QB Kyler Murray officially measured at 5-10 at NFL combine

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

QB Kyler Murray officially measured at 5-10 at NFL scouting combine
INDIANAPOLIS – Arguably the most speculated set of physical measurements in the history of the NFL draft is officially in the books. And as it turns out, Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray stacks up well with Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, another short stature NFL quarterback who challenged the league’s “prototype” mold.

Murray’s official height: 5-foot-10 and 1/8th.

His weight: 207 pounds.

His hand size: 9 1/2 inches.

All in all, those were considered positive numbers Thursday, with Murray coming in heavier than his 190s playing weight at Oklahoma and taller than many NFL team executives expected. Prior to Thursday, several league sources who spoke with Yahoo Sports believed his height would measure a shade under 5-10.

Interestingly, even his hand size raised eyebrows, as some thought his hands would be something slightly under 9 inches. Generally, Murray’s 9 1/2 inches are considered a solid hand size for franchise quarterbacks. That’s key, given the questions about whether a player of Murray’s size could have ball security or durability questions in the NFL.

While some of Murray’s other digits fall below the league’s classic “prototype” for franchise quarterbacks – which generally hovers in the zip code of 6-4 and 220 pounds – they stack up well with Wilson, who came into the combine with similar measurables (5-10 and 5/8ths height, 204 pounds, 10 1/4 inch hands). That’s important for NFL teams that are considering Murray at the top of the draft and wondering whether he could have success similar to Wilson, who has been the NFL’s most successful quarterback under 5-11.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
EricTighe
MVP

I swear one-year wonders scare the hell out of me. So glad we are not up there this year. Wish him the best though seems like a great kid.

All this comparison to Wilson needs to stop. Wilson had a history of a few years before he was drafted.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The media hype is going to drive him into the high first. In reality he should be a 2nd or 3rd at best.

I look for him to not pan out and go back to baseball when his guaranteed money if up in the nfl.
wab
Mod

Having watch him here locally in high school and and then following him through college...he can play. He's crazy accurate and has a hell of an arm. If the dude was 2-4 inches taller, he'd be the unquestioned #1 prospect in the draft.

Now having said that... his height does limit him some and he's definitely going to need to go to a team who can scheme to his benefit.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Reports say his interviews went terribly
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.