Update: Kareem Hunt signs w/ Browns

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

..and Kareem..grow the fuck up.

Your situation in life can be one any person your age would certainly like to have..

Don't throw this away..
As we used to say in Music Biz..
Money hates you..and your "friends" are there so long as the money's there..

The Magic Penis
Usually just got a lot of $$
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:I want to think that the kid is good hearted and would be able to turn it around but man there is a lot of smoke around him with numerous incidents. I know most are alleged but people who are generally good don't get in multiple alleged incidents and there is also talk that if any of the other incidents turn out to be true it is going to be more than 6 games, possibly a season.

Dude is accused of 3 incidents in a 7 month span, that isn't accidental, it's a pattern.

It's pretty simple to not get in trouble:

- don't start fights
- don't party with assholes that start or like to fight
- don't jump into a fight you didn't start
- don't hit women, period, unless they are coming after you with a weapon of some sort
- don't do drugs
- if you do get in a fight partying, don't go do it over again and again
Yes and no. I had a guy in college that trouble just followed. He was just someone that never backed down, and could back up anything he said. He got hit in the head with a baseball bat as we were all heading into a bar one night. If we hadn't kinda held him back (we were hanging on but the guy could've walked through us if he completely lost it), he probably could have killed the punks that platooned him.

Some people that have had to fight and claw their way just to survive, let alone succeed, don't react rationally when confronted. Hunt definitely was in the wrong for his actions/reactions, but I hold a different candle to putting down an aggressive female in his face vs. battering an emotionally weak and frail girl behind closed doors. (which is the core of domestic violence IMO).

And like I said in a previous post somewhere...if the guy can show he can control himself and stay away from booze/drugs (which is what tends to be involved when players get into trouble), then I have no problem giving him another chance.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
AZ_Bearfan wrote:The core of leadership in this current locker room is pretty amazeballs. He really couldn't find a better fit..... plus, we're really good at football. That's gotta count for something in his mind.
I honestly don't give a shit what we do the rest of this off-season / the draft if we bring in Kareem Hunt.

I'll be bold enough to say he's the missing piece on our offense and will make us exponentially better the second he touches the field.
Which probably won't be until November.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
AZ_Bearfan wrote:The core of leadership in this current locker room is pretty amazeballs. He really couldn't find a better fit..... plus, we're really good at football. That's gotta count for something in his mind.
I honestly don't give a shit what we do the rest of this off-season / the draft if we bring in Kareem Hunt.

I'll be bold enough to say he's the missing piece on our offense and will make us exponentially better the second he touches the field.
Which probably won't be until November.
Fine with me, man. This is a nod to 2020 and beyond more than 2019. Anything we get out of him next season is a bonus.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:Dude is accused of 3 incidents in a 7 month span, that isn't accidental, it's a pattern.
This is what I keep coming back to as well.

I get that he could be a troubled kid.
I get that he could turn things around.

But if you don't learn your lesson at some point, you're just gonna keep making the same mistakes.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:Dude is accused of 3 incidents in a 7 month span, that isn't accidental, it's a pattern.

But if you don't learn your lesson at some point, you're just gonna keep making the same mistakes.
Accused is the operative word here for me... zero charges filed against the kid.

BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m conflicted on it. The only one of his incidents I know anything about is the one with the video. He shouldn’t have reacted how he did, but the female half was hardly innocent either. All those incidents so close together paint the picture of a guy with some sort of substance (probably alcohol) abuse issue going on.

If he’s legitimately taken care of it, I’m not going to freak out if they sign him. I also won’t lose any sleep if they don’t want the headache.

