Bears hire Chuck Pagano to be Defensive Coordinator

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

To me the biggest thing Pagano can leverage on this defense is the double teaming of Mack. Is he going to move Mack around a lot from side to side or even in the middle? Use him as a decoy and then blitz the ILB next to him? I know the defense was very successful last year but it looked like Mack had a few extremely dominant games but then came the double teams.
sturf
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote:To me the biggest thing Pagano can leverage on this defense is the double teaming of Mack. Is he going to move Mack around a lot from side to side or even in the middle? Use him as a decoy and then blitz the ILB next to him? I know the defense was very successful last year but it looked like Mack had a few extremely dominant games but then came the double teams.
At least Pagano has experience with what Baltimore did with a similar player to Mack in Terrell Suggs.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:
Umbali wrote:Well, he should have to learn our terminology etc..why teach the whole D when you can just make the coach learn? :P

Hope it works out
Disagree

He’s the DC, trust him to do his thing. Asking the coach to come in and “fit in” is what got Mel Tucker into trouble. He was running half of his D and half of Lovies. Nobody was on the same page.
Good coordinators don't come into the #1 defense and change a bunch of shit just to stroke their ego. Chuck is considered a players' coach, so I don't expect him to muck up too much. But almost every defense will change their calls from year to year (and game to game for divisional opponents), or teams will know what the defense is adjusting to and where the blitz is coming from. The oly calls that stay the same are the Payton Manning "Omaha" dummy calls.
I agree in the fact that you should identify what players had success doing what and you try to keep them in similar roles. That said, you get into trouble if you tell a coach to run someone else’s defense.

Fangio was great at disguising his coverages just enough to give the front 4 an extra second to get to the QB. He was also great at very rarely allowing plays over the top. They kept everything in front of them. When you have a more aggressive defense, that opens you up to big plays. In today’s NFL, I want Vics style over a blitz heavy D. I’m hoping Pagano agrees.

Rely on 4 man pass rush with occasional blitz

Preach keeping everything in front

Preach all 11 guys swarming to the ball

Flip coverages to ensure QB is always unsure
Good to hear Pagano in his presser say that e's going to learn the terminology that the Bears used instead of making them all learn something new. This is what good coaches do.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Hoge wrote:While Bears coaches were given last week off, I’m told new defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano was busy at Halas Hall working on his new defense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Gotta unwrap and get ready to play with all these shiny new toys.
G08
Hall of Famer

I love it, deep dive into the tape and see who on your roster excels at what and make sure to emphasize that.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS