 'just don't say that.' I just keep it real. But it was great to see Andrew back.

"There was a time there that he thought he was never going to play again and we had a lot of tough, critical conversations, you know, because he is such a great teammate and such a great competitor. The NFL is better when he is on the field, and I think we all saw that. It's great for the game, it's great for him, it's great for that organization."

Pagano worked as an NFL consultant last season. He said that a year away from coaching allowed him to "reset, recharge and reflect."

The coaching veteran takes over one of the league's best defensive units. Chicago's defense led the league last year in yards per play (4.78), points per game (17.7), takeaways (36) and interceptions (27).

"Our vision for this defense is to be the best," Pagano said. "Can we be the best in the history of the game? The pieces are there, and they will continue to add pieces. Can we continue to be better than we were last year? Absolutely. It's going to be very, very difficult and a huge challenge, but one we will be up for."
That's some big stuff right there. If he's in the ballpark with Fangio as a DC, we could be talking some incredible serendipity there.

sturf
Journeyman

I'll believe Pagano isn't interested in being a head coach again when he is declining interviews, but I appreciate him killing the storyline in that way for now. Awesome if it is true.

I will admit Pagano's saying he would learn the language actually gave me pause because it reminded me too much of Trestman getting jobs in part because he would agree to learn the offense language instead of the players. Or Mel Tucker getting the job because he would supposedly keep Lovie's language. At least Pagano was talking about playing his style of defense instead of trying to mimic Fangio.

I did learn Todd Bowles was Pagano's assistant DB coach with the Browns. So that's at least one person that Nagy could talk to get some insight on Pagano. Overall I think I trust Pagano to at least be a leader and motivator of the defense. How good he actually is at defensive strategy and play calling we will see.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m excited to see a similar scheme with the aggressiveness turned up a notch...

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/108 ... 74432?s=20

Granted, Vic is a wizard at disguising coverages. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pagano isn’t quite as strong there. But hopefully some more pressure will make that a wash.