It sucks that it will be at the expense of Jordan Howard, who by all accounts is a hell of a good guy. But that’s pretty much a done deal anyway in my mind, so it doesn’t really play into the decision making for me.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The way I would approach this guy is to point out what has happened to him and tell him loud and clear that if he doesn't change his LIFESTYLE right NOW, he's going to end up being one of those guys who could've been great and made millions, but didn't. He needs to change his definition of what BEING A MAN is. Being a man isn't punching someone out or making them pay for an insult. Any stupid fool can do that. Being a man means going to work every day and being big enough to walk away from anything stupid. ANYTHING. Also, avoid public clubs and partying with people he can't trust 100%.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Mikefive wrote:The way I would approach this guy is to point out what has happened to him and tell him loud and clear that if he doesn't change his LIFESTYLE right NOW, he's going to end up being one of those guys who could've been great and made millions, but didn't. He needs to change his definition of what BEING A MAN is. Being a man isn't punching someone out or making them pay for an insult. Any stupid fool can do that. Being a man means going to work every day and being big enough to walk away from anything stupid. ANYTHING. Also, avoid public clubs and partying with people he can't trust 100%.
Honestly, if the Bears sign him, they'll have all of the leverage in the event he messes up. There would be a zero tolerance policy - no contract guarantees. If he doesn't agree to that, then he can sign somewhere else. There are plenty of RB's in the draft that we can get in R3 or later. If he agrees to a low risk, high reward contract - then I'd be all for taking a chance on him because of his talent level and his fit in Nagy's scheme.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

Accused is the operative word here for me... zero charges filed against the kid.

Exactly! I think his biggest issue is being young, famous and wants to be out having fun in public places. Sometimes that puts people like him in bad situations. I bet after all of this, he’s learned to keep a lower profile. With that said, I’m still having doubts he’ll end up in a bears uni.
Last edited by Funkster on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

Exactly! I think his biggest issue is being young, famous and wants to be out having fun in public places. Sometimes those situations puts people like him in bad situations. With that said, I’m still having doubts he’ll end up in a bears uni.
I go back and forth... I really want him to be on our team but he's got to get clearance, we have to see how long his suspension is, it's going to be poor optics at first, etc. Lot of red tape.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

Exactly! I think his biggest issue is being young, famous and wants to be out having fun in public places. Sometimes those situations puts people like him in bad situations. With that said, I’m still having doubts he’ll end up in a bears uni.
I go back and forth... I really want him to be on our team but he's got to get clearance, we have to see how long his suspension is, it's going to be poor optics at first, etc. Lot of red tape.
My guess is 6 weeks with time served. He definitely fits Nagy’s mold for a back and is the type of back that this offense is missing. I can picture him and wims on the field and the offense going off.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

Exactly! I think his biggest issue is being young, famous and wants to be out having fun in public places. Sometimes that puts people like him in bad situations. I bet after all of this, he’s learned to keep a lower profile. With that said, I’m still having doubts he’ll end up in a bears uni.
The thing is with these guys who have gotten away with all kinds of stuff because they were great athletes... They have a tendancy to fall back into that. All their life changing stuff (college success, awards, drafted into NFL, NFL all star) happens because of what THEY accomplish. And they're like... I've done all this, now I want to go out and have fun too! I think putting limits on that for guys who came from bad situations is not easy for them to do. I hope he can manage it. But I'm just not at all sure. Having a lot of good guys around him should help. You just never know though.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

The thing is with these guys who have gotten away with all kinds of stuff because they were great athletes... They have a tendancy to fall back into that. All their life changing stuff (college success, awards, drafted into NFL, NFL all star) happens because of what THEY accomplish. And they're like... I've done all this, now I want to go out and have fun too! I think putting limits on that for guys who came from bad situations is not easy for them to do. I hope he can manage it. But I'm just not at all sure. Having a lot of good guys around him should help. You just never know though.
I don't think he's some POS punk kid, though. At least not from what I've gathered and heard from people who know him/played with him.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I really want to believe he could be a good guy, not only due to his talent but in just wanting to believe one could dig out of his family history and environment to be a great success story.

Having a father, brother, 2 uncles and 4-6 cousins (depending on the article) either in prison or having had served long felony terms for drugs, robbery, aggravated assault, domestic assault and manslaughter gives one pause with these incidents and being suspended in college.
Funkster
MVP

Kareem Hunt was just signed by the browns.
UOK
Site Admin

Breaking now - Hunt signs w/ Cleveland Browns.

@RapSheet
now
The #Browns signed RB Kareem Hunt to a 1-year deal that could be worth more than $1M not factoring in the suspension, source said. More than the minimum. After this year, he’ll be an RFA.
wab
Mod

Interesting. They already have Duke Johnson and Nick Chubb.

(Coincidentally Johnson would be a fantastic fit in this offense.)
G08
Hall of Famer

Ah fuck. Well I know what I'm digging into for the draft!

Funkster
MVP

I know a lot of people were opposed with him coming to the Bears but I feel he would have been the sure piece needed to take this offense to the next level. I also thought there was enough personal relationships in Halas hall to persuade him. I guess Dorsey had a better recruitment spiel. Ohh well, on to the next one!
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I know a lot of people were opposed with him coming to the Bears but I feel he would have been the sure piece needed to take this offense to the next level. I also thought there was enough personal relationships in Halas hall to persuade him. I guess Dorsey had a better recruitment spiel. Ohh well, on to the next one!
I think the Browns were the quickest to the table with an offer. The other teams that were interested were still doing due diligence. I'm assuming he wanted to get on a team before the rush of the offseason began.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

There is always 2020. This guy was looking for a sure thing and he got it from the Browns. I think the connections to the Bears was overplayed.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:I know a lot of people were opposed with him coming to the Bears but I feel he would have been the sure piece needed to take this offense to the next level. I also thought there was enough personal relationships in Halas hall to persuade him. I guess Dorsey had a better recruitment spiel. Ohh well, on to the next one!
I think the Browns were the quickest to the table with an offer. The other teams that were interested were still doing due diligence. I'm assuming he wanted to get on a team before the rush of the offseason began.

Agreed. Sounds like the contract is a lot lower than I was expecting at a little over a million. As crazy as this sounds he’s set to make more money this season than if he didn’t get cut. Then have another chance at free agency after the season. I was pro Hunt to the bears but realistically the bears are not in a position to have a lot of cap wrapped up in the running back position. I don’t think Pace will be interested in 2020, my bet is he will be looking in the draft.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We have millions upon millions for Sims, Long and Parkey, but we don't have $2M to pay this guy despite his abilities and knowledge of the offense?

We have to draft a RB now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think the org. was done doing their due diligence. I am glad they just didn't jump in. What does it say he didn't wait for an offer from Nagy? I don't know, but I think most assumed he would be coming here. Bears worried about perception, I don't mind at all.
MoFugger
Head Coach

So?
He is a good running back, he is not a great running back.
This is not Ezekiel Elliott or Melvin Gordon.
I hope hunt does very well with the browns. More so, I hope he does very well in life.
But I refuse to look at this is some kind of missed opportunity. standing here right now, I would have no problem saying that Jordan Howard could be a 1400 yard rusher with this team.
docc
Head Coach

I believe this indicates Bears value Howard and want to use him in a counterpoint to the normal RPO.. Jordan improved his hands..now learn to power with a complementary blocking scheme..
Funkster
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:We have millions upon millions for Sims, Long and Parkey, but we don't have $2M to pay this guy despite his abilities and knowledge of the offense?

We have to draft a RB now.

Unfortunately that’s why the bears don’t have any cap right now. They’re working with about 6 million before cuts and need to do something with Amos and/or Callahan. Hunt would’ve been nice but they also would’ve had to pay up after next season. The best situation is to find a player like Hunt without the price tag.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I believe that his willingness to lie to his team paired with the multiple incidents--however minor--were enough to scare the Bears away. Assuming Biscuit and Nagy and Hunt have relationships as reported, I wholeheartedly believe that Hunt directed his agent to call the Bears before he signed with Cleveland. And we said NO. And I'm not about to criticize them for it.

docc
Head Coach

Too bad..dam Pace..
At worst he could have been a backup kicker..