For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Mostly fluff... but it's something.
Adrian Amos has been “talking back and forth” with Bears
Posted by Josh Alper on February 20, 2019, 8:57 AM EST

Getty Images
Safety Adrian Amos came in at No. 14 on our list of the top 100 free agents in the NFL this offseason, but he may not make it all the way to free agency.

Amos said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that the Bears have “been talking back and forth” with his representatives and indicated that they want Amos to remain in Chicago. The 2015 fifth-round pick has started 56 games over the last four years and is coming off a strong 2018 season that featured 73 tackles, two interceptions and a sack.

“I would like to be back, but the business part of it, it’s complicated sometimes,” Amos said. “Things still could happen, but I have to be prepared for all scenarios. I’m not writing anything off and that was the team I was drafted to as well. There could be a chance that I’m back and there could be a chance I’m anywhere. That’s the crazy thing about this situation where my contract’s up so anything could really happen. I’m just sitting back and really waiting to see what happens.”

If Amos does hit the open market, there will be speculation about rejoining former Bears defensive coordinator and current Broncos head coach Vic Fangio in Denver. Amos said “obviously that would be a fit” before reiterating that his focus is now on finding a way to stay put.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

He isn't instituting the "gotta do what's best for my family" mantra, so it sounds like he'd stay for a decent contract, but probably won't settle for an overly cheap offer. There's a few guys that could be released next year and get us a little more cap relief, so a creative contract might be in the cards if he's amenable.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Funkster
MVP

These articles always crack me up. They basically say nothing. The last sentence is hilarious “Amos said “obviously that would be a fit” before reiterating that his focus is now on finding a way to stay put.” Finding a way to stay put? It’s called don’t over inflate yourself and don’t money chase. It’s not like it’s some secret map that only Indiana Jones can figure out.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Like I said, mostly fluff.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Most do money chase and I can't blame them. Their careers are short and they will more than likely retire with some sort of health/medical problem.
wab
Mod

Sometimes it sucks seeing good players leave your team (this doesn't happen to the Bears often because it's been a while since they've had good players) but I don't blame them for getting every nickle they can, while they can.
G08
Hall of Famer

Amos or Callahan... pick one: go
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Amos or Callahan... pick one: go
Amos
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Amos or Callahan... pick one: go
Hard to say without knowing what Amos is asking. With that said, I’m leaning towards Callahan do to how much the bears are in the nickel. He locks it down and I believe his asking price will be team friendly. If Amos is to high they could always fill that spot with a player like Mathieu without much(if any) drop off in production. I think Mathieu, Jackson Callahan, Fuller and Prince would be a very scary DB corps.
Last edited by Funkster on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Draft Sheldrick Redwine and keep Callahan.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will say Amos based mainly off the fact that he is available the majority of the time. Callahan seems to be an injury waiting to happen. McManis played well behind that front 7 the Bears have. I am not saying start McManis, but I think it is evident that many could be capable behind what the Bears have upfront.
wab
Mod

I'll take the guy that's started all but 4 games in his career over the guy that hasn't finished a complete season in the same time span.

Someone is going to pay Callahan like a starter, and I'd prefer it to not be the Bears.

This isn't a slight on Callahan, but I don't know why everyone forgets that the Bears have been looking for consistency at the safety position for a decade but have had success with like 5 undrafted slot corners.
sturf
Journeyman

The Nickel is a starting position argument makes sense if you are comparing it to a rotation DL position that gets listed in the starting lineup. It doesn't make sense when comparing the position in free agency to the other defensive back positions that play every snap of the game if not injured. As will the team's ILB in most games.

Amos you are paying to be on the field 100% of the time. Callahan is being paid to be on the field 55-60% of the time, and he has never come close to that for a season because of injuries. Undrafted and late round picks become effective nickel backs far more often than even strong safeties.

I believe in letting them both test the market and hope maybe one comes back at a decent price. NB, SS, and the 3rd starting DL are the defensive positions that I don't think the Bears can spend money at going forward. If I had to choose between Amos or Callahan, I would pay Amos because he's actually on the field all the time both from a position and injury standpoint.
G08
Hall of Famer

Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.
Couldn’t agree more!
Z Bear
MVP

Amos might not get as much as you think, this is a weird year and there is a lot of free agent safety talent available. Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Haha Clinton-Dix, Honey badger and LaMarcus Joyner are all as good as Amos. Amos is not even in the top 10 tacklers of the FA safeties this year!
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I would like to keep Callahan but his durability is a real concern. I wouldn't pay him big money. I'd also love to keep Amos but I don't think he's going to come cheap either. Out of the two, it appears Callahan will be the cheaper alternative in terms of the cap, so I'll go with him. I also believe Nickel corner has more positional value in today's NFL over SS.
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

Can't understand why Amos gets so little love? Having someone as solid as him allows players around him to take more chances. Now if the team thinks Bush can replace him, and he's looked promising, then I'll be sad to see Amos go but will understand... except that Bush is only contracted through 2019.

