Bears sign Massie to 4 year extension

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

No details yet....

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 62304?s=20

My guess is between 6.75 and 7.25 aav. Third highest paid right tackle is at 7.7. His old aav was 6.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Being 4 years, my hope is it front loaded with more bonus and Massie wanted to be here, 5.5 to 6.5 aav.
cblaz11
MVP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... =undefined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amos next?

I like this, but it comes down to the guarantees. He’s 29, I’m hoping we have an easy out after year 3.
Bearfacts
MVP

Probably a little less than Leno's deal which gtd. about $21.6 mil and avgs. $9.25 mil annual. Something in the $7 mil per year range. Spotrac should have some number soon.

Does this mean Amos may be the odd man out or will it be Callahan?

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... 128325417/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

"Bobby has been an important part of our offensive line the past three years and has shown steady improvement during that time," Pace said. "Bobby has a tremendous work ethic and has displayed the kind of toughness and consistency we want in our players. More importantly, he is a great teammate and we're excited to keep him in the fold."
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:Probably a little less than Leno's deal which gtd. about $21.6 mil and avgs. $9.25 mil annual. Something in the $7 mil per year range. Spotrac should have some number soon.

Does this mean Amos may be the odd man out or will it be Callahan?
I’m not sure, and I don’t know what this tweet is referencing either....

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 04130?s=20
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 63776?s=20

This is why I thought he might be the most likely to resign of the 3, when I wasn’t paranoid he was going to get badly overpaid because of the weak market.
G08
Hall of Famer

I had to do a double take when I saw this on TV... I'm assuming Hiestand signed off on the move so I'm good with it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BR0D1E86
MVP

WagonForce
MVP

I have no idea what the free agent market will look like at tackle, but with the team's limited draft capital this year I like the idea of signing Massie.

My guess is we see a very similar team overall going into next season at the starting positions with the new additions shoring up depth and hopefully developing moving forward.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's the one I thought was most likely and necessary
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfacts
MVP

If HH believed Coward has the tools to eventually start my guess is Massie's deal will keep him here for two years like many others we've done. By year three his dead cap will only be a fraction of his salary and he can be released if need be.

This move would seem to be an indication RT won't be the first position Pace will look to fill in the draft.

The video of Amos may have been taken in Mobile. I would imagine Pace and his guys along with Nagy and his coaches are there for the Senior Bowl.
cblaz11
MVP

Massie had zero holding penalties and only one false start last year.

Only 5 teams gave up less sacks last year then the Bears. Returning all 5 starters on the oline, all 11 starters plus our 3rd WR...I’m excited for year two in this system. Also, We should get more out of Miller, Daniels, and Shaheen next year.
GSH
MVP

so is this bye bye to callahan?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Rappaport is reporting it’s worth over 8 million per year. If it’s 8, it’s not terrible. Maybe a hair over what he’s worth these days, but with the cap rising it will be reasonable by year 2 or 3.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/108 ... 79360?s=20

[URL][
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

BR0D1E86 wrote:Rappaport is reporting it’s worth over 8 million per year. If it’s 8, it’s not terrible. Maybe a hair over what he’s worth these days, but with the cap rising it will be reasonable by year 2 or 3.

[URL][
Lock up the current best available RT, who also is already on your team and invested in your system, for slightly above "what he's worth" without calculating for a rising cap. I'm going to say good for continuity, and he can probably play inside later in his career if it comes to that.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:That's the one I thought was most likely and necessary
Yup. I'm on record with that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Rappaport is reporting it’s worth over 8 million per year. If it’s 8, it’s not terrible. Maybe a hair over what he’s worth these days, but with the cap rising it will be reasonable by year 2 or 3.

[URL][
I thought it would be $10M with the rising cap. So I'm fine with $8. That leaves us with I believe $12M left, plus cap inflation.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

I didn't see any way we could go into a season we genuinely intend to contend for the Super Bowl without a proven option at right tackle. Pending the final numbers I'm very happy with this, just hoping we don't sign a bunch of deals that absolutely shut the window once Trubisky gets a 2nd deal.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

Smart move even at $8 mil per year. I figured closer to $7 mil but with the cap nearing $200 mil and rising another mil to keep the OL intact won't break the bank with Whitehair still on his rookie deal for 1 more year and Daniels for 3 years.
cblaz11
MVP

Mikefive wrote:

[URL][
I thought it would be $10M with the rising cap. So I'm fine with $8. That leaves us with I believe $12M left, plus cap inflation.

We’ll have more room once we cut Sims and Acho...another 8 mill I believe.

We only have 4 WRs under contract and 2 TEs...our front line talent is coming back which is great, but I’m curious to see what we do at WR and TE. I’d love to see Brown and a draft pick at TE, and Bellamy and a draft pick at WR.

We’ll see how much Bellamy wants...
Funkster
MVP

Pace is doing a fantastic job. If he feels Massie is pivotal to the bears success and paid him as such, I’m down. I’m just hoping there is enough to go around for Smash and Callahan.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think Amos and Callahan are gone with this signing. I just don't see the money being there with everyone else they have to bring back or replace on even small contracts.
cblaz11
MVP

Agreed on Amos...I think Callahan will be cheaper then most think and could still be back.

That said, we may not need to add many starters, but we have a lot of role player roles to fill.
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:I think Amos and Callahan are gone with this signing. I just don't see the money being there with everyone else they have to bring back or replace on even small contracts.

It’s a bit early, they could easily make room for both. Simms will free up some $ and I think they will do something with Kyle Long.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
cblaz11
MVP

Not factoring in Amos and Callahan...

We have to sign a 4th rb, 2 WRs, 2 TEs, and OT and OG, a DT, OLB, and punter.

Most will probably be returning players, but they will still cost money.
Bearfacts
MVP

Factor into cap calculations the high probability that Massie's deal isn't like his last one where his salary was a straight $6 mil per year. This one may include some signing bonus and possibly a future roster bonus so his first year cap hit could be anywhere from say 75% to 85% of his $8 mil average annual cost. Maybe $6-$7 mil.

The same should also be true for Amos and Callahan if they can be resigned. The use of a signing bonus that's amortized against the cap over the life of the deal (25% each year in Massie's case) and a lower first year salary with increases each following year is how teams even with less cap manage to keep their own UFAs.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I’m fine with it, as long as it’s effectively a 2 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would assume Pace is setting these contracts up so when trubisky comes due in a few years they don't have to jettison everyone as well.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I’m fine with it, as long as it’s effectively a 2 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many are these days or at least those we can control. Typically all or the majority of the guaranteed money comes in the first two years leaving only the remainder of the signing bonus still on the books only for cap purposes and that "dead cap" is typically far less than the year 3 salary.

When we have to match another offer as we did in Fuller's case we lose that control so it does make sense to reach out to those UFAs early and try to re-sign them before they hit the open market. Pace should be looking at Amos and Callahan next looking to cut similar cap friendly deals.

For once we may finally have a huge advantage as far as keeping our guys around. Being on the verge of becoming a perennial playoff team helps a whole lot.