Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

Gould at Penn State: 39 for 61 (63.9%) on FG's - 115 for 121 on PAT's (95%)

Jones at Tulsa: 50 for 67 (74.6%) on FG's - 169 for 172 on PAT's (98.3%)

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote:I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
It definitely is not out of the realm of possibility. Who knows with kickers.

Keep running UDFA's through until one sticks. I would never draft one.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

It’s possible. Who knows with kickers? I just hope they bring a few more in and let them battle it out. We need nice competition.
Richie
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:

It’s possible. Who knows with kickers? I just hope they bring a few more in and let them battle it out. We need nice competition.
Agreed 100% my man
G08
Hall of Famer

So apparently this dude has put on 15 lbs of "position-related muscle", changed his mechanics and I guess altered his footwear to give him what they've determined to be his optimal performance as a kicker. He's been working with John Carney:

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... l-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Gould kicked at Penn State which I would imagine can mess up your accuracy % kicking in those conditions. I remember reading that Belicheat was attempting to stash him for a year working construction with his dad and was pissed when the Bears signed him. I think they had an agreement of sorts, but the Bears showed him the money. I'm hoping this Jones kid works out. You can't have a better guy in your corner than Carney.
LacertineForest
MVP

Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I wouldn’t t be against it except you are probably looking for a kicker again in a season or two due to his age being 43+
G08
Hall of Famer

BearButtseks wrote:Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
83.7% career kicker outdoors
89.4% career kicker in a dome

I'm honestly good with Jones and one or two UDFAs battling it out.

wab
Mod

These current Bears are not the team that signs a 43 year old kicker.
LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
83.7% career kicker outdoors
89.4% career kicker in a dome

I'm honestly good with Jones and one or two UDFAs battling it out.
I was wondering about the indoor/outdoor split - doesn't seem like he would be a great fit between that and his age.

I didn't necessarily mean that I thought the Bears would sign him, but having more veteran options on the table is always a good thing, and I think bodes well for the Bears in terms of being able to get a quality replacement. I guess you could look at the flip side and say that you've added another team in need of a K to the list, but I bet some of them go the draft route whereas I doubt we're willing to spend draft capital to address the position considering the lack of picks we have.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I want the kicker with the fewest "Most Honorable Player" awards.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
Parkey was a pro bowl kicker as a rookie. Then he got hurt, missed a year, rehabbed in Cleveland, and was on the uptick in Miami. He was a pure potential signing, but he was a bust.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

Parkey was a pro bowl kicker as a rookie. Then he got hurt, missed a year, rehabbed in Cleveland, and was on the uptick in Miami. He was a pure potential signing, but he was a bust.
And when Pace makes up his mind to attack a problem, he swings for the fence. In his mind, Parkey looked like an arrow pointing upward guy and he took the big swing. Sometimes, you miss.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

And when Pace makes up his mind to attack a problem, he swings for the fence. In his mind, Parkey looked like an arrow pointing upward guy and he took the big swing. Sometimes, you miss.
I partially blame Tabor for this move as well, all accounts is that he vouched for Parkey having worked with him in Cleveland.

This is a big whiff by Pace, mostly for me in the $$$ department.

Bearfacts
MVP

We'll see soon enough but getting lessons from a guy who made 83% of his FGs kicking in a domed stadium doesn't impress me either.

But we have to start somewhere so it might as well be with Jones. He won the tryout battle.