Bears 2018 rookie class graded as one of best in NFL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears 2018 rookie class graded as one of best in NFL
Ryan Pace’s success in the NFL draft has been a big reason for the Bears success.

The team’s home-grown talent is developing and bolstering the roster on both side of the ball, even in their first season.

The 2018 class of rookies produced a few starters and a few more regular contributors, receiving an “A-minus” grade from NFL.com’s rookie grades.

“Few clubs reaped a better haul from the first two rounds of the 2018 draft than Chicago,” Jeremy Bergman wrote.

The writer was complimentary of the Bears first three picks in particular, with Roquan Smith, James Daniels and Anthony Miller all playing big roles in the team’s breakout season.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Agreed.. Great draft..after all those awful years..
wab
Mod

I'd wager that this is the best three year stretch of drafts the Bears have had in their modern NFL history.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, you have to admit that the Bears successful drafting bar wasn't really set that high ... that said, the past couple of draft classes have been exceptional and the failed efforts of previous regimes doesn't take away from that
George Carlin
Buffaloaf
Rookie

wab wrote:I'd wager that this is the best three year stretch of drafts the Bears have had in their modern NFL history.
What year are you considering the beginning of the modern football era? I'm mostly only asking for perspective on your comment.
wab
Mod

Buffaloaf wrote:
wab wrote:I'd wager that this is the best three year stretch of drafts the Bears have had in their modern NFL history.
What year are you considering the beginning of the modern football era? I'm mostly only asking for perspective on your comment.
Free agency era. So 1993.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:
Buffaloaf wrote:
Free agency era. So 1993.
Could be. 98-00 had some big hits too. Urlacher, Mike Brown, Edinger, Marty Booker, Holdman, Colvin, Tony Parrish, Olin.

Problem was the early picks included Mcnown and Enis. Could have been phenomenal if they’d hit on those.
Z Bear
MVP

Pace was suspect his first year, but has been strong since. Now that he and the coach share the same vision of the team he should do even better. 2021 draft will be stud filled.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

It's one of the first ones in recent memory where right after the draft everyone seemed to be really excited and then to have it play out the way we all expected - was also very gratifying. I think most draft media outlets had the Bears anywhere from an A's to A minuses and then when the Bears actually took the field, Smith, Daniels and Miller were terrific contributors and the future is extremely bright for them.
Never Die Easy
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Compared to the last 5 drafts prior to Pace's arrival, he is a freaking rock star.

Overall I would say he has done well and is trending into the upper tier of the league GM's at this point.
Bearfacts
MVP

Pace has done well. Especially with his 2nd round picks but Floyd, Trubisky and Smith have all been 1st round need picks who've shown up ready to play and have also shown growth as players.

I'm also excited about last years draft class.

The entire group made the team. Nichols and Wims both look like late round score and only Fitts lacked making any contributions so far. He has some tools but he's raw and could get better with some good coaching.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Draft History:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /draft.htm

I can see that. We'd have to go back to some of the Angelo drafts and then the late 70s / early 80s where they were building the Super Bowl team. Just looking at the Angelo years, I don't see a draft, let alone three in a row, with the depth that Pace has done.

The 1981 through 1983 period sets a high bar, but that's well over 30 years ago.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

It's pretty early to grade a draft, but yes this is a promising draft. Don't be surprised if a player or 2 digresses next year. That's not preferred but could be natural.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:It's pretty early to grade a draft, but yes this is a promising draft. Don't be surprised if a player or 2 digresses next year. That's not preferred but could be natural.

George Carlin