If we had time to groom a safety then I'd trust Pace to draft one but our window is now. I also trust Pace a lot less in free agency so that makes me hope for Amos even more.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bad Flanders
MVP

Between the two, I'd take whoever was willing to stay for less. Theoretically that would be the safety position but between Cal's injury history and Amos's name, rep, and stats... they are probably close right?

I get the feeling that someone will open the big checkbook for Cal in the hopes he can stay healthy and on the field. There just aren't a lot of options at CB in FA right now.

And I get the feeling safeties will be undervalued this off-season - there are a lot out there; Collins, Amos, Dix, Thomas, Joyner and a pretty large group of second tier guys too... a guy like Geathers could be a fit in Chi as he wouldn't have to be as strong in coverage with Jackson on the other side.

Amos won't get what he should, he's still young enough though, he could stay on with Bears for a shorter term deal, build up even more stats and reputation, and cash in for more later. But if someone opened the big check book for him right now, I don't think they'd be over-reaching and he should certainly take it.

All of that means Amos won't get what he probably could in other years.
cblaz11
MVP

I’d pay Amos 6-8 million per year...

I wouldn’t pay Callahan more then 3...the guy is a good player, but he can’t stay healthy. Also, it’s a lot easier to find talent at nickle for cheap then safety.

Amos is a very sure tackler, he’s rarely out of position, and he’s someone who can flip from an in the box safety to center field(granted, he’s not a true center fielder, but he can and has done it). There are a lot of strong safeties who cannot do that. Based on all he has done, along with our past struggles with the position, keeping him over Callahan is a no brainer.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.
Except the Bears have had no problem finding slot corners.

Demontre Hurst, Crevon LeBlanc, Sherrick McManis, Bryce Callahan, and Jacoby Glenn all have levels of success in the slot in the Bears system.

Callahan was clearly the best of the bunch, but I would argue that there isn't much drop-off between these guys.

Amos is always on the field, always in position, and always available. Callahan is only one of those things.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I mean... if there was ANY argument for the Bears to pay Callahan it would probably be that list you just put up wab...

Pace just doesn't draft CB's... I think Hall was listed as a CB in the combine, but other than that, Pace has only brought in FA's (and undrafted FAs). And I'd argue that Callahan was the only real diamond in the rough there, maybe LeBlanc I guess but I don't know. Prince A has been great and I guess better than what I thought we'd get out of a journeyman guy like that, but he was a big name coming out of college and it's not like it's a shock he can play.

On the other hand, Pace definitely drafts safety pretty damn well considering Amos and Jackson have been about the best tandem in the league from the first day they were on the field together and they are both his.

I'm not saying I really think that it will be a big issue, it's not that Pace has swings and misses, he's barely swung at all and they've all been pretty long shots and in that respect I agree with you, he's actually had pretty okay success. And I've become a Pace believer, I think the guy can spot talent just about anywhere and can't imagine he can't find it at corner.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'll take the guy that's started all but 4 games in his career over the guy that hasn't finished a complete season in the same time span.

Someone is going to pay Callahan like a starter, and I'd prefer it to not be the Bears.

This isn't a slight on Callahan, but I don't know why everyone forgets that the Bears have been looking for consistency at the safety position for a decade but have had success with like 5 undrafted slot corners.
Exactly.

We're talking about a slot corner. If I had to choose between having arguably the best safety combo in the NFL or keep my slot corner, put me down for having the best safety combo in football. We can draft a slot corner.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... drian-amos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amos may be pulling ahead in a crowded field
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Umbali
MVP

Callahan. There are plenty of good safety choices available
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
UOK
Site Admin

@thekapman
Great stuff on how Eric Weddle ended up signing with the Rams. @mmqb says the Bears "were chomping at the bit" to have him in Halas Hall first. His price tag was 5 million plus incentives. Sounds like Adrian Amos was not the Bears first choice.
UOK
Site Admin

Brad Biggs:

Don't know where but sounds like Adrian Amos has a deal with a team and he will not be returning to the #Bears, That's what multiple sources have said. We'll see how it pans out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

All players want to stay until a better offer comes along.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I am fine with Bush starting and possibly a solid vet backup, which is what I think we might be looking at if Amos goes. The safety market has exploded a lot dollars wise, considering the depth there, but their are some others that are ok.

I think our DB's do benefit greatly by the amount of pressure the defense can apply which makes their stats look much better and creates a lot of errant throws or mistakes.

Jackson and Fuller are the two that can't be allowed to leave, the others I think are very replaceable so I don't want a deal that will hinder resigning Jackson in the future.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Report: Packers 'in the mix' for Bears S Adrian Amos
The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams “in the mix” for Chicago Bears free-agent safety Adrian Amos, according to Bill Huber of Packer Report.

Amos, a 50-game starter for the Bears over the last four seasons, is one of the best safeties left on the market after a flurry of activity at the position to start the legal tampering period Monday.

Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu, Kenny Vaccaro and Lamarcus Joyner all agreed to new deals.

The Packers desperately need veteran help at the position, and signing Amos would have the added benefit of weakening a division rival.

this would suck if he goes to Goon Bay
